Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patcheslee

That just doesn’t work. There are distractions at home that you don’t have at school. Or sometimes the opposite, kids are so distracting in class you can get more done quickly on your own. It’s so funny in education we have a mantra, “meet the kid where they are at” meaning work and help them grow whether they are behind, advanced, etc. You would think during a pandemic, we could give that a shot and work towards educating and helping kids, while recognizing a traditional school schedule might not be the right solution for them.
We saw better focus at home with DD11 when switch to Elearning. Part of it may have been due to allowing her to decide her class schedule and day because all assignments were posted at 9am. She stuck to it for the most part except she was allowed TV at lunch the off again to finish classes. We did compromise and make Reading last because a teacher saying "read for 30 minutes" turned into me coming home for 11:30 checkin with her nose still in a book :joyfull:.
When we did her middle school enrollment a few weeks ago requested Library elective NOT be her last class because she'd probably miss the bus knowing my luck.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

That’s not the only one. I saw at least 2 other stories with different schools that opened this week. It highlights the need for having a really solid virtual backup option. It’s terribly disruptive if kids go to school physically then get sent home for days or a week at a time, then go back. It’s inevitable that schools that open physically will shut down at least temporarily for positive cases. There has to be a plan to continue teaching during the down time.

Archie123

Well. DCL has cruises cancelled through September for now. Lol. It was pretty obvious since the beginning of this that cruises were high risk. We saw what happened to people on cruise ships in March.

There will be no major cruise lines sailing in 2020. I wouldn't be surprised if some fold completely.

BrianLo

I started this conversation with a point that real world data from doctors is being banned on social media. This is not just POTUS. He retweeted a video that was about 30 doctors stating how hydroxychloroquine worked for them in real world cases. Not labs. Not research. Not university studies. They used it with COVID patients, and it worked effectively in hundreds of cases. This is backed up by my own experience of knowing someone who also has seen the effectiveness, and recommends it as a treatment. When there's a HUGE bucket of money on the line, I am going to question the motives of anyone who could profit in on way or another.

Here's how the hierarchy of evidence works in medicine. The problem is you are mostly talking about expert opinion and case reports. It's actually the weakest form of evidence.

Unknown.png

We have much higher quality of evidence demonstrating that it is not effective.

Patcheslee

That’s not the only one. I saw at least 2 other stories with different schools that opened this week. It highlights the need for having a really solid virtual backup option. It’s terribly disruptive if kids go to school physically then get sent home for days or a week at a time, then go back. It’s inevitable that schools that open physically will shut down at least temporarily for positive cases. There has to be a plan to continue teaching during the down time.
Did you catch the Greenfield Indiana student that was sent to school the first day with a pending test result and had to be isolated at the school? It's that kind of stuff that kinda peeves me, pending a result you are supposed to isolate.

Yodascousin

In the uk more and more people are getting fed up with the rules and restrictions they are beginning to think that the measures are to draconian for the situation we are in. There also appears to be huge controversy over our death figures, a couple of times this week our hospital deaths have been in single digits but our all settings deaths has been over a hundred which doesn’t really make sense. More and more people in the uk at least think that the figures are being manipulated to keep fear going I’m not normally one for conspiracy theories but the data does seem to be really off recently

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Did you catch the Greenfield Indiana student that was sent to school the first day with a pending test result and had to be isolated at the school? It's that kind of stuff that kinda peeves me, pending a result you are supposed to isolate.
That’s a big problem. I know a few people who would regularly send their kids to school or day care sick because they couldn’t or didn’t want to miss any more time at work. It’s a part of life when people are using schools as their primary childcare option. In the Covid world that’s dangerous. The same people who don’t want school to be all virtual because they don’t have anyone to watch their kids while they work will also have nobody to watch their kids while they serve a quarantine or if they keep their kids home whenever they show any potential Covid symptoms (which happen to be similar to colds, allergies and the flu). I know most districts were relaxing their attendance policies to allow kids more time off if they had any symptoms, but how many people will send them anyway for fear of losing their job or using up all their days off.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
This - like the camp story - is bad, but it's not the situation everywhere. All the schools and camps that haven't had outbreaks aren't going to make the news. One camp I know of has had one positive case - a counselor. My kids' daycare has had zero. But that's just normal so it's not really newsworthy.
Posting every time a case pops up at a school somewhere is going to be a full time job.

lisa12000

In the uk more and more people are getting fed up with the rules and restrictions they are beginning to think that the measures are to draconian for the situation we are in. There also appears to be huge controversy over our death figures, a couple of times this week our hospital deaths have been in single digits but our all settings deaths has been over a hundred which doesn’t really make sense. More and more people in the uk at least think that the figures are being manipulated to keep fear going I’m not normally one for conspiracy theories but the data does seem to be really off recently

Fellow UKer here - I totally agree with what you’ve written people are getting very fed up and there is palpable anger now which I haven’t noticed before. The targeted mentions of second waves despite increased testing and targeted testing of outbreak areas has really enhanced a sense of manipulation. For example in my town they’ve gone from testing around 200 a week to well over a 1000 and now they’re panicking everyone as they’ve found a few (4) more tests and want to lock us down - the PHE figures are well off as the ONS has our fatalities per day as way less than the all setting figures now so something is going on. Also the ridiculous late night announcement of local lockdown has lost a lot of goodwill.

I don’t just think it’s us though - you only have to see the scenes in germany today to see that Europe is a bit like a powder keg at the moment and ready to blow

Yodascousin

Fellow UKer here - I totally agree with what you’ve written people are getting very fed up and there is palpable anger now which I haven’t noticed before. The targeted mentions of second waves despite increased testing and targeted testing of outbreak areas has really enhanced a sense of manipulation. For example in my town they’ve gone from testing around 200 a week to well over a 1000 and now they’re panicking everyone as they’ve found a few (4) more tests and want to lock us down - the PHE figures are well off as the ONS has our fatalities per day as way less than the all setting figures now so something is going on. Also the ridiculous late night announcement of local lockdown has lost a lot of goodwill.

I don’t just think it’s us though - you only have to see the scenes in germany today to see that Europe is a bit like a powder keg at the moment and ready to blow
Totally agree I feel that the uk and Europe is at a tipping point and this month is going to be interesting! Was totally out of order how our government only gave 3 hours notice of new restrictions in a bloody twitter post! If I lived in those areas i would be furious. This vaccine can’t come soon enough and I believe it’s increasingly likely we will get it in the next few months...the cynic in me thinks that all this talk of scaling back restrictions is so that the government can say you won’t get back to normal unless everyone takes the vaccine...and I’m pro vaccines and think this!

DisneyFanaticUK

Here in Northern Ireland we have 10 active cases last time I checked (5 in hospital/ 5 based in care homes). Covid is obviously a very serious issue, but there is definitely an argument to be had that disproportionate response to it in less affected parts of the UK are fraying a lot of nerves.

LittleBuford

May I ask by whom and for what purpose this supposed conspiracy is being orchestrated?

Yodascousin

May I ask by whom and for what purpose this supposed conspiracy is being orchestrated?
I never said there was a conspiracy...just that there is a growing frustration in the uk that the figures are being manipulated... yesterday there was 9 deaths announced by our hospitals but our all settings deaths was 120 that’s a 111 person difference and differences ranging from 75 to over 100 have been happening for the last 2 weeks does that not seem off to you? Like I said previously it could be being orchestrated by our government and scientific advisors to help keep covid in peoples minds and making them in the future say you will not get back to any sort of normal until you have a vaccine. Now I will take a vaccine anyway as I’m pro vaccine and I think covid needs to be gone ASAP. All I’m saying is the figures that are being released in the uk seem very very dubious recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom