Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I have no words anymore. Too many people are devided in the US to ever make things work. Some even in this thread are against any "draconian measures" as they call it.
The US has a very diverse population with 50 diverse states. This leads to differing opinions. I would say the vast majority try to use common sense, whether they agree with lockdowns or whatever other measures that have been used.
I know how you feel. If we could all just suck it up for a while, we could get through this...but people are being SO STUBBORN and seem proud to say that they buy into conspiracy theories.
Millions have been sucking it up for quite some time now. I get that the reaction may be to bash the population. I just don’t think its fair.

ImperfectPixie

The US has a very diverse population with 50 diverse states. This leads to differing opinions. I would say the vast majority try to use common sense, whether they agree with lockdowns or whatever other measures that have been used.

Millions have been sucking it up for quite some time now. I get that the reaction may be to bash the population. I just don’t think its fair.
I know...and those who are refusing to are making it more difficult for everyone.

Basil of Baker Street

I like Maine. Bar Harbor. Only been there once but it was beautiful. I hope to visit the national park up there as well.
My in-laws own a rental house in Southwest Harbor and a cabin on a place called Toddy Pond in Maine. I've never been. I just can't do cold and stay busy in the summer. I'll have to get up there someday since my bucket list is visit every National park and Acacia is around the corner.

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
I know folks living on the Illinois/Missouri border who go to MO for shopping, restaurants, bars, etc where there is no mask mandate. You can bet at least some of them are exposed and bringing the virus to Illinois.
I can comfirm. I live in a city right across the Mississippi River from MO. Folks would just go over and eat and enjoy no mask requirements. We are up to a 6.2 % 7 day positivity rate now.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

Yellow Shoes said:
I know folks living on the Illinois/Missouri border who go to MO for shopping, restaurants, bars, etc where there is no mask mandate. You can bet at least some of them are exposed and bringing the virus to Illinois.
I can comfirm. I live in a city right across the Mississippi River from MO. Folks would just go over and eat and enjoy no mask requirements. We are up to a 6.2 % 7 day positivity rate now.

Can also confirm. I live across the river from St Louis, MO. Last weekend was tax-free sales in MO, just before school starts. We unknowingly met some friends to drop of a 3d print in a parking lot in Brentwood. The crowds were INSANE!

Lilofan

I like Maine. Bar Harbor. Only been there once but it was beautiful. I hope to visit the national park up there as well.
I l knew a guy from that town, Bar Harbor, ME. His New England accent was so thick, I could barely understand the English coming out of his mouth. Others would just come up to him to just listen when he started speaking.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1597407995362.png

1597408022689.png

Communicora

Premium Member
Instead of acting like petulant babies and whining about whether rules will work or not these people embraced the temporary “new normal” and came up with what looks like a pretty decent way to get to do something we all thought wasn’t going to be possible any time soon. If people spent even half the effort they spend coming up with reasons to discredit rules and safety precautions we could have a lot of innovative stuff like this.

"Our" Joe Rohde commented on this set up

_caleb

"Our" Joe Rohde commented on this set up

I honestly expected Disney to introduce measures like these in the Parks. I know live shows are still on hiatus, but even for fireworks or parades socially distanced “boxes” like these would help organize people who don’t seem to want to be organized. Also, the “box service” approach to concessions sales seems like an easy way to keep those Mickey Bars selling.

MaximumEd

I honestly expected Disney to introduce measures like these in the Parks. I know live shows are still on hiatus, but even for fireworks or parades socially distanced “boxes” like these would help organize people who don’t seem to want to be organized. Also, the “box service” approach to concessions sales seems like an easy way to keep those Mickey Bars selling.

That’s a lot of infrastructure to drag in and out for fireworks.

mellyf

Illinois was the second state to issue a shelter in place order, masks became mandatory in businesses and public places on May 1, and the state opened slowly with 28 days between phases instead of 14. Outdoor dining was allowed in June and indoor with severe restrictions in July. Hair salons were not open until the very end of June. The positivity rate was down to 2.6 at one point but has been going up steadily and is now 4.1. Bars were allowed to open in July but were almost immediately subjected to tighter restrictions.

I’m not sure what else can reasonably be done at this point. I’m sure individuals are behaving the way people will - some are taking it more seriously than others. But the positivity rate is going up despite what I believe is the state’s best efforts.

As another Illinoisan, I think there is a big difference between what is happening in more populated areas vs more rural. From what I've been able to tell, the few times we've gone into the suburbs (we live about 45 miles west of the western suburbs), people take it much more seriously than out where I live. And south of us is even worse. There is a town about 15 min from me that had a 5-fold increase in positive cases in less than 3 weeks. A bar/restaurant in another town (that my husband and I have gotten carryout from once) had an employee test positive recently. They have an outside carryout window which they were NOT using. The one time we did carryout, my husband went in to pick up the food. He was the only one wearing a mask, and the place was packed. Our positivity rate is going up, imo, because people don't want to follow the guidelines.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Some numbers from one of the unions -

"About 10,000 out of the 18,000 Disney hotel housekeepers and food/beverage workers in Unite Here Local 737 haven’t returned to work yet, said Jeremy Haicken, a leader of the union.

“It’s an enormous number. All of them are at the mercy of this horrible unemployment system. They’re now living at most $275 a week while the Congress and the president squabble. It’s unreal what people are going through,” Haicken said. “At the moment, there isn’t a light at the end of the tunnel.”"

GoofGoof

Premium Member

If they really wanted to do fireworks they should set something like this up somewhere that it can stay up. Maybe around 7 Seas Lagoon somewhere. They would need to work out the logistics of people trying to stop and watch without being in the boxes. They could offer it as an up charge too, bit would be nice if it was part of admission.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Some numbers from one of the unions -

"About 10,000 out of the 18,000 Disney hotel housekeepers and food/beverage workers in Unite Here Local 737 haven’t returned to work yet, said Jeremy Haicken, a leader of the union.

“It’s an enormous number. All of them are at the mercy of this horrible unemployment system. They’re now living at most $275 a week while the Congress and the president squabble. It’s unreal what people are going through,” Haicken said. “At the moment, there isn’t a light at the end of the tunnel.”"

That’s tragic. And the numbers may go down further when the NBA wraps up and kids go back to school driving demand down even more. So much for opening up WDW for the sake of the workers. Looks like many aren’t getting anything out of it. Really sad.

HarperRose

They don't have the space to leave the boxes out and it would take an incredible amount of manpower and inconvenience to guests to do that multiple times a day.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
That’s tragic. And the numbers may go down further when the NBA wraps up and kids go back to school driving demand down even more. So much for opening up WDW for the sake of the workers. Looks like many aren’t getting anything out of it. Really sad.
8,000 of 18,000 are getting something as they are back to work. Hopefully all can stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom