Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

I wholeheartedly agree. That’s why I’m fighting to homeschool my son, though my ex is fighting to make me use the virtual program. It’s been a fun discussion, I’m sure you can imagine. 🙄😂
I've been arguing with myself about the same choice. My younger son definitely misses in-person school and needs it for the extra services he gets. My older son needs the structure and socialization of meeting new friends (transitioning to high school in the fall...he doesn't have "problems" making new friends, but tends to gravitate towards kids with interests that fall lock-step in with his own and part of his IEP is encouraging friendships with kids with more diverse interests). Academically, he does pretty well in an asynchronous environment...I can see there being issues if the environment is forced to be synchronous because he needs regular breaks and focusing for long periods of time on a teacher talking or presenting will be challenging for him. At the same time, their autism can make having mom take on the teacher role extra-challenging because I'm constantly teaching them other stuff that neuro-typical kids generally pick up on more naturally. And don't even get me started on trying to keep them both working on school work during the same hours while we're at home...we basically play "musical distractions". 😂

ImperfectPixie

That just doesn’t work. There are distractions at home that you don’t have at school. Or sometimes the opposite, kids are so distracting in class you can get more done quickly on your own. It’s so funny in education we have a mantra, “meet the kid where they are at” meaning work and help them grow whether they are behind, advanced, etc. You would think during a pandemic, we could give that a shot and work towards educating and helping kids, while recognizing a traditional school schedule might not be the right solution for them.
You are speaking my language! I spent a good portion of my last year classes towards my education major learning how to ensure that any lessons I designed (my specialization was instructional design) not only conformed to the Common Core Curriculum, but were also able to be adapted to every child's abilities...and as an autism mom, it's something I do basically every day.

celluloid

You are speaking my language! I spent a good portion of my last year classes towards my education major learning how to ensure that any lessons I designed (my specialization was instructional design) not only conformed to the Common Core Curriculum, but were also able to be adapted to every child's abilities...and as an autism mom, it's something I do basically every day.

As a person in the spectrum, thank you all. I have been in Education and wish in many ways I had 20 years ago what students have for support now.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I’m sure there will be a post shortly explaining why this is not that bad or irrelevant to Disney.
Well. DCL has cruises cancelled through September for now. Lol. It was pretty obvious since the beginning of this that cruises were high risk. We saw what happened to people on cruise ships in March.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out -

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 10.34.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 10.34.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 10.35.01 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 10.34.34 AM.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well. DCL has cruises cancelled through September for now. Lol. It was pretty obvious since the beginning of this that cruises were high risk. We saw what happened to people on cruise ships in March.
Yeah, September is looking like a no go. I’d guess maybe March/April if things get a lot better after the cold/flu season. If they try it before then they will get people to go (there’s a sucker born every day) but there will be outbreaks which could damage the industry for months and years to come. I would hope after the failed bar openings that everyone would finally realize that this crying the economy, the economy, the economy is a nice talking point in a politically focused debate, but opening things before it’s time isn’t automatically the best bet for the actual business or the overall economy. The short term money grab has long term implications. For the cruise lines their best bet is to wait until a time where it’s less likely to have a mass outbreak. Opening in September and then immediately making headlines is a bad idea. People’s attitude about cruises is already soured due to the way things went down in March. They need all good PR whenever they open.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is very sad. They worked hard to do all the right things. I don't see cruising being able to resume until there is a vaccine that people will widely use.
I think similar to big bars and clubs there’s just no way to do a cruise ship with all those people in close quarters and do it safely. I think there are ways to get 90% of the economy up and running. The other 10% need to be helped out by the government. Both employees and owners.

Patcheslee

I got a double-major bachelor's 100% online...took 6 years and basically killed my health. I worked myself into a good case of pneumonia and a trip to the ER less than a year before I finished.

(Health is coming back...but being over 40, it's taking time.)
I thought 3 years of online was going to kill me with only a 6yo to take care of. All employer paid classes required for my role I'm in now, but the amount of time I spent juggling the combination had me in the ER for heart attack at 37. If I had the choice now I wouldn't take the job even if it doubled my pay. I can't picture parents trying to juggle kids online school at that age.
Florida has required that their distance learning equal seat time as if they were in school for all students - Yep, even kindergarteners - so it’s happening in at least one state. The log in at 8:45 and log out at 3:00 (or whatever their respective school time is)
Our district is requiring it for the 6-12th grades, login to whichever class you would be doing at that time if attending in person. Which is why we aren't able to do Elearning in our home. If there are tech issues no one will be home to help until 11:30 for lunch or 30 minutes after school dismissal at 3pm, so she would be marked tardy or absent from school. They even have to login for their lunch period :rolleyes: Elementary will only have a set of class work without a time requirement. So if they are done in 20 minutes so be it.

oceanbreeze77

Yikes...and that left from Germany where cases are pretty low right now. Imagine a cruise leaving from Fort Lauderdale right now :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I really want to see what the source of spread is. With cruises it doesn't seem to be just public areas. When the Diamond Princess (I think) was docked in Japan, people who stayed in their rooms still got infected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom