Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizgirl

Those groups are the bane of my existence and I wish they'd all be reduced to smoldering craters. Nothing good comes out of unofficial mombook university parent pages other than misinformation and "7 Hot Tips to try and beat the system to get exactly what you want at this school". It's like a support group for helicopter parents and alumni reliving their college years vicariously through their kids, often against their children's will.
I avoided it over many years of college parenthood. But this year it's been helpful for things like how and where to get Covid tests (since it's constantly changing). But dang, I'm certainly ready to ditch it when this is over.

DisneyDebRob

Been there pre-COVID and did want to return then. Besides why would anyone want to go to a suburb of New York.
Put me in the minority.. I prefer jersey to NY. Now I’m talking the shore line of course. Maybe it’s the fudge and salt water taffy. Or maybe it’s manco and manco pizza. One of those 3 I’m sure. Love the shows in NY but I treat it like philly where I live close.. get in.. see a show, grab a bite maybe.. get out.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Put me in the minority.. I prefer jersey to NY. Now I’m talking the shore line of course. Maybe it’s the fudge and salt water taffy. Or maybe it’s manco and manco pizza. One of those 3 I’m sure. Love the shows in NY but I treat it like philly where I live close.. get in.. see a show, grab a bite maybe.. get out.

I Love NY, I Love NJ. I'm an existential problem in tights.

Flugell

Hello all, thank you so much for all your good wishes, kind thoughts and concerns. Well our son says he still has no taste or smell and feels like he has a hangover without the pleasure? Of over drinking. He’s coping and says he’s not short of breath. We are all brass players so hope that will help our lungs, it will be interesting to see. Husband and I had our tests this morning so are awaiting results, probably tomorrow so will update then. At the moment we have sore throats and a headache so not a problem yet. Feel overwhelmed by the kindness shown by you all.

Heppenheimer

I'm fine if the rest of the country thinks everything in New Jersey looks like Newark. It will keep them from discovering (and ruining) Ocean City and the rest of Cape May County.

Said someone from Ohio when I showed them the OC boardwalk: "There's no chains here.", like it was a bad thing.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Hello all, thank you so much for all your good wishes, kind thoughts and concerns. Well our son says he still has no taste or smell and feels like he has a hangover without the pleasure? Of over drinking. He’s coping and says he’s not short of breath. We are all brass players so hope that will help our lungs, it will be interesting to see. Husband and I had our tests this morning so are awaiting results, probably tomorrow so will update then. At the moment we have sore throats and a headache so not a problem yet. Feel overwhelmed by the kindness shown by you all.
I found Ludens throat lozenges and something to dry my nasal and throat passages helped if you develop the cough. It is wearing to try to move all that out of your lungs. Day and Night Quill helped as well as an expectorant. Critical is keeping the lungs clear enough to breathe.
I hope it does not progress to that point for any of you, be mild and wild if you can.
Thanks for posting

Flugell

I found Ludens throat lozenges and something to dry my nasal and throat passages helped if you develop the cough. It is wearing to try to move all that out of your lungs. Day and Night Quill helped as well as an expectorant. Critical is keeping the lungs clear enough to breathe.
I hope it does not progress to that point for any of you, be mild and wild if you can.
Thanks for posting
Thanks for the advice! I will see what is similar in the U.K. As for being mild and wild- I’m not convinced that the world is ready for me to follow that advice............ but it sure sounds fun! Might play my flugelhorn at strange times of the day and night if my lungs start clogging!

Nutso4Disney

In the Parks
No
I live in Delaware and went to college in Philly. I have been to New Jersey many times and also New York City as well on occasion. I think both Jersey and New York offer two different types of atmospheres. The shores of Jersey are great and the shopping, shows, and dining in NYC is outstanding.

JoeCamel

Thanks for the advice! I will see what is similar in the U.K. As for being mild and wild- I’m not convinced that the world is ready for me to follow that advice............ but it sure sounds fun! Might play my flugelhorn at strange times of the day and night if my lungs start clogging!

I was wondering if your name referred to a horn!

I live in Delaware and went to college in Philly. I have been to New Jersey many times and also New York City as well on occasion. I think both Jersey and New York offer two different types of atmospheres. The shores of Jersey are great and the shopping, shows, and dining in NYC is outstanding.

There are places in New Jersey that are nice no question but others......

and I have to hear the squak....

Bracing for impact

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1600952257361.png

1600952298495.png

Heppenheimer

Interesting study, still needs peer review. More contagious but not more deadly.
At least, if the mutation only resulted in a higher density of spike proteins, and not a fundamental change in the structure of the proteins, this shouldn't change the efficacy of the vaccines under study right now. In theory, it could even make them more effective if it gives the antibodies more antigens to target.

GimpYancIent

Interesting study, still needs peer review. More contagious but not more deadly.
Ugh. Since this illness came on scene an army of medical experts has arisen with a broad spectrum of opinions based on an equally broad series of studies, with more either underway or being developed. On top of that there are more so called experts reviewing and debating those opinions. In short A LOT OF WHEEL SPINNING producing a lot of smoke, no forward progress. The mask issue should not be an issue (wearing masks in public makes sense) Duh! because how the disease spreads is no longer news. All the social distancing and sanitation / disinfecting protocols make sense. Vaccines are in the works just not ready for mass distribution and they are not 100% effective. Got it! The stat no one wants to speak of is the most important one that in the neighborhood of 99.6% of the people that contract the illness resolve, get better, recover. Why is that not emphasized instead of the gloom, doom and sadness? No one is denying that some people die from COVID19 that is a hard fact that also applies to a host of other infections that existed prior to COVID, you know what!, those other infections are still with us. I wish people did not die from infections a sad fact that sometimes happens. COVID19 is not an automatic death sentence it is a serious illness that can be dealt with, yes respected, but not feared. WDW has set a high bar to deal with this issue and continue to function with the capability to have more activities.

Reactions: JFP

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Ugh. Since this illness came on scene an army of medical experts has arisen with a broad spectrum of opinions based on an equally broad series of studies, with more either underway or being developed. On top of that there are more so called experts reviewing and debating those opinions. In short A LOT OF WHEEL SPINNING producing a lot of smoke, no forward progress. The mask issue should not be an issue (wearing masks in public makes sense) Duh! because how the disease spreads is no longer news. All the social distancing and sanitation / disinfecting protocols make sense. Vaccines are in the works just not ready for mass distribution and they are not 100% effective. Got it! The stat no one wants to speak of is the most important one that in the neighborhood of 99.6% of the people that contract the illness resolve, get better, recover. Why is that not emphasized instead of the gloom, doom and sadness? No one is denying that some people die from COVID19 that is a hard fact that also applies to a host of other infections that existed prior to COVID, you know what!, those other infections are still with us. I wish people did not die from infections a sad fact that sometimes happens. COVID19 is not an automatic death sentence it is a serious illness that can be dealt with, yes respected, but not feared. WDW has set a high bar to deal with this issue and continue to function with the capability to have more activities.
I think many times, even in your own very post, what gets lost in all this is that it seems that death is the only barometer of how serious this virus is. 99.6% you say recover, get better or resolve but what percent of that are folks that had the most brutal virus of their lives, whether it be a few days, weeks or in some cases months. This virus is still new, so yes you will always have many medical experts theorizing, and that is ok, that is how you learn more about the virus, even if the theory is wrong and disproven, because you can at least rule out certain theory's.

DisneyDebRob

I was just posting a recent finding that needs to be looked at more.

As for the rest of your post, I think most people know the percentage of people that recover. That doesn’t need to be the headline. Whether it’s 1% or 10% or anything in between that may die from this, the most important thing is finding a cure. That should be the headline daily.
You also left out although the percentage is low of people actually dying, there are thousands left with ailments that will be with them the rest of their lives by most reports. So finding a solution is priority one.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Yes most people recover, but what we don't have good handle on yet is what is the prognosis for the ones that survived. How many have permanent damage? How many years will the virus cut off the life expectancy. Most people who get Chicken Pox recover, but 40 or 50 years later it can come back to bite them. Currently just to many unknowns.

dreday3

I was just posting a recent finding that needs to be looked at more.

As for the rest of your post, I think most people know the percentage of people that recover. That doesn’t need to be the headline. Whether it’s 1% or 10% or anything in between that may die from this, the most important thing is finding a cure. That should be the headline daily.
You also left out although the percentage is low of people actually dying, there are thousands left with ailments that will be with them the rest of their lives by most reports. So finding a solution is priority one.

Yes most people recover, but what we don't have good handle on yet is what is the prognosis for the ones that survived. How many have permanent damage? How many years will the virus cut off the life expectancy. Most people who get Chicken Pox recover, but 40 or 50 years later it can come back to bite them. Currently just to many unknowns.

Where are the reports/studies of the chronic conditions from Covid?

I'm being serious with that question. I've read anecdotal reports on social media sites, seen various headlines on news-sites, but I've not seen an actual study.

I'd like to know the severity and types of the chronic conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom