Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyDebRob

NY has a very low percent positive now too and low new cases per day. indoor dining is also not open there and no bars. Seems to be a pretty obvious pattern.

IMHO bars are the biggest problem but in most places anymore a large number of bars qualify as restaurants. The combination of smoking being banned in most indoor settings (which makes it more pleasant to eat) and the general trend away from chain dining has resulted in a large number of establishments that were once traditional bars to focus more and more on a food menu. The gastro pub fad is very real. During this time it’s hard to craft a rule that also shuts those types of places down. I think prolonged exposure to strangers without a mask is a problem. If I go indoors to eat I may be in there for 45 mins or an hour. If I go to the same place on a Friday night and meet up with friends for drinks I may be there for 4 or 5 hours.

I don‘t know what the answer is, but I think some basic steps need to be implemented everywhere for restaurants.
  • strict capacity limits for indoor dining
  • 6 foot distancing between tables
  • no bar seating
  • no standing room
  • all employees wear masks all the time
  • customers wear masks until they are seated at their table
  • if a customer gets up to use the restroom or step outside for a smoke or a phone call they put the mask on while indoor
  • alcohol can only be purchased if it’s on the same ticket as a meal...no sitting at the table and just ordering drinks
  • any sort of entertainment is allowed only if there’s no standing area and customers stay seated (no dance floors or crowd in front of a stage...do they do mosh pits anymore or is that just aging me).
They still do mosh pits.. come on your not that old.🤣

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Broward County officials issued an emergency order Friday imposing a countywide curfew from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.

The order also states that gatherings will be restricted to no more than 10 people, in public or private property."

Exemptions to the curfew include: delivery or transportation drivers, government employees, persons seeking medical care, and utility service personnel.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
"Broward County officials issued an emergency order Friday imposing a countywide curfew from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.

The order also states that gatherings will be restricted to no more than 10 people, in public or private property."

What’s the curfew supposed to do? Are people having late night gatherings?

NickMaio

Globalnews.ca: Florida teen met friends against family’s wishes. Now dad has COVID-19, fighting for his life.

Stay the HE#$ home..........a few months to postpone your trip is worth not getting covid.

Disstevefan1

They have been doing about 30000 tests a day. Last week our percent positive was 1% for the week. Things have been opening here and there hasn't been the spike that everyone keeps saying will happen.

Indoor dining hasn't opened yet and out theme parks aren't opening this year.

Wow excellent! My math has that as a 0.5% positivity rate, but maybe they round up. Might as well, its so small!

You say Indoor dining hasn't opened yet, sounds like you are still in lockdown, or close to it..

During lockdown, like before Indoor dining was not open yet, in our community the numbers were very low too.

No doubt, keeping things closed does indeed keep the numbers down! Very Good!

Jrb1979

Wow excellent! My math has that as a 0.5% positivity rate, but maybe they round up. Might as well, its so small!

You say Indoor dining hasn't opened yet, sounds like you are still in lockdown, or close to it..

During lockdown, like before Indoor dining was not open yet, in our community the numbers were very low too.

Restaurants are open but only patios and takeout. Next week indoor dining will be allowed to open in most places. Everything else is open or opening other then theme parks and things that involve large gatherings. None of those things are going to be coming back any time soon as Stage 3 is the last one.

I know we didn't do everything right as our LTC homes have had lots of deaths but the rest our government has done has worked. Its why I shake my head at how many states are not reacting to this.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

There’s a big difference between indoor dining being closed and lock down. Things like outdoor dining (and other outdoor activities), non-essential retail stores, elective medical procedures ( including well visits to doctors, dentists, etc), construction, office buildings and schools/childcare to name a few. I think we all have to realize that having things like bars and indoor dining open could put some or all of those things in jeopardy again. Already several states have cancelled elective surgeries and certainly schools are in question many places.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Globalnews.ca: Florida teen met friends against family’s wishes. Now dad has COVID-19, fighting for his life.

Stay the HE#$ home..........a few months to postpone your trip is worth not getting covid.
This article and others just like it are nothing more than monopolization of perception, which is a psychological method of coercion.

Your reaction to the article is a textbook example of the desired effect it seeks to create.

wannabeBelle

Yes, NYC. Last I checked their percent positive was still around 1% and they have a low total case count. I think they are moving to the next phase next week but still holding off on indoor dining.
Yes exactly. I still think that indoor dining (cap it at 25%) with the outside still available is a good next step and should be done in certain places such as Staten Island. We are more similar to Long Island than to the Bronx, Manhattan or Brooklyn in terms of the number of people that would be going out. On the flip side of this is that the Mayor and Governor both want schools to open in the fall. How exactly do you propose to do that? I cant see how this could work with social distancing, getting the kids to wear masks, how would you do meals at school, gym classes and other activities?? They did open Little League so we can see how that goes in terms of athletics. I totally get that the parents and teachers would all have some big issues that would come up, although there are so many benefits to in-person school attendance. I am just glad I dont have to make the school call!!! Marie

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes exactly. I still think that indoor dining (cap it at 25%) with the outside still available is a good next step and should be done in certain places such as Staten Island. We are more similar to Long Island than to the Bronx, Manhattan or Brooklyn in terms of the number of people that would be going out. On the flip side of this is that the Mayor and Governor both want schools to open in the fall. How exactly do you propose to do that? I cant see how this could work with social distancing, getting the kids to wear masks, how would you do meals at school, gym classes and other activities?? They did open Little League so we can see how that goes in terms of athletics. I totally get that the parents and teachers would all have some big issues that would come up, although there are so many benefits to in-person school attendance. I am just glad I dont have to make the school call!!! Marie
School is tough. Right now our school district is planning to open for in person learning but they have a virtual option as well so parents can choose. Then any kid who has to quarantine during the year can also switch over to the virtual program seamlessly. They are planning to have distancing in classrooms, masks for kids and staff and more cleaning and sanitation than normal. Bus service will be staggered and/or limited. They are basically asking anyone who can drive their kids to do so to allow for less kids on the bus. They are relaxing the attendance policy and asking parents to keep kids home any time they feel ill at all. I’m not sure how it will all work out.

I agree on the 25% capacity for indoor dining with the restrictions I listed before. I think it can be done, but people need to control themselves and owners need to follow rules.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
School is tough. Right now our school district is planning to open for in person learning but they have a virtual option as well so parents can choose. Then any kid who has to quarantine during the year can also switch over to the virtual program seamlessly. They are planning to have distancing in classrooms, masks for kids and staff and more cleaning and sanitation than normal. Bus service will be staggered and/or limited. They are basically asking anyone who can drive their kids to do so to allow for less kids on the bus. They are relaxing the attendance policy and asking parents to keep kids home any time they feel ill at all. I’m not sure how it will all work out.

I agree on the 25% capacity for indoor dining with the restrictions I listed before. I think it can be done, but people need to control themselves and owners need to follow rules.
Speaking of rules, asking for a friend. Is Covid spread by outdoor urination? I don’t really have time to go through the thread and avail myself of all the high falutin’ science gobbledygook everyone spews to figure out the answer to such a basic and common question. Sorry for that.

wannabeBelle

Exactly so. Open at the 25% and see what happens. If people play nice and the numbers dont spike ( The infection rate is at 1.5% currently, the threshold for the next phase re-opening is 15%) then we can let that go for a bit then slowly increase it. The NJ Malls are open and from what I can tell are being done very well. No overcrowding, everyone was wearing a mask, limits on the number of people in any given store etc. were all being done and it looks fine. Staten Island Mall was not allowed to reopen in spite of getting new filters for the air conditioning units for the facility. The problem with all of this is that we were told that indoor dining would open in Phase 3 and it didnt so most people assumed it will go into Phase 4. Well here is Phase 4 on Monday and Malls, indoor dining, movie theatres, and gyms are a no go with no word on when they would even be considered. Also this is only in NYC. Long Island's restaurants are open, Connecticut as well. New Jersey's Malls are up and running, yet no answer from the Mayor or the Governor. No Bueno!!!! Marie

lisa12000

The state I live in, PA, just announced a further pull back from re-openings after seeing 900+ new cases in a day. Adjusted for population size that would be like FL seeing 1,500 cases in a day. FL is averaging almost 7X that many cases and waited until the case numbers were in the 8 or 9 thousand a day range before even implementing a flawed bar ban. The percent positive in PA is averaging just above 5% so it’s not lack of testing that is driving the number lower. It’s crazy to see the uneven responses to this situation across the country.

I agree with you that I really hope we start to see things improve across the board everywhere. People need to make better decisions on their own even if the government doesn’t mandate it. Wear a mask when in public. It’s simple and has proven at this point to be somewhat effective. Avoid unnecessary contact with strangers. You don’t have to lock yourself away in your home but pick and choose which are necessary and which are avoidable situations. Just because you legally can do something doesn’t mean you have to do it. It’s not too hard, but people need to make some sacrifices and be willing to set aside instant gratification for the greater good. Too many people would rather argue semantics or political talking points in this country.

Sorry came back to this very late. So the situation in my town is not getting any worse and there are signs of stabilisation so no big spikes now just a constant 1-3 a day which is more than what we were getting but certainly not the 10-12 we were seeing for a couple of days last week. However the faith leaders in our town have closed down every mosque (it was primarily south Asian and Bangladeshi communities affected) and have been going around the affected communities explaining the ‘rules’ - we are also drafting mobile testing to the area so every person within that area can get a tests as a walk up or a home swab easily. I’m not sure how many tests we have done unfortunately as we don’t get that granular data but every case has been identified using the track and trace system we have and are well and isolating.

Talking of testing - today we reported nearly 150,000 tests and have a capacity to do up to 330,000 a day right now. We had 687 cases which although is more than previous days such as Tuesday (398) but on that day we only reported 76000 tests - so nearly double today which shows that positive rates are important - today’s positive rate was 0.46%! And a third of our cases today came from 7 local areas within the uk (there’s well over 300). Our pubs have been open two weeks now with now major sign of any spikes fingers crossed - and unfortunately the areas where there are concerns it’s mainly going BAME groups getting the positives - this is consistent across UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom