Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epcotfan21

ACC would be my bet. They held an emergency meeting yesterday but didn’t make any kind of announcement so an optimist might think that’s a decent sign that they aren’t going to cancel but there were some rumblings that no conference wanted to bend and be the first to cancel but now that 2 are done nobody wants to be last either so they may make a call sooner than later. There’s no reason the SEC and/or Big 12 couldn’t play out their conference schedules and declare a conference champion but there won’t be an official college football champion this year. That’s a shame considering that’s impacting stuff into the New Year.
Looks like SEC and ACC are full steam ahead for now. If anyone is on the fence, it’s Big 12.

Jrb1979

I‘m betting both drop out. Unfortunately it seems that college football is going to be off for the year.
IMO while unfortunate, the NHL may be able to get some much needed views in the US. Its the one major sport that I love that saddens me that many Americans don't like.

hopemax

IMO while unfortunate, the NHL may be able to get some much needed views in the US. Its the one major sport that I love that saddens me that many Americans don't like.
My hockey team doesn't play until the 2021 season.

Although, I joked with my husband that I'm not sure I've seen a non-Olympic hockey game from beginning to end.

UNCgolf

No the playoffs just started. They just had a 5 overtime game finish 6.5 hours after it started. Next season starts Dec 1st. You do really make my point. Its a shame more Americans don't pay attention to the best sport.

I like hockey. I just like football, basketball (although only college for the most part; the NBA is mostly boring until the playoffs and even then I'm not super into it), soccer, golf, and tennis more (although with tennis I really only watch the four majors).

Heppenheimer

No the playoffs just started. They just had a 5 overtime game finish 6.5 hours after it started. Next season starts Dec 1st. You do really make my point. Its a shame more Americans don't pay attention to the best sport.
I like hockey and wasn't even aware they were playing again!

By contrast, I couldn't give too hoots about basketball, but I am very aware of the progress of their season... but that might only be because of the current Disney connection.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Who cares if people don’t like it. The biggest mistake the NHL ever made is attempting to change the game to appeal to more Americans. It’s a great sport and fun to watch (especially live) if people don’t like it, who cares. They should have never expanded into the South. Places like Nashville and Miami should have never gotten teams. Dallas may be the one exception there and Las Vegas seems to be doing pretty well.

Actually it’s there second biggest mistake....banning Gritty from the bubble is the biggest.

5D5F9B7B-9BE9-4D5E-BA4C-60B25B3C98EB.jpeg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So it looks like, for now, the Big-12 is going to go ahead with fall football. Updated schedule coming soon. Big-12 is also committing to heart imaging diagnostics for athletes that have had COVID. The SI reporter, I mentioned earlier, however, has said a Big-12 source said, "This doesn't mean we're going to play. Students are coming back to campus..." Implication that if the COVID situation deteriorates, then canceling is still an option.

So the Big-12 is still hedging.

Honestly, I'm not sure how this helps athletes. Sure, if everything works out, that's one thing. But if you feel like there are still decent odds you might have to cancel, then it seems like it would be even more devastating for the players to train hard for another month and still have the rug ripped out from under you. At least, if it's cancelled, you can make decisions, adjust your mindset. Like when you know you have to do something you really don't want to do, so you procrastinate as an avoidance tactic, and all you do is fill yourself with dread. And after you do the thing, even though it sucks, the moment passes and then you feel freed from this thing that had been hanging over you.
I saw some comments from the Big 10 commissioner and he said they wanted to make a call now because it’s not fair to the kids and the staff to have them all come in and start practicing and then cancel later. I agree with this. If the Big 12 is going to cancel then they should do it now. There’s no point waiting. The risks and situation won’t change between now and the start of the season. Step up, strap on the big boy pants and make a call.

Lilofan

I saw some comments from the Big 10 commissioner and he said they wanted to make a call now because it’s not fair to the kids and the staff to have them all come in and start practicing and then cancel later. I agree with this. If the Big 12 is going to cancel then they should do it now. There’s no point waiting. The risks and situation won’t change between now and the start of the season. Step up, strap on the big boy pants and make a call.
Perhaps these players can take full advantage of their FREE college education, learn something , graduate and be a good member of society. And no student loans like the rest of the student body.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
We lost our team here in Atlanta a few years ago and I was quite depressed. I'm going to hop on the Kraken bandwagon now and get in on the ground level haha

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Perhaps these players can take full advantage of their FREE college education, learn something , graduate and be a good member of society. And no student loans like the rest of the student body.
As far as I know the scholarships are in tact so they can continue with classes and actually take some in the fall semester. I think the reason for making the call now is that all the players would be on campus training right now if they were having a season. It’s tough to lose a season of play, but it would be even worse to spend a month training to get ready only to have it cancelled right before the start.

robhedin

I hope they had a good virtual learning plan or are the kids all just home for a few weeks with no school?
This one is literally a mile or so from my house -- it's where the kids in my subdivision go to school.

I've yet to see/hear of a particularly good elearning system here. One of the schools ran a load test on Monday to have all the students log in to make sure things were good, and it crashed hard. One of the things that really bothers me the most about this whole situation is the number of kids that are going to be at a serious learning disadvantage, and how that's going to impact them in the future.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This one is literally a mile or so from my house -- it's where the kids in my subdivision go to school.

I've yet to see/hear of a particularly good elearning system here. One of the schools ran a load test on Monday to have all the students log in to make sure things were good, and it crashed hard. One of the things that really bothers me the most about this whole situation is the number of kids that are going to be at a serious learning disadvantage, and how that's going to impact them in the future.
This is why politics should have never taken precedent over learning. My kid’s district had every intention to open physically, but they started in March working with consultants to develop a virtual platform that was way better than what we got in the Spring. As it turns out they ended up going to all virtual now but at least they have the system now that works very well. Unfortunately, fueled by political grand standing, many places put all their eggs in the basket of “we must have physical learning” and the people in charge put their fingers in their ears and stomped around refusing to acknowledge that they need a backup plan and even if schools open physically they need a plan for when kids are quarantining. This isn’t a one and done. There will be more quarantines in the future. There needs to be a better plan, but that plan should have been worked on months ago.

robhedin

This is why politics should have never taken precedent over learning. My kid’s district had every intention to open physically, but they started in March working with consultants to develop a virtual platform that was way better than what we got in the Spring. As it turns out they ended up going to all virtual now but at least they have the system now that works very well. Unfortunately, fueled by political grand standing, many places put all their eggs in the basket of “we must have physical learning” and the people in charge put their fingers in their ears and stomped around refusing to acknowledge that they need a backup plan and even if schools open physically they need a plan for when kids are quarantining. This isn’t a one and done. There will be more quarantines in the future. There needs to be a better plan, but that plan should have been worked on months ago.
Not really disagreeing with any of this, but it's also not _just_ that. There's also a huge economic problem here too. Too many families are disadvantaged and don't have computers or even home internet (although they might have smart phones). I'm not sure how to solve that without a lot of money. Ideally, every school would go all-in on home learning and create a full plan including both the virtual environment as well as working out how to provide every student with internet and devices.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not really disagreeing with any of this, but it's also not _just_ that. There's also a huge economic problem here too. Too many families are disadvantaged and don't have computers or even home internet (although they might have smart phones). I'm not sure how to solve that without a lot of money. Ideally, every school would go all-in on home learning and create a full plan including both the virtual environment as well as working out how to provide every student with internet and devices.
I live in the Philadelphia suburbs in PA. I know in Philadelphia Comcast has been very active in ensuring that everyone has internet access. They are offering discounted and/or free internet based on need plus they ramped up hot spots around the city so a lot of people can jump on the free hot spots. The city also found some corporate sponsors to ensure every student had access to a chrome book to use for remote learning. This was a huge issue in the spring so they spent the summer making sure to get things up to speed. For rural areas it may be more challenging to ramp up internet access, but in the inner cities it should be doable.

The problem with parents not being available or willing to help out, especially with younger kids that need more supervision, isn’t easy to solve. Whether schools are open physically with periods of quarantine or virtual that’s a concern.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom