Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disstevefan1

When someone says death rates this year are in line with previous years... they lie:

View attachment 494024

See how that first spike correlates to the initial spikes in the tri-state area? See the second spike (which health officials warned us about) correlates to the Southern states' spike?

How could death rates be in line? During the initial outbreak of the CCP virus, patients were immediately put on ventilators and died.

Normally, ventilators are the LAST attempt at saving or prolonging life, patients most of the time do not live to come off the ventilators.

Heppenheimer

How could death rates be in line? During the initial outbreak of the CCP virus, patients were immediately put on ventilators and died.

Normally, ventilators are the LAST attempt at saving or prolonging life, patients most of the time do not live to come off the ventilators.
Not true at all. A ventilator is usually only a temporizing measure, and most patients placed on one (for any reason) successfully wean off within 1-5 days.

Touchdown

Not true at all. A ventilator is usually only a temporizing measure, and most patients placed on one (for any reason) successfully wean off within 1-5 days.

If you are put on a ventilator for a non surgical reason it is because you have developed Acute Respiratory Failure, and without the ventilator you will die in minutes-hours. A lot of the time we are able to reverse this with the extra time a ventilator gives us but does not change the severity of your illness. The Intensive Care Unit is where we treat critically ill patients, everyone who is on a ventilator in an ICU is by definition critically ill.

On average it takes a person 1 week to recover for each day they are on a ventilator, 4 days means you won’t be 100% for a month. It is not something to brush aside.

Heppenheimer

If you are put on a ventilator for a non surgical reason it is because you have developed Acute Respiratory Failure, and without the ventilator you will die in minutes-hours. A lot of the time we are able to reverse this with the extra time a ventilator gives us but does not change the severity of your illness. The Intensive Care Unit is where we treat critically ill patients, everyone who is on a ventilator in an ICU is by definition critically ill.

On average it takes a person 1 week to recover for each day they are on a ventilator, 4 days means you won’t be 100% for a month. It is not something to brush aside.
True, yes, but I was responding to the statement that most people on a ventilator will never come off one, which is certainly not the case.

Touchdown

True, yes, but I was responding to the statement that most people on a ventilator will never come off one, which is certainly not the case.

Most people do, however when it comes to Covid that does not appear to be true. I don’t have the exact numbers, but from anecdotal evidence and the fact that guidelines from Covid explicitly discourage using ventilators if at all possible I would be shocked if we have a 50% recovery in Covid patients that end up on a vent.

rowrbazzle

When someone says death rates this year are in line with previous years... they lie:

View attachment 494024

See how that first spike correlates to the initial spikes in the tri-state area? See the second spike (which health officials warned us about) correlates to the Southern states' spike?

Great info. I wonder why so many states have below normal numbers of deaths at the beginning of the year.

LukeS7

Great info. I wonder why so many states have below normal numbers of deaths at the beginning of the year.
Not 100% sure of NYT's methodology, but it seems like they might be using the upper bound threshold for excess deaths from the CDC's chart as their baseline.

EDIT: After a closer look, NYT is using the "Average expected number of deaths" as the baseline for theirs

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out -

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 10.32.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 10.32.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 10.32.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 10.32.55 AM.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A drop in testing but a positivity rate that is in line with the last week or so. Interesting.

Less tests overall recently are occurring (whether it's due to the latest CDC kerfuffled recommendation, <shrug>).

Which could mean those who have symptoms are making up a larger portion of those who are taking tests, which, in turn, increases the positivity rate; and that's why it's plateauing rather than going down.

Which I hope is the case. OTOH, we seen plenty of these second wave states keep a plateaued positivity rate for months with a slow burn going through the population without abatement.

C'mon Florida, wear your masks, stop the parties, and get it under control!

rowrbazzle

Statistical blip, perhaps?
Not 100% sure of NYT's methodology, but it seems like they might be using the upper bound threshold for excess deaths from the CDC's chart as their baseline.

EDIT: After a closer look, NYT is using the "Average expected number of deaths" as the baseline for theirs
I'm not sure. I assume the expected deaths are on a per-month basis. If you're consistently getting numbers below what you expect, then you're either looking at a change in the pattern or your model needs some adjustment. But once you add in the data from March on, it throws everything off so who knows. I just thought it was interesting.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm not sure. I assume the expected deaths are on a per-month basis. If you're consistently getting numbers below what you expect, then you're either looking at a change in the pattern or your model needs some adjustment. But once you add in the data from March on, it throws everything off so who knows. I just thought it was interesting.

I read of a teacher who, in the Spring, before schools closed, noted the lack of usual school colds and flus, presumably because of increased hygiene vigilance under threat of COVID. So, maybe as people started being more careful and turtling, and before the widespread death toll that swept through nursing homes, the lower numbers were because of that.

Just a hypothesis.

rowrbazzle

I read of a teacher who, in the Spring, before schools closed, noted the lack of usual school colds and flus, presumably because of increased hygiene vigilance under threat of COVID. So, maybe as people started being more careful and turtling, and before the widespread death toll that swept through nursing homes, the lower numbers were because of that.

Just a hypothesis.
Maybe so. Although that doesn't sound like something we'd actually do. 🤔 😄

hopemax

My guess is that 2019-2020 flu season was a touch less severe than the models predicted. I Googled and found an article from April that listed it out by weeks. It didn’t have January, but it did have February. For those weeks it was hitting 95-96% of expected. IMO, that’s pretty accurate. I wouldn’t expect it to be dead on, but wobble around the expected, sometimes high, sometimes low, as long as there isn’t something significant (like a pandemic). The bar graph may be giving the impression that it’s more than a few percentage points? There is no scale shown for the under.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom