Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I’m just concerned it’s history repeating itself. FL moved a little too quickly the first time they re-opened, why not wait for numbers to stabilize and go down some more? It could end up being fine.
Maybe received continuous pleas from these business owners and worked something out?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Maybe received continuous pleas from these business owners and worked something out?
Let’s hope the owners learned their lessons too. Slow and steady wins the race. Allowing huge crowds or not having proper restrictions will lead right back to shut down. Use Disney as a guideline. They may not be making great profits but at least they are open and making some money.

Miss Bella

Because I haven't heard about it to celebrate it until you post it with a nasty ideological snark?

We're posting daily the numbers. Not only when they go up, but when they go down. But sure, demonize us for not mentioning and celebrating what happens in one town with regard to a CV unit.
It’s a continuing theme on this thread. I never referenced you or anyone in particular.

Last edited:

Touchdown

It’s going to spike again, and not because of colleges. The Midwest is getting hit, behold Wisconsin:

978E1458-5753-432F-A42B-BA5500F2CD1A.jpeg

While at big outbreak at UW Madison does skew these numbers, my county is no where near UW. We have a population of 184k. Today alone out of only 122 people tested we had 64 positives or a positivity rate of 52%. The virus is going more rural and to areas that avoided it as first as people let their guard down. September is another June, all hell is going to break lose in new hotspots next month, and yet again we do nothing to stop it. My hospital is about to activate our surge plan as something unheard of happened over the weekend, we filled every single one of our beds.

Do not let your guard down, this thing is just recalibrating and will spike bigger and worse then ever next month. Until we have a vaccine or are willing to take drastic action this scourge will continue to be with us. I no longer hold much hope for numbers continuing to fall.

Miss Bella

It’s going to spike again, and not because of colleges. The Midwest is getting hit, behold Wisconsin:

View attachment 497892

While at big outbreak at UW Madison does skew these numbers, my county is no where near UW. We have a population of 184k. Today alone out of only 122 people tested we had 64 positives or a positivity rate of 52%. The virus is going more rural and to areas that avoided it as first as people let their guard down. September is another June, all hell is going to break lose in new hotspots next month, and yet again we do nothing to stop it. My hospital is about to activate our surge plan as something unheard of happened over the weekend, we filled every single one of our beds.

Do not let your guard down, this thing is just recalibrating and will spike bigger and worse then ever next month. Until we have a vaccine or are willing to take drastic action this scourge will continue to be with us. I no longer hold much hope for numbers continuing to fall.
You're having community spread and a surge like many hospitals in the sunbelt. You'll get through it just like we did.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

One of the important metrics in the CDC reopening guidelines was to have a positivity rate below 5% for 14 days straight (on average I think?) before moving onto the next reopening step. Florida is getting close to that so I wouldn’t be surprised if something is on the table around letting up on a restriction or two. Now, there are other metrics as well. I just cannot remember the numbers off the top of my head.
DeSantis had a presser a couple of days ago where he was indicating 1 -2 weeks to stage 3 in many places. That is full open for bars etc. Still sanitation and other measures but no limit on gathering. Orlando and Disney were mentioned.

rowrbazzle

No I was referring to previous positive articles posted by myself and others over the last several months.
Ah, gotcha. I've been burned many times in the past six months when it comes to good news. Sometimes it's hard to get excited by a positive development when it has so often been followed by reversals.

That being said, things definitely seem to be improving in many places. Hopefully the trend continues.

DisneyCane

Does a mayor have those types of emergency powers to override a directive from the state? Very interesting.
They do (at least in Florida) if the governor doesn't state that his executive order supercedes local orders. So far, he has allowed cities and counties to have more strict restrictions. He has specifically allowed Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties to be on a different timetable from the rest of the state from the start of reopening.

Last edited:

Kevin_W

View attachment 497892

Well, Ohio is considered Midwest and the numbers here for positivity:

1600170811052.png

Even direct neighbor Illinois is only seeing marginal % positivity creep, and Chicago is going down. It seems to be making its way everywhere, and right now it's the more rural areas of the country that were initially spared.

DisneyCane

View attachment 497892

With a 52% positive rate and only 122 tests it doesn't seem like too many random, asymptomatic people were tested. I don't think I'd look at those results as a sign of a significant increase in disease prevalence.

DisneyDebRob

CT has modified its travel restrictions to offer COVID-19 tests when you get off the plane with results in 24-48 hours. Negative test=no quarantine. I presume more people can handle a day or two compared to 14.
Let’s hope the majority will handle 2 days. That’s much better. Some can’t stay in one place for a hour or two. Anyway, when you say offering... it’s not mandatory I’m guessing? Are they charging for it? Was wondering. Thanks.

Touchdown

Well, Ohio is considered Midwest and the numbers here for positivity:

View attachment 497911

Even direct neighbor Illinois is only seeing marginal % positivity creep, and Chicago is going down. It seems to be making its way everywhere, and right now it's the more rural areas of the country that were initially spared.

Exactly, it’s in rural areas, you know the places with far less hospitals to absorb this load.

Touchdown

With a 52% positive rate and only 122 tests it doesn't seem like too many random, asymptomatic people were tested. I don't think I'd look at those results as a sign of a significant increase in disease prevalence.

Your 1st sentence is partially true, but as a person who orders the tests, we are still screening pre op and nursing home admissions so we are still randomly sampling. Your second sentence is wrong though, in the past 2 weeks we’ve gone from having 20-30 positives a day to 50-84 a day, hospitalizations are up too. My area is blowing up, we will likely have triple digit new cases despite our low test rate this week.

We aren’t testing enough because our tests have been diverted, but we are still getting a massive increase. I wish I could pull out my county data on a graph but I haven’t found a good place to do this.

If you aren’t from a major city, you likely haven’t seen much of it, but it’s starting to hit rural areas (Florida too per Pinguins chart) and before you realize it your community is going to be over run. There is zero political will to take the steps to avoid this, and we still don’t have enough testing to test our way out of it. It’s happening in my community and it’s heart breaking.

Kevin_W

Exactly, it’s in rural areas, you know the places with far less hospitals to absorb this load.

Except this isn't a gunshot wound or a heart attack that requires immediate care/hospitalization. In the most rural area of Ohio you can be at a major hospital in about an hour. I'm sure it's a bit longer in Montata or Wyoming, but a car and a full tank of gas will get you to a hospital.

Touchdown

Except this isn't a gunshot wound or a heart attack that requires immediate care/hospitalization. In the most rural area of Ohio you can be at a major hospital in about an hour. I'm sure it's a bit longer in Montata or Wyoming, but a car and a full tank of gas will get you to a hospital.

Only if that hospital has room. We have two hospitals in Appleton and one in Neenah. Those 3 hospitals are the tericiary care facilities for a 60+ mile radius that covers a good chunk of central and north central Wisconsin. The Green Bay hospitals cover the UP and the Northeast Wisconsin. For the few conditions that are too complex for our facility we do rarely transfer patients to the two University hospitals in Milwaukee and Madison. In normal times they are typically full, but now it’s taken 3-5 days in some cases to transfer patients down there. There is no excess capacity when we get full, that’s why we are adding beds into what is usually not patient care areas. Our numbers are still rising, which means hospitalizations will continue to rise too.

On top of that people rarely drive themselves to other hospitals, they go to their local ER. Once they are seen and deemed sick enough to warrant admission to the hospital they need to remain in medical care at all times, having them drive to another hospital is deemed medically negligent. They need an ambulance to transfer them, and for every ambulance that gets told to make the 4+ hour round trip south that’s one less ambulance crew in my city. You just can’t ship people around like packages.

Chi84

Premium Member
Illinois had a surge in July - August, but the hospitalizations remained flat. State officials thought it was because younger people were getting sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom