Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrb1979

Trending the right way. Hopefully it drops low enough to get off the travel quarantine lists before plateauing again. Needs to get below 2,100 cases a day on average. Getting off those lists could be critical for WDW to have any kind of a holiday bump.
The quarantine list is going to be the last thing in the list for a holiday bump. People need to work to have a Disney vacation and many aren't right now.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The quarantine list is going to be the last thing in the list for a holiday bump. People need to work to have a Disney vacation and many aren't right now.
True, but based on some economic studies I have seen only about 20% of the US workforce is in industries that are the hardest hit by covid. Namely: restaurants, travel, entertainment and physical retail. That means 80% of workers are in industries not as heavily impacted. Here is the bureau of labor statistics study done back in April on impacted industries. It shows that only 20% of the workforce was in highly impacted industries and those workers only made 12% of wages due to a lot of lower paid hourly workers in all of those industries. It is true that there is an ancillary impact to other areas and for some people a general unease to spend frivolously on vacations in a time of crisis, but the point is there is still disposable income out there if the situation improves.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If Florida's Positivity can stay under 10% and they can get their number of new cases down to 2100 or less for 7 days, they can come off the quarantine lists. I hope the light at the end of the tunnel is indeed sunlight and not projection mapping!
I just hope that schools opening physically (especially colleges) don’t cause another spike in numbers. The natural 3 month arc should mean a return to lower cases by mid-September but that could get derailed if there’s another uptick. I actually think nationwide we may see a bit of a dip through Sept/Oct as people just naturally do less outside the home. With many schools going virtual, many offices still remote and the prime vacation season coming to an end the trend should be downward. Just a theory, but here’s to hoping.

oceanbreeze77

If Florida's Positivity can stay under 10% and they can get their number of new cases down to 2100 or less for 7 days, they can come off the quarantine lists. I hope the light at the end of the tunnel is indeed sunlight and not projection mapping!
we MAY see a slight increase because of schools opening, but hopefully it won't be as bad as the summer spike. Hopefully its just a small hill.

hopemax

So actual WDW news, lol.

CM blockout calendar has been updated again. CMs can make reservations for themselves from now - Sept 3rd at MK, AK, and Epcot. The big news is that Main Entrance passes are also valid for making reservations those dates and parks, so CM's can bring in guests.

Jrb1979

So actual WDW news, lol.

CM blockout calendar has been updated again. CMs can make reservations for themselves from now - Sept 3rd at MK, AK, and Epcot. The big news is that Main Entrance passes are also valid for making reservations those dates and parks, so CM's can bring in guests.
Yippee 🙄. All this tells me is reservations are not there for the people they really want in the parks. Its going to be along while before Disney sees the high profits coming in.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"University of Notre Dame President Fr. John Jenkins announced today that in-person classes are suspended, effective Wednesday, replaced by remote instruction only for the next two weeks because positive rates for the coronavirus continue to climb:"

"Until further notice, off-campus students should not visit campus. On-campus students should refrain from leaving campus except under emergency circumstances. Student gatherings off or on campus are restricted to 10 people or fewer."

Kman

Well, for a country with 1.4B people, the number of cases for the past five months is only about 500. The number of deaths: 15.

Right now, there's only a handful of cases that they're contact tracing.

And when there is a surprise pop-up of CV, they immediately lock down the town until it's under control.

You can't trust any of their numbers. Most data from China should be assumed to be untrue or skewed.

Kevin_W

"University of Notre Dame President Fr. John Jenkins announced today that in-person classes are suspended, effective Wednesday, replaced by remote instruction only for the next two weeks because positive rates for the coronavirus continue to climb:"

"Until further notice, off-campus students should not visit campus. On-campus students should refrain from leaving campus except under emergency circumstances. Student gatherings off or on campus are restricted to 10 people or fewer."

A friend of mine is faculty at ND. According to him, most of the cases are because of 2 off campus parties (08/06 and 08/09) where masks and social distancing were not observed. Sad to hear.

Tom P.

A friend of mine is faculty at ND. According to him, most of the cases are because of 2 off campus parties (08/06 and 08/09) where masks and social distancing were not observed. Sad to hear.
If anyone expects college students to obey COVID-19 restrictions while living away from their parents on college campuses, they need to have their head examined. It's just not going to happen. Colleges may as well just accept now that they are going to end up all virtual sooner rather than later because they cannot control their students' behavior. Saying "we're coming back to campus with strict social distancing and mask guidelines in place" sounds great on paper, but will never happen in real life.

Jedijax719

I just hope that schools opening physically (especially colleges) don’t cause another spike in numbers. The natural 3 month arc should mean a return to lower cases by mid-September but that could get derailed if there’s another uptick. I actually think nationwide we may see a bit of a dip through Sept/Oct as people just naturally do less outside the home. With many schools going virtual, many offices still remote and the prime vacation season coming to an end the trend should be downward. Just a theory, but here’s to hoping.
They will. Unless they don't report cases, the opening of schools will certainly cause a spike. How big and how long depends on where it is and how it is handled.

In a typical high school, if one student (or teacher) gets COVID-19, then every student in every one of their classes need to be quarantined for 14 days. That won't happen in many places so.....well......there ya go.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If anyone expects college students to obey COVID-19 restrictions while living away from their parents on college campuses, they need to have their head examined. It's just not going to happen. Colleges may as well just accept now that they are going to end up all virtual sooner rather than later because they cannot control their students' behavior. Saying "we're coming back to campus with strict social distancing and mask guidelines in place" sounds great on paper, but will never happen in real life.
I think it’s a money thing for a lot of schools. People are already griping that they should get money back if the University is all virtual so if you at least start with physical classes you avoid some of those gripes. Then when you pivot from physical to virtual you blame the student‘s behavior for the spike in cases and bingo...no refunds for anyone.

DisneyDebRob

I think it’s a money thing for a lot of schools. People are already griping that they should get money back if the University is all virtual so if you at least start with physical classes you avoid some of those gripes. Then when you pivot from physical to virtual you blame the student‘s behavior for the spike in cases and bingo...no refunds for anyone.
So it’s now UNC sending all the kids home.. ND thinking about doing the same thing... now Michigan State going fully remote for the semester. Is there any word of any other schools?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So it’s now UNC sending all the kids home.. ND thinking about doing the same thing... now Michigan State going fully remote for the semester. Is there any word of any other schools?
I know there’s were a bunch of colleges that didn’t even try to start physical. I think Pitt also had an outbreak their first week. I wonder how the ACC football season continues if UNC and Notre Dame both pull out and there are issues at Pitt and other schools as well. Seems like the college football season is hanging by a very worn thread. If one more conference shuts it down the other 2 will have no choice but to follow.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here’s some more info on colleges. Tough situation. Based on the diagram in the article it looks like only about 25% are trying to go back full in person, but some of those schools are already pivoting away from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom