Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The MAJOR issue that FL has faced over the past month when the numbers first started to rise is that there hasn’t been any action taken to mitigate and handle this virus so that this ‘spike’ will die down.

There’s absolutely no reason why it should even start to diminish in any way.

Since June - WDW has re-opened, NBA is still planned to go ahead and restart, schools have been ordered to re-open, the RNC convention will take place, and still no Mask mandate...

This is just going to get worse and worse.
Yeah, you are probably right. I was trying to be more optimistic. I have no reason based in facts to think it will die down...just hope. I also hoped that the virus would be seasonal and die off in the summer or maybe even just disappear like SARS did. You can see how much good hope has gotten me :(

I think it’s inevitable that FL will pass NY by the end of July in total cases, the only open question is will the recent pull back and mask rules in CA and TX help to slow down their spread leaving FL alone in the “top spot” or will it be CA then FL/TX in the top 3 spots overall.

Casper Gutman

The MAJOR issue that FL has faced over the past month when the numbers first started to rise is that there hasn’t been any action taken to mitigate and handle this virus so that this ‘spike’ will die down.

There’s absolutely no reason why it should even start to diminish in any way.

Since June - WDW has re-opened, NBA is still planned to go ahead and restart, schools have been ordered to re-open, the RNC convention will take place, and still no Mask mandate...

This is just going to get worse and worse.
The only real questions I have are: How long does it take before folks in power HAVE to take action, and whether WDW or Florida shuts down first.

I am quite convinced the RNC convention won't take place (a LOT of prominent members have already announced they won't attend and organizers started backing away from the idea over the last few days) and schools in Florida will not reopen in person in Fall. I'm less sure about the NBA, because I think WDW shuts down by mid-August or sooner, and I don't know how that will effect those plans.

Casper Gutman

Yeah, you are probably right. I was trying to be more optimistic. I have no reason based in facts to think it will die down...just hope. I also hoped that the virus would be seasonal and die off in the summer or maybe even just disappear like SARS did. You can see how much good hope has gotten me :(

I think it’s inevitable that FL will pass NY by the end of July in total cases, the only open question is will the recent pull back and mask rules in CA and TX help to slow down their spread leaving FL alone in the “top spot” or will it be CA then FL/TX in the top 3 spots overall.
I strongly suspect Texas closes down this week and thus will begin to see a decline in cases before Florida.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Why do I have this horrible feeling that we are about to see A WDW "Out of an abundance of Caution....." message :(.
Regardless of disclaimers... this issue has GOT to have Disney Lawyers sweating bullets :(. When operating the Parks Risk/Reward ratio goes South? There must be a decision :(.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why do I have this horrible feeling that we are about to see A WDW "Out of an abundance of Caution....." message :(.
Regardless of disclaimers... this issue has GOT to have Disney Lawyers sweating bullets :(. When operating the Parks Risk/Reward ratio goes South? There must be a decision :(.
Really, I don’t see it. They had ample time to pause or delay their re-opening while cases were surging. If they didn’t delay then I can’t see them shutting it back down now. I don’t think anything has changed enough to warrant that. I could see them ride it out for a few weeks to a month and if cases continue to rise and more importantly demand bottoms out they could shut it down then but I don’t see them throwing in the towel this soon. They spent a lot of cash to get the opening done and for the first time maybe since EPCOT was built TWDC doesn‘t necessarily have a lot of extra cash to throw around.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It is possible even if they don't shut down what has opened that they will delay any further openings.
If demand isn’t strong there‘s no reason to think they would open all of the resorts and even if they do whole sections could stay closed.

Casper Gutman

Really, I don’t see it. They had ample time to pause or delay their re-opening while cases were surging. If they didn’t delay then I can’t see them shutting it back down now. I don’t think anything has changed enough to warrant that. I could see them ride it out for a few weeks to a month and if cases continue to rise and more importantly demand bottoms out they could shut it down then but I don’t see them throwing in the towel this soon. They spent a lot of cash to get the opening done and for the first time maybe since EPCOT was built TWDC doesn‘t necessarily have a lot of extra cash to throw around.
Cases are easy to dismiss, especially if you have a strong financial motive to do so. I suspect a lot of WDW executives have spent the last month really, really immersed in wishful thinking.

Negative outcomes are much less easy to dismiss. Tons of news stories about the worsening pandemic in Florida will use images of the castle or of costumed characters. Twitter will become more and more hostile, and WDW execs pay attention to that. If (or when) the RNC cancels their in-person convention and Texas locks down, that will also shift public perceptions. At some point, keeping the park open will be doing more PR damage then execs are willing to stomach. Or Florida itself will lock down.

Heppenheimer

Cases are easy to dismiss, especially if you have a strong financial motive to do so. I suspect a lot of WDW executives have spent the last month really, really immersed in wishful thinking.

Negative outcomes are much less easy to dismiss. Tons of news stories about the worsening pandemic in Florida will use images of the castle or of costumed characters. Twitter will become more and more hostile, and WDW execs pay attention to that. If (or when) the RNC cancels their in-person convention and Texas locks down, that will also shift public perceptions. At some point, keeping the park open will be doing more PR damage then execs are willing to stomach. Or Florida itself will lock down.
Notice where the BBC got their headline picture about the pandemic in Florida. Hint... it wasn't in Ocala.

Bleed0range

Nice I’m seeing jokes on twitter about the new fast passes sending you directly into the ICU.

Leaked photos of an upcoming ride show a coffin.

There’s that “ad” where they replace all the things the cast members are saying behind their masks with cries for help...

oceanbreeze77

I think they were going to try and ride on having positive press regarding all of their safety measures, but the press has labeled Disney reopening a failure. (I would link them but I'm too lazy this Sunday😂) I think the PR may be the thing that sways them a different direction.

mickeymiss

I prefer to believe that the surge in cases in most of the south is the result of things like lack of masks and proper distancing and things opening too fast and that the lack of spikes in the NE and other states is due to better following of the rules. The alternative is that it’s just a natural progression that would have happened no matter what. If the second option is true then there’s a good chance the states doing better right now will see an inevitable spike at some point and the current spikes will die off and start up again without any human control. That’s a pretty grim prognosis. I’d prefer to think we have some control over it and that our actions can help to at least somewhat reduce outbreaks and spread. Time will tell.

My husband thought maybe people up north are going outside more as people in the south are inside more. I have no doubt that there's a combo effect happening in Florida but I can't really understand why Florida in particular is seeing such a higher number of total cases than border states. Most of the south opened up around the same time, didn't they? I haven't been tracking what's going on in the west other than that California was much more strict with lockdowns than the south so their trends are surprising too.

It would be GRAND if the public could be given context to these numbers. Any kind of basic outline of what type of activities and situations were driving the numbers up like that.

mickeymiss

As stated many times on this forum, they are trying to figure this out.

Yes and it would be grand! It is critical for the communities to have perspective. The last thing we want is for people to fully panic and avoid seeking care for ailments that aren't covid. My friend's father ignored stroke symptoms because he didn't want to be in an ER. We have to make sure these people feel safe to seek care.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My husband thought maybe people up north are going outside more as people in the south are inside more. I have no doubt that there's a combo effect happening in Florida but I can't really understand why Florida in particular is seeing such a higher number of total cases than border states. Most of the south opened up around the same time, didn't they? I haven't been tracking what's going on in the west other than that California was much more strict with lockdowns than the south so their trends are surprising too.

It would be GRAND if the public could be given context to these numbers. Any kind of basic outline of what type of activities and situations were driving the numbers up like that.
The FL governor has refused to budge on masks. It’s become a political issue. When you have a republican governor saying no masks and then a democratic mayor in (pick your FL urban center) saying masks are required a portion of the people resist. In TX right now the republican governor and the democratic mayors of the major cities are all actively pushing masks and distancing. A unified government across all levels would go a long way towards getting the public to buy into following recommendations. FL also closed bars and then amended the order to create loopholes to allow a lot of them to re-open.

It’s not really true that CA was much more strict. They were in the beginning but when cases dropped dramatically they accelerated their opening too. They opened indoor dining and bars too fast. The governor has acknowledged this and pulled back. They also didn’t have a mask mandate until a few weeks ago. So they had bars open with no masks (similar to FL and TX). It’s almost across the board that places with more strict requirements and full mask rules have done much better than places without. Bars are also a big problem.

Casper Gutman

We're not going to have firm, exact specifics on the behavior of this virus for many, many years. Honestly, the uncertainty is one of the most difficult parts of this crisis, but it is unavoidable. The only thing we can do is act out of an abundance of caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom