Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

monykalyn

Not sure about in FL, but a lot of college plans I have seen are not doing live lectures in large lecture halls like that. They will be virtual where the students just watch a stream of the lecture. Since there is usually very little interaction between professors and students in that setting it’s no big loss. Smaller classes where there’s more interaction between professor and students would still be live but with masks and as much distancing as possible in the classroom. I think in FL they can require masks for all students. Not sure if that has been spelled out at the schools though.
My daughter starts at UCF next week. Move in is Tuesday. She has to have a covid test first, we ALL are required to wear masks even in car while this testing is done. ONly 2 people to assist move in and masks at all times. She had to sign up for specific time slot for both her test and move in-probably to avoid the long lines seen at other colleges (like Ohio state I think it was??). We are to stay in car until this is complete and she is ok to move in. I don't think she gets results until a few days later. Most of her classes are virtual, with the labs in person, and small sizes. The university has rooms set aside for quarantine as needed. If she were to test positive at this test though we would quarantine off campus with her (and we'd all be 100% asymptomatic too IF she were positive) We have gotten lots of information, and specific instructions on this, plus UCF has a "parents orientation" that has been virtual all summer to let parents know about campus policies, orientation, housing etc, along with time each week to ask questions. UCF at least seems to have their act together. All classes move to online after Thanksgiving break. No word yet -and I don't expect there to be until later this fall- on when/if classes will start with in-person/hybrid etc for spring.
COVID is as stated 10-20% of patients.
I wonder how they came to that percentage? did they test ALL CV19 patients? including mild/asymptomatic - which seems to be the vast majority? Glad they are catching this before playing though. Too often it is diagnosed after an athlete has collapsed/died.
Hubs oldest daughter is researcher in myocarditis at Mayo clinic in Jacksonville. Will ask her what she thinks of this when we see her again this weekend.

No plans for Disney this week as opted for refund instead on AP. Planning Universal again a couple times though. Had to do some final shopping for college freshman-have to say saw 100% mask compliance everywhere we went. Weird how quickly one can get used to grabbing purse/wallet, keys and mask as if mask is just routine lol-ok guess now it is?.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My daughter starts at UCF next week. Move in is Tuesday. She has to have a covid test first, we ALL are required to wear masks even in car while this testing is done. ONly 2 people to assist move in and masks at all times. She had to sign up for specific time slot for both her test and move in-probably to avoid the long lines seen at other colleges (like Ohio state I think it was??). We are to stay in car until this is complete and she is ok to move in. I don't think she gets results until a few days later. Most of her classes are virtual, with the labs in person, and small sizes. The university has rooms set aside for quarantine as needed. If she were to test positive at this test though we would quarantine off campus with her (and we'd all be 100% asymptomatic too IF she were positive) We have gotten lots of information, and specific instructions on this, plus UCF has a "parents orientation" that has been virtual all summer to let parents know about campus policies, orientation, housing etc, along with time each week to ask questions. UCF at least seems to have their act together. All classes move to online after Thanksgiving break. No word yet -and I don't expect there to be until later this fall- on when/if classes will start with in-person/hybrid etc for spring.
I think the Thanksgiving plan is being universally adopted by almost all Universities at this point. Having everyone leave campus and then come back with only a few weeks left makes no sense. I think the schools are hoping that once kids get to campus if they mostly stay there then that will help keep the infection rate down. I think it depends on the school and the location. For Urban Universities in the middle of a city there’s going to be a lot more movement on and off campus. For more suburban and rural campuses they can almost create an NBA bubble type experience.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I wouldn’t call myself an alarmist, but I commented a bajillion pages ago that I think the NE should try some sort of return to school.
I didn’t say the Northeast. I said New Jersey. How low do cases/hospitalizations/deaths have to go for kids to go back to school 5 days a week?

Jrb1979

I didn’t say the Northeast. I said New Jersey. How low do cases/hospitalizations/deaths have to go for kids to go back to school 5 days a week?
I don't know the answer. Kids are going back to school here 5 days a week. They have to wear a mask and there is only 15 kids per class. Why that couldn't work for New Jersey I don't know

BrianLo

I have a question for the alarmists....

Look at New Jersey. Why aren’t we fully reopened? Why are many schools going fully virtual?

Would love to have this answered.

Likely because the first wave hit the region so hard, they are being more cautious heading into the Fall. We've seen some fairly badly impacted European countries (Spain and Belgium) start up a second already.

Touchdown

Northeast: ME, NH, MA, VT, RI, CT, NJ, NY, DE, PA, aka the colonies (or territories of said colonies) located North of the Mason Dixon Line.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Northeast: ME, NH, MA, VT, RI, CT, NJ, NY, DE, PA, aka the colonies (or territories of said colonies) located North of the Mason Dixon Line.
Yes. I was specific. I’m speaking of one state, easier to discuss this way. How low do NJs numbers have to get, to open schools full time? What about restaurants and gyms?

Touchdown

I don’t know if their are specific numbers, but I would open schools prior to restaurants and gyms as they are far more important to society. However, the Teachers Union is very strong in NJ, I suspect that’s why there is pushback.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I don’t know if their are specific numbers, but I would open schools prior to restaurants and gyms as they are far more important to society. However, the Teachers Union is very strong in NJ, I suspect that’s why there is pushback.
I’m asking you. You have a lot of thoughts on Covid. Look at New Jersey’s numbers. Really look at them. Should kids be in school full time?

Touchdown

I’m asking you. You have a lot of thoughts on Covid. Look at New Jersey’s numbers. Really look at them. Should kids be in school full time?

Full time, only if you can socially distance (which I’m guessing they can’t due to lack of space.). For older kids you would probably need to do a hybrid schedule (2 days in, 3 out) and find someway to get more space for the younger set (K-3rd grade.). To keep them full time as socialization skills are so important for them.

But I would do it now.

Jrb1979

Full time, only if you can socially distance (which I’m guessing they can’t due to lack of space.). For older kids you would probably need to do a hybrid schedule (2 days in, 3 out) and find someway to get more space for the younger set (K-3rd grade.). To keep them full time as socialization skills are so important for them.

But I would do it now.
Its exactly how they are planning on doing school here in Ontario. They just have kids grade 4 and up wear a mask.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes. I was specific. I’m speaking of one state, easier to discuss this way. How low do NJs numbers have to get, to open schools full time? What about restaurants and gyms?
This is how PA is doing it. They created 3 tiers based on level of community spread (over 7 days) and each county is in one of the 3 tiers:
  1. LOW: Full in-person schooling is possible for the counties in the low tier.
  2. MODERATE: Blended schooling, described as a hybrid mix of in-person and virtual learning, is possible for schools in the moderate tier.
  3. SUBSTANTIAL: All-virtual schooling is recommended for districts in the substantial tier.
Here is how the state determines the tiers:
  • LOW: Incidence rates per 100,000 residents of less than 10 AND positivity test rates of less than 5%
  • MODERATE: Incidence rates per 100,000 residents of less than 100 OR positivity test rates between 5% and 10%
  • SUBSTANTIAL: Incidence rates per 100,000 residents of more than 100 OR positivity test rates of more than 10%
The state is just listing this as a guideline but the school districts ultimately make the call. My district falls in the MODERATE category since our percent positive is under 5% but our positives come in a little under 40 which keeps us out of LOW. My district has elected to go virtual vs doing the hybrid model, in our case it was the parent‘s choice. I think physical school had a shot to work, but after seeing the plan for how the virtual system will work I’m pretty encouraged.

I have no idea what NJ’s requirements are. I know a bunch of people I work with who live closer the the Philly part of the state have the option and most have opted for virtual for various reasons.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

But I would do it now.
Well we aren’t doing it now. There’s a mix of Hybrid and fully virtual. And many parents are keeping their kids home regardless of the school plans. In my wife’s grade, 30% of kids won’t be attending school. In a town that hasn’t had a positive corona test in weeks.
Its exactly how they are planning on doing school here in Ontario. They just have kids grade 4 and up wear a mask.
Not here. They want to mask kindergarten
This is how PA is doing it. They created 3 tiers based on level of community spread (over 7 days) and each county is in one of the 3 tiers:
  1. LOW: Full in-person schooling is possible for the counties in the low tier.
  2. MODERATE: Blended schooling, described as a hybrid mix of in-person and virtual learning, is possible for schools in the moderate tier.
  3. SUBSTANTIAL: All-virtual schooling is recommended for districts in the substantial tier.
Here is how the state determines the tiers:
  • LOW: Incidence rates per 100,000 residents of less than 10 AND positivity test rates of less than 5%
  • MODERATE: Incidence rates per 100,000 residents of less than 100 OR positivity test rates between 5% and 10%
  • SUBSTANTIAL: Incidence rates per 100,000 residents of more than 100 OR positivity test rates of more than 10%
The state is just listing this as a guideline but the school districts ultimately make the call. My district falls in the MODERATE category since our percent positive is under 5% but our positives come in a little under 40 which keeps us out of LOW. My district has elected to go virtual vs doing the hybrid model, in our case it was the parent‘s choice. I think physical school had a shot to work, but after seeing the plan for how the virtual system will work I’m pretty encouraged.

I have no idea what NJ’s requirements are. I know a bunch of people I work with who live closer the the Philly part of the state have the option and most have opted for virtual for various reasons.
interesting plan. Begs the question? When does school just go back to normal? How low do cases need to go?

Also, interesting you don’t know NJs requirements. No one does. Not teachers, not parents, not admins.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
interesting plan. Begs the question? When does school just go back to normal? How low do cases need to go?

Also, interesting you don’t know NJs requirements. No one does. Not teachers, not parents, not admins.
My opinion is that our best chance to get a few months of school in would have been to open school physically in Sept. I had no delusions that it would get off without any issues but my hope was we could make it to maybe Nov before having to pivot to all virtual again. They are saying it’s all virtual for the first marking period which ends in November so we may start up physical school then...just in time for cold and flu season. Unless the virtual school fails miserably I’m not hopeful of physical school until maybe the Spring and that assumes a vaccine is out and distributed some time in Q1. At this point I’m hoping that my kids get 3+ months of physical school in to end the year.

Otherwise on that random day in March last school year both my kids will have spent their last physical day as a student in each of their schools which is really sad for them and me :( especially the younger one since he’s our last kid going through that elementary school and we know the staff and most of the teachers so well. No closure just sucks.

SirLink

Likely because the first wave hit the region so hard, they are being more cautious heading into the Fall. We've seen some fairly badly impacted European countries (Spain and Belgium) start up a second already.

Just like to point out regarding to both Spain and Belgium - they aren't out of their first waves yet. To be classified as a second wave their has to be a break where there is no cases of covid-19 in the community, which has not been the case. The areas that did suffer initially are not the areas who are getting affected now.

The simple answer is do the New Zealand model but even they are getting imported cases from returning residents. A vaccine can't come soon enough and that is the answer, it is not an issue of 'if' but 'when'

hopemax

This is a very interesting read! Been lurking on this thread for quite a while, and there are a couple of posters on here that are either masterful trolls, or very detached from reality. Like, someone would post a photo showing 2 + 2 = 4 and these people would go See! Incontrovertible truth showing that 2 + 2 = 5! And the rest of us are like, what the actual...?

Interesting to read some explanation of how that happens to people.
But 2+2 = 5 :D I am aware of the part of the Internet that is freaking out about it, and I laugh because in my college engineering / math classes 25 years ago taught "the joke with a point," and no one flipped out. Stupid, brain-washing liberal education. Take that article, it literally says, "The key thing is not so much Santa Claus." and we are provided an example that to some that's exactly what the article boiled down to. Adaptability is key component to continued human survival. Adaptability isn't, in the face of a new danger, proceed without adjustments. Caution =/ Fear. Coping mechanisms are useful, but so is awareness of them, especially your own.

Jedijax719

My opinion is that our best chance to get a few months of school in would have been to open school physically in Sept. I had no delusions that it would get off without any issues but my hope was we could make it to maybe Nov before having to pivot to all virtual again. They are saying it’s all virtual for the first marking period which ends in November so we may start up physical school then...just in time for cold and flu season. Unless the virtual school fails miserably I’m not hopeful of physical school until maybe the Spring and that assumes a vaccine is out and distributed some time in Q1. At this point I’m hoping that my kids get 3+ months of physical school in to end the year.

Otherwise on that random day in March last school year both my kids will have spent their last physical day as a student in each of their schools which is really sad for them and me :( especially the younger one since he’s our last kid going through that elementary school and we know the staff and most of the teachers so well. No closure just sucks.

Which school are you referring to when you say they should make it to November? We start with kids (choice option) on September 8. I don't see us going much past 2 weeks before having to close down. Supposedly the governor said that schools can't close more than 5 days if there is a case. If that is the situation, it will be 5 days at a time, every other week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom