Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There has been a degree of responsibility and common sense. I think you’re looking for a specific degree of responsibility and common sense. Which would have been a continuation of a full lockdown through June and after. That maybe could have kept them below 5% until they reopened. Statewide mask mandate wouldn’t have done it. Texas has that mandate. Their cases and hospitalizations are dropping like Florida but their 7 day average positivity rate is 24%! The rate in California is increasing again. Illinois is having a second spike in cases.
Masks aren’t the only thing, but mask mandates came well after the outbreak was already out of control. Lots of damage was already done. There are other basic things people are doing like having large parties or get togethers at their homes. People could have also avoided unnecessary exposure without masks like indoor dining. Eat out on the patio or better yet just get takeout. Bars are still at least partially open using the food sales loophole. Things like indoor dining and the food loophole are allowed under the law but people don’t have to do it just because it’s allowed. That’s where the common sense and personal responsibility comes in. I know it’s beating a dead horse and there are people who truly believe that no actions matter and the virus is just being the virus.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Masks aren’t the only thing, but mask mandates came well after the outbreak was already out of control. Lots of damage was already done. There are other basic things people are doing like having large parties or get togethers at their homes. People could have also avoided unnecessary exposure without masks like indoor dining. Eat out on the patio or better yet just get takeout. Bars are still at least partially open using the food sales loophole. Things like indoor dining and the food loophole are allowed under the law but people don’t have to do it just because it’s allowed. That’s where the common sense and personal responsibility comes in. I know it’s beating a dead horse and there are people who truly believe that no actions matter and the virus is just being the virus.
This is all true everywhere in the US. I get why Florida gets singled out on this forum. It’s a WDW forum. But I think it’s ridiculous how it also happens outside of here when other states did or are doing just as poorly or worse.

Jrb1979

This is all true everywhere in the US. I get why Florida gets singled out on this forum. It’s a WDW forum. But I think it’s ridiculous how it also happens outside of here when other states did or are doing just as poorly or worse.
I agree its true everywhere. I put a lot of that blame on not following the guidelines the CDC put out for states to reopen their economy. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it that states were supposed to have 2 to 3 weeks of decline in cases between phases? Obviously many states ignored that and now look at where we are

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Agreed. Right now FL is one of the only holdouts to masks. Just beyond stupid. Outside of that it’s similar to what’s going on a lot of places. FL is in the same boat as places like SC (Myrtle Beach) and other popular travel spots as beimg a little too loose with the rules in favor of tourism. If you take a state like Maine or Vermont you can’t even enter the state without quarantining unless you are from a select few places with very low case counts and the results show its working. It’s crippling to tourism, but thats less relevant there than a place like FL.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I agree its true everywhere. I put a lot of that blame on not following the guidelines the CDC put out for states to reopen their economy. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it that states were supposed to have 2 to 3 weeks of decline in cases between phases? Obviously many states ignored that and now look at where we are
I believe that and a positivity rate below 5%. Many of the states achieved that and went into phase 1 reopenings. Many got very loosely goosey with it between phases 2 and 3. But even that isn’t the whole story. California being an example.

Touchdown

Agreed. Right now FL is one of the only holdouts to masks. Just beyond stupid. Outside of that it’s similar to what’s going on a lot of places. FL is in the same boat as places like SC (Myrtle Beach) and other popular travel spots as beimg a little too loose with the rules in favor of tourism. If you take a state like Maine or Vermont you can’t even enter the state without quarantining unless you are from a select few places with very low case counts and the results show its working. It’s crippling to tourism, but thats less relevant there than a place like FL.

Maine and Vermont rely very heavily on tourism, so it is crippling the state economy, but as that population is far older then Florida they are willing to accept the losses more.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Maine and Vermont rely very heavily on tourism, so it is crippling the state economy, but as that population is far older then Florida they are willing to accept the losses more.
Vermont is going to be a huge challenge for ski season. Lots of rental properties and resorts that will be upset with the lost revenues unless things improve by then. I thought Maine was just LL Bean and Poland Springs ;););) It’s actually on my bucket list of places to go...but they won’t have me right now. It’s the only East Coast state I haven’t spent any time in.

Flugell

Feel the need to explain, at least the reason, if not the accuracy of the removal of 5,000 deaths from the U.K. total of deaths from Coronavirus.

When the virus first hit numbers of deaths from care homes, or many outside hospitals were not included in the figures even though they had died as a result of the Coronavirus. The reason why this happened is because death certificates outside hospitals are the responsibility of the patients own doctor. If there is doubt about the cause of death then they have to report to the coroner for a final decision on what should go on the death certificate. This can mean a delay of between about 3-10 days and the government were reporting daily deaths in hospitals. There was a lot of justifiable criticism about leaving out these numbers, hence a big dump of numbers to attempt to increase accuracy and transparency. As a result of this the Government included people who had been tested positive and died over a month later at a place other than a hospital. Hence the removal of the 5,000 deaths.

It maybe that they have removed too many or not enough and as more information becomes available they will alter again but I don’t believe that the mistake has been made deliberately or to massage figures but because it is a completely new situation everywhere in the world and it seems that every country, state or county is having similar difficulties from what I’ve read on this forum.

Whether through coronavirus or not the death totals are tragic.

Heppenheimer

Vermont is going to be a huge challenge for ski season. Lots of rental properties and resorts that will be upset with the lost revenues unless things improve by then. I thought Maine was just LL Bean and Poland Springs ;););) It’s actually on my bucket list of places to go...but they won’t have me right now. It’s the only East Coast state I haven’t spent any time in.
As a Vermonter, I've almost resigned myself to the fact that I may need to find another hobby this coming winter. I might need to take up cross-country skiing.

Chi84

Premium Member
Illinois was the second state to issue a shelter in place order, masks became mandatory in businesses and public places on May 1, and the state opened slowly with 28 days between phases instead of 14. Outdoor dining was allowed in June and indoor with severe restrictions in July. Hair salons were not open until the very end of June. The positivity rate was down to 2.6 at one point but has been going up steadily and is now 4.1. Bars were allowed to open in July but were almost immediately subjected to tighter restrictions.

I’m not sure what else can reasonably be done at this point. I’m sure individuals are behaving the way people will - some are taking it more seriously than others. But the positivity rate is going up despite what I believe is the state’s best efforts.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Illinois was the second state to issue a shelter in place order, masks became mandatory in businesses and public places on May 1, and the state opened slowly with 28 days between phases instead of 14. Outdoor dining was allowed in June and indoor with severe restrictions in July. Hair salons were not open until the very end of June. The positivity rate was down to 2.6 at one point but has been going up steadily and is now 4.1. Bars were allowed to open in July but were almost immediately subjected to tighter restrictions.

I’m not sure what else can reasonably be done at this point. I’m sure individuals are behaving the way people will - some are taking it more seriously than others. But the positivity rate is going up despite what I believe is the state’s best efforts.
Here is the “fun” curve for the state, 2 week average trend. Two lift hills.

48EE5D17-94E7-4D33-B974-A40981CFA372.jpeg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
New Hampshire is a good choice as well, and currently only has a “suggested” quarantine for out of staters.
I wanna go camping this October in Maine. Never been to Maine and I can’t get enough of the fall colors
I was looking for a lake house to replace my Disney trip this month. I actually found several good options in Maine and was almost ready to pull the trigger but when researching the Covid rules further you either need to have a recent negative Covid test (72 hours or less) or quarantine for 14 days in Maine on arrival or be from CT, NY, NJ, NH or VT which are exempt. I thought about doing the Covid tests for the family and still going but we can’t even guarantee a test comes back within 72 hours anymore which is pathetic. I decided to add it to my post Covid list of places to go. I did see NH was more lenient on travelers when doing my research.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I was looking for a lake house to replace my Disney trip this month. I actually found several good options in Maine and was almost ready to pull the trigger but when researching the Covid rules further you either need to have a recent negative Covid test (72 hours or less) or quarantine for 14 days in Maine on arrival or be from CT, NY, NJ, NH or VT which are exempt. I thought about doing the Covid tests for the family and still going but we can’t even guarantee a test comes back within 72 hours anymore which is pathetic. I decided to add it to my post Covid list of places to go. I did see NH was more lenient on travelers when doing my research.
Does a same day test not count?

Touchdown

We have a cabin in NH on Lake Winnipesaukee, I’m biased but if you want a lake vacation, getting a cabin up in the NH Lakes Region is the way to go, and Lake Winnie is the biggest and best lake there.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

New Hampshire is more lenient on a lot of things even without a pandemic...it's the Live Free or Die state. ;)

Jrb1979

I wouldn't be surprised to find that a lot for the reason for numbers rising is people traveling between states. I know here where I live all they do is promote and tell people to vacation within their own province. For the most part that's what most people are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom