Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
One of the things we have learned is that various social media platforms are not just an inconsequential lark. One of the harsh realities of psychology that we never want to acknowledge is that we are all a lot more impressionable than we realize. Any one individual post may not be of consequence but it is part of a normalizing process that does lead to not only the acceptance of misinformation which does eventually influence action. Action does not have to be deliberate, big actions either. Just repeating the misinformation can be a negative action, or even unconscious acts such as being less mindful of how a mask is being worn or distancing.
I don’t disagree with what you or @ImperfectPixie are saying. An echo chamber of misinformation is dangerous if people act on it. I just think sometimes there’s not much you can do to stop that. Challenging people only makes them dig in more. It’s a no win situation.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Today, we received an update from Local 362 union President Eric Clinton. When asked for an updated number of Cast Members that remained furloughed when compared to mid-August, Clinton said that there has been no change."

"As highlighted by the Orlando Sentinel’s Gabrrielle Russon, Cast Members stake out spots as early as 4am to collect free groceries from a food bank – the same food bank that furloughed Cast Members are volunteering at. The line for the food bank would grow to 2 miles by the time Magic Kingdom opens its gates a few miles to the west. And the line is getting longer every week due to federal unemployment benefits expiring over a month ago, organizers say."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
"Today, we received an update from Local 362 union President Eric Clinton. When asked for an updated number of Cast Members that remained furloughed when compared to mid-August, Clinton said that there has been no change."

"As highlighted by the Orlando Sentinel’s Gabrrielle Russon, Cast Members stake out spots as early as 4am to collect free groceries from a food bank – the same food bank that furloughed Cast Members are volunteering at. The line for the food bank would grow to 2 miles by the time Magic Kingdom opens its gates a few miles to the west. And the line is getting longer every week due to federal unemployment benefits expiring over a month ago, organizers say."

We need to do a better job as a country making sure people have the help they need. This isn’t going to end any time soon and will only get worse. The government is just so broken right now. It’s heart breaking to see people suffer.

Chip Chipperson

It's not just because it's been politicized. The US economy didn't shut down from the plague, small pox, ebola and e.coli.

That's probably because those things haven't had major impacts in the US. E. coli? Seriously?

There's been a smallpox vaccine since around 1800. https://www.cdc.gov/smallpox/history/history.html

I'm having a difficult time recalling the most recent outbreaks of the plague or ebola in the US that killed 180,000+ people.

deeevo

We need to do a better job as a country making sure people have the help they need. This isn’t going to end any time soon and will only get worse. The government is just so broken right now. It’s heart breaking to see people suffer.

Huh? People got a $1200 check plus $600 a week from March 27, 2020 through July 31, 2020 on top of their unemployment checks from the state. That's over 2K a month. People are hiring other than Disney you know. Orlando has a good amount of manufacturing jobs.

Last edited:

Jwink

Huh? People got a $1200 check plus $600 a week from March 27, 2020 through July 31, 2020 on top of their unemployment checks from the state. That's over 2K a month. People are hiring other than Disney you know. Orlando has a good amount of manufacturing jobs.
🤔🤔 that’s funny... I know a dozen of very skilled people applying for the same 30 openings at various jobs... that 1 million other Floridians are applying for... yet... nobody has been hired

Jwink

Anyone think the CDC needs to come out and clarify the 6% thing... or are they too ‘infiltrated’? 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ They obviously didn’t mean that only 6% of deaths were covid-19... so why the mad rush of anti maskers (and other ummm.... like minded citizens) honing in on this (obviously) unimportant separation of covid vs covid+comorbidity deaths? I’d like to think although we differ in opinions they are at least smarter than that...

Tink242424

This is such a shame but good to see there is a food bank available. I live in NJ and can't find a foodbank to donate to. I have tons of food I can donate and no one even responds to my messages. I wish I lived near here so I could take my food to them...

Polkadotdress

People are hiring other than Disney you know. Orlando has a good amount of manufacturing jobs.

Just...no. My mother-in-law, who was (is?) a resort manager, currently furloughed AS THE RESORT IS STILL CLOSED (non-Disney) is just supposed to go get a manufacturing job?

You are drastically oversimplifying the solution, and clearly have no idea the extent of what is actually happening.

And by-the-way, that 2K per month was far less than what she normally made as she is a 20+ yr employee.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - due note the * for 8/31 and read below the graphs. I have also included the graph on the excess cases at the end.

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 2.59.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 2.59.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 2.59.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 2.59.49 PM.png

Here is the additional graph added due to the large data dump from Quest -

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 3.04.35 PM.png

Last edited:

Sorcerer Mickey

Anyone think the CDC needs to come out and clarify the 6% thing... or are they too ‘infiltrated’? 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ They obviously didn’t mean that only 6% of deaths were covid-19... so why the mad rush of anti maskers (and other ummm.... like minded citizens) honing in on this (obviously) unimportant separation of covid vs covid+comorbidity deaths? I’d like to think although we differ in opinions they are at least smarter than that...

It's an easy number to skew. Remember, a lot of people get their information from memes, and this is an easy factoid to twist and package in one sentence.

Jwink

Just...no. My mother-in-law, who was (is?) a resort manager, currently furloughed AS THE RESORT IS STILL CLOSED (non-Disney) is just supposed to go get a manufacturing job?

You are drastically oversimplifying the solution, and clearly have no idea the extent of what is actually happening.

And by-the-way, that 2K per month was far less than what she normally made as she is a 20+ yr employee.
👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 Exactly. People were saying my husband should go work at a grocery store while furloughed so we didn’t have to use government money... and although the $875 a week was less than what he makes as a cast member + his second job... he was supposed to go work for $10/hr making MUUUUCH less while exposing himself to a potentially deadly virus? Nah. He’s good.

funny side note he applied for 7 grocery jobs while furloughed (As a second job option if his second job didn’t need him back) and not one hired him because they filled the positions obviously...

GoofGoof

Premium Member

A good real life example. There are also many workers who work 2 or more jobs to make ends meet and if those jobs are mostly in the restaurant and hospitality industry (housekeeper by day, bartender or waitress part time at night) they aren’t made whole by the less than $300 a week they get from FL unemployment. Even with the extra $600 which has been gone for a month now they may have still been struggling to get by. I doubt too many people are choosing to not work and then getting in line at 4am for food. If there was a job to be had most would prefer to work.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I don’t think anyone should be surprised that having a preexisting condition and then getting Covid enhances your risk for complications, as opposed to not having one and being at a much lower risk. Other than the specific number now mentioned, I wouldn’t think this would be huge news for anyone, unless they have only paid attention to the outliers at either end of the spectrum.

Heppenheimer

I don’t think anyone should be surprised that having a preexisting condition and then getting Covid enhances your risk for complications, as opposed to not having one and being at a much lower risk. Other than the specific number now mentioned, I wouldn’t think this would be huge news for anyone, unless they have only paid attention to the outliers at either end of the spectrum.
I doubt anyone was surprised by that information. I think the deniers were just trying twist the information about comorbidities into the narrative that these patients were actually dying of something else, but being labled COVID-19 because of a test result. This line of reasoning has already been amply demolished multiple times in these threads, so no point in repeating it again.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Exactly. This is the biggest piece of non-news since this all started. We’ve heard from the start that pre-existing conditions put you at much higher risk for serious infection and/or death. That is proved out with the stat that 94% of deaths from Covid have a co-morbidity. The narrative that only 6% of Covid deaths are really from Covid is a complete misunderstanding of the meaning of co-morbidity either from ignorance or more likely intentionally. Then you get idiots tweeting and re-tweeting it and away it goes. The fact that Twitter has removed the original Tweet which came from a conspiracy theory account for violating their policy is irrelevant. Once the tweet was re-tweeted the damage is done and people continue to believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom