Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The Disney temporary salary reductions, which had been open-ended, will be lifted starting August 23., sources say."

SteamboatJoe

"The Disney temporary salary reductions, which had been open-ended, will be lifted starting August 23., sources say."

One would have to think they aren't hurting that bad if they are doing this. Then again, I know next to nothing about how mega corporations like this work, especially at the executive levels. I am sure there are many who think those dollars should be going elsewhere.

JoeCamel

One would have to think they aren't hurting that bad if they are doing this. Then again, I know next to nothing about how mega corporations like this work, especially at the executive levels. I am sure there are many who think those dollars should be going elsewhere.
Tough to have good morale in the ranks you are depending on to pull the company out of the skid if you are restricting their pay. TWDC has plenty of cash for a year or more.

olie64

And that's the problem. There needs to at least be swift, immediate, effective STATE mandates about what to do if there are cases in schools. For every case, a LOT of students (and teachers) would need to be quarantined and those rooms shut down for a few days. That is happening in some places, but not everywhere.
And that's the problem. There needs to at least be swift, immediate, effective STATE mandates about what to do if there are cases in schools. For every case, a LOT of students (and teachers) would need to be quarantined and those rooms shut down for a few days. That is happening in some places, but not everywhere.

i agree the states i think are doing a bunch of cya and not wanting to mandate anythinf

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1598011151537.png

1598011178645.png

DisneyCane

Several weeks ago I posted that I expected the cases in Florida to noticeably decline by mid August, following the same pattern as every other significant outbreak in the world. It definitely noticeably declined.

I also said that I expected the cases to be back to "pre-spike" in early September. Fingers crossed. They may be a little higher due to massively increased testing of asymptomatic people compared to back then.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Case number higher because more people tested yesterday vs day previous.
This is true. If you look at percent positive above 5% and the testing numbers it’s safe to assume that the lower case numbers in the past 4 days are the result of not enough testing. If you look back at 8/14 with 96K tests that’s probably the level of testing needed.

Edit: Here‘s a good summary about how to look at percent positive in relation to total positives:

Last edited:

Jedijax719

This is true. If you look at percent positive above 5% and the testing numbers it’s safe to assume that the lower case numbers in the past 4 days are the result of not enough testing. If you look back at 8/14 with 96K tests that’s probably the level of testing needed.

Edit: Here‘s a good summary about how to look at percent positive in relation to total positives:
Our area has around a 15-17% positive rate. And schools are about to open with choice BUT in our immediate area where we work, about 35-40% of students will be face to face.

As far as kids getting COVID-19 (they can easily contract the virus) and spreading it, I've always assumed the following. Since March, kids have not been heavily exposed as adults. For a couple of months, people didn't go anywhere for the most part. Those who did were essential workers and were thus adults. Kids were at home. Then, when summer came, most summer camps were closed. Those that were open saw a LOT of spreading of the virus. Summer school was all online. So kids really weren't exposed and thus were not the super-spreaders. The reopening of schools has been an eye-opener. Most schools that will offer in-person learning will start within the next 2-3 weeks. That will be the tell tale sign of how well kids can spread. Of course, like I said above, it depends on the % at which kids will be face to face.

Aries1975

Because the media never reported on Ebola in 2014.

I'm not sure if this was sarcasm.

But where I am, NJ, the media reported everyday on the two cases (Dr. in NY and a nurse from Maine). The then governor isolated at the hospital a presumptive positive case. A nurse who had been working with Doctors without Boarders in Africa had a fever when she returned. She sued for unlawful imprisonment which allowed her to finish her 21-day quarantine at her home in Maine.

With Ebola there was a huge advantage in preparedness:
1. We knew it what it was - defined symptoms - before it got here.
2. We had time to acknowledge it may be coming before it got here.
3. We knew where it was before it got here.
4. There was an effective test before it got here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom