Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceanbreeze77

I prefer to believe that the surge in cases in most of the south is the result of things like lack of masks and proper distancing and things opening too fast and that the lack of spikes in the NE and other states is due to better following of the rules.
But people follow leadership. There were leaders who mocked the usage of masks, told people it was totally safe to eat indoors, to gather, and so people believed them. Their behavior followed.

Phil12

So on the day WDW re-opens FL has 15,299 positive tests. Definitely bad timing. Here’s some sobering stats I clipped from an article which I won’t post here because the rest of it got political and would surely result in an unnecessary off topic debate.

If Florida were a country, it would rank fourth in the world for the most new cases a day behind the rest of the United States, Brazil and India. Its daily increases have already surpassed the highest daily tally reported by any European country during the height of the pandemic there. Florida has also broken New York State's record of 12,847 new cases on April 10 when it was the epicenter of the U.S. outbreak.

I realize that more testing probably would have pushed the NY and European numbers up, but it’s still pretty sobering to see just how big the spike in cases is. FL now sits 150K cases behind NY overall and 60K back of CA. If current trends continue FL, CA and TX could all pass NY in the next few weeks to a month. Hopefully the spike dies down in all those places and cases start to fall soon and also that NY doesn’t see a resurgence like the south is seeing now.
The problem is that WDW is one of the most heavily visited tourist attractions in the USA. It's open for business while COVID-19 infections are at an all time high in Florida. Mixing out of state tourists with locals is a recipe for turning community spread into regional spread and national spread.

If I was a general at war and trying to defeat an enemy force with a biological agent, I couldn't concoct a better scenario than the one currently occurring at WDW right now.

Heppenheimer

We also need to find a way to increase lab capacity. Its one thing to have enough tests, but we need to increase the capacity to actually run them. I got tested Friday morning and they told me my results would take 7-10 days. The last time I got tested it took 24 hours. We need to invest in creating more lab centers because 7-10 days is far too long and only increases the chance of spreading the virus.
If that point-of-care test ends up panning out, it should relieve some of the back-log in the labs.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If that point-of-care test ends up panning out, it should relieve some of the back-log in the labs.
How soon will that be? We need it now.

I saw a story where they said when the Republican convention comes to Jacksonville in August they won’t require masks or physical distancing but they instead want to require daily testing for all attendees. A party national convention generally draws at least 50,000 attendees so thats a whole lot of testing for already overloaded labs and they would need the results in hours not days otherwise what’s the point?

oceanbreeze77

How soon will that be? We need it now.

I saw a story where they said when the Republican convention comes to Jacksonville in August they won’t require masks or physical distancing but they instead want to require daily testing for all attendees. A party national convention generally draws at least 50,000 attendees so thats a whole lot of testing for already overloaded labs and they would need the results in hours not days otherwise what’s the point?
based on what I'm reading over the last few days....I'm doubtful the convention will happen

GoofGoof

Premium Member
based on what I'm reading over the last few days....I'm doubtful the convention will happen
Still 6 weeks away so who knows what things will be like by then. My only point is that if they go down the route of requiring daily testing for tens of thousands of people they better have the capacity for a “quick test” and they better supplement the existing labs to do it.

oceanbreeze77

:)

thanks! Ill make sure to pass this on to someone with a twitter addiction.

Casper Gutman

:)

Just because you don’t look at something doesn’t mean it isn’t there. Sort of like the pandemic.

And I bet a LOT of Disney execs have a twitter addiction right about now.

oceanbreeze77

Just because you don’t look at something doesn’t mean it isn’t there. Sort of like the pandemic.

And I bet a LOT of Disney execs have a twitter addiction right about now.
side note: its amazing (and a sign of the times) how twitter has become a primary news source. Its literally right at your fingertips right as its happening

DisneyYorkian74

Hopefully the spike dies down in all those places and cases start to fall soon

The MAJOR issue that FL has faced over the past month when the numbers first started to rise is that there hasn’t been any action taken to mitigate and handle this virus so that this ‘spike’ will die down.

There’s absolutely no reason why it should even start to diminish in any way.

Since June - WDW has re-opened, NBA is still planned to go ahead and restart, schools have been ordered to re-open, the RNC convention will take place, and still no Mask mandate...

This is just going to get worse and worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom