Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrb1979

No. You stop. Covid-19 is the reason schools are virtual, why kids are being kept apart, why 1 in 4 young people are considering suicide.
FIFY. School starts here next month and kids are going back. They just have to wear a mask and classes are smaller. This will end when either a vaccine comes or they come up with better treatment options. Neither of which exists right now.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I get you guys don’t want responsibility for the horrible toll lockdowns and “social distancing” have taken on society. You want to believe it was worth it. It slowed down Covid. I don’t believe that. I’m not taking the easy way out and ignoring the horrible mistakes we made in the name of “safety”.
Teen suicide has always been an issue. 25% seems really ominous, but if you look at history 29% of high school students said they considered suicide in 1991 and it’s moved between that high down to around 17% more recently. When you look at it that way you realize it’s not all Covid related. There’s also a great deal of stress from Covid itself not just lockdowns. Were there no suicides in Montana where they had no lockdowns?

lazyboy97o

You are literally describing virtual learning.
I’m not saying virtual learning is good or great. I don’t like it. I don’t like lockdowns as an idea. But unlike you I’m not going to ignore the reality of what continuing on means and pretend it will magically take care of itself. Many schools are already overcrowded and lacking in sufficient substitute teachers. Ignoring that and just opening schools won’t make things any better, but you’ll get to shout about how you’re not afraid.

LukeS7

Last edited:

tanc

Personally don't know if I like Disney's decision to still hold food and wine festival. I know it's another thing to do, but EPCOT to me easily had the worst crowds. People also seemed to be more careless compared to other parks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Because they don’t consider it fear mongering if they can use it to their advantage to push their agenda.
In reality nobody is really fear mongering. I was just pointing out a repeated hypocrisy here. I think there are some very valid physical health concerns related to Covid. There are also some very valid mental health concerns. I just don’t see how the physical health concerns should be no big deal but mental health is. I also don’t see how all mental health issues are only related to the lockdown. When kids are seeing death and sickness that’s also a strain on their mental state. There’s no way to know it’s all from lockdowns alone.

Flugell

I’m really worried that young people are considering suicide in greater numbers but to be absolutely brutally honest they have a choice. They choose to end their lives. We lost 2 family friends who committed suicide aged 24 in 2017 long before Coronavirus was heard of. The distress and guilt that was felt by their families is unimaginable but the youngsters made the active choice to end their lives. Those who have died from Coronavirus did not choose their outcome.
People who are feeling desperate need support, love, help and guidance. I feel that news articles estimating the number of people who are contemplating ending their lives normalises the thoughts and outcomes. An article saying if you are feeling that you can’t face going on with life then seek help, here is a list of organisations that can help at the beginning of the article would be more supportive. I realise there is an additional paragraph in italics but how many young, vulnerable people will continue reading to the end to find it?
I beg anyone feeling that life has no meaning, please consider the impact on your family and friends talk to them, surely this would be more constructive.
Please don’t feel I am dismissing the stress, strain and desperation of people who feel that there is no future, my personal experience makes me all too aware that this happens. It also makes me aware that it was a choice and not caused by a pandemic which selects victims at random.
If you know anyone that you suspect is going under, reach out and help, it may just make a difference.

Chip Chipperson

You don't know what you're talking about.

There's also Eduardo Rodriguez of the Boston Red Sox who won't be able to pitch this season because COVID-19 caused myocarditis. He's 27 years old and was initially cleared to return to the team on July 18 but then after a week they discovered the heart issue. His doctors told him 10-20% of COVID-19 patients are diagnosed with myocarditis.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There's also Eduardo Rodriguez of the Boston Red Sox who won't be able to pitch this season because COVID-19 caused myocarditis. He's 27 years old and was initially cleared to return to the team on July 18 but then after a week they discovered the heart issue. His doctors told him 10-20% of COVID-19 patients are diagnosed with myocarditis.

That’s one of the reasons the Big Ten cancelled their football season too. They had several players with similar issues.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
That’s one of the reasons the Big Ten cancelled their football season too. They had several players with similar issues.
I imagine these kids are going to have a greater chance of getting Covid not playing football this season than actually having the season and playing. Just my opinion though. :)

Jrb1979

I imagine these kids are going to have a greater chance of getting Covid not playing football this season than actually having the season and playing. Just my opinion though. :)
Its a possibility. I look at that the schools don't want to have to deal with that responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom