Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
They are exactly the model to follow for countries that fail to contain it in the first place, take the right strict measures at the peak of the outbreak, and have been able to get to a place where they can safely reopen without a massive spike. It’s costly, you don’t want to get out of control in the first place - but in terms of squelching the forest fire once it’s burning down the forest, there are worse models. Which was the point. They did something we utterly failed to do.

Except, of course, in my home state for the time being. :)
What’s a worse model? So I can take a look see.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
That's why you should look at hospitalizations first before anything else. And they're going through the roof.
Hospitalizations are high, but the death rate is the lowest in two months. And the death rate is still highest amongst people over 70.

Hospitalization doesn't equal death. Hospitals nation wide are capable of handling a surge and ready to go. And as always, the recovery rate is still above 98%. But let me say it before someone else does, ..."here we go again". Which is the most ridiculous rebuttal. And highlighting the survival rate does not mean a person is ok with someone dying. It's just highlighting the glue that holds so many people together....the "data".

mickeymiss

If they end up in the same place and I had to choose, I'd rather take the path that has me able to visit WDW...
I am stupid in love with Disney World but also have severe anxiety. It speaks volumes for me that I still want to go. That is how confident the plan makes me feel. I can't explain it any other way. I just think they are going to do this right. I really do.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
What? It didn’t go poorly. They got control of the virus and cases and deaths are at a fraction of what they were.

Letting it get a foothold and not reacting fast enough in the first place is what NYC and the Northeast in general did horribly. Unfortunately, TX and FL seem dedicated to repeating that mistake and then some.
Um. Yeah. Poorly. 1600 deaths per million. Worst in the world actually. And they locked down on March 20th. When there was only 43 total deaths. 🤷‍♂️

Ponderer

Um. Yeah. Poorly. 1600 deaths per million. Worst in the world actually. And they locked down on March 20th. When there was only 43 total deaths. 🤷‍♂️

...You do realize how this disease spreads, right? As someone said, the ideal response to realizing you have a COVID situation on your hands is to go back two weeks and do everything different. It’s a time bomb. All you can do at that point is try to put out the fire.

Don’t conflate how a community gets infected - where NYC did everything wrong that you can do wrong - with the response that gets the virus down to levels where they can start to reopen again. Lockdown worked. It put out the fire.

Now, massively aggressive testing and contact tracing probably would work better, but we’re not really willing to do that now either, so it’s academic.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
...You do realize how this disease spreads, right? As someone said, the ideal response to realizing you have a COVID situation on your hands is to go back two weeks and do everything different. It’s a time bomb. All you can do at that point is try to put out the fire.

Don’t conflate how a community gets infected - where NYC did everything wrong that you can do wrong - with the response that gets the virus down to levels where they can start to reopen again. Lockdown worked. It put out the fire.

Now, massively aggressive testing and contact tracing probably would work better, but we’re not really willing to do that now either, so it’s academic.

Dude just stop. 32k deaths. I think that is like 20% of overall deaths for the US. I’m glad they have it under control for now. As is everyone else. But there is going to be some type of spike/surge as things reopen in the state more. And I hope they have the systems in place to be able to deal with it. To be honest, I expect it may get an bit iffy again in certain places. Most of the other large states have definitely not been immune to surges.

And no state is looking to go down the NY road. There have been mistakes. And there have been reactions to those mistakes. And there have also been proactive measures more recently that some agree with while others don’t.

When Texas started reopening, the positivity rate was well below 5% and stayed that way for quite some time and things started reopening more and more. It wasn’t an instantaneous reopening as some suggested. But apparently the plan had flaws, people got too comfortable and we were not able to prevent a surge. And now we have to deal with that as best as we can. Suspending further reopenings. Pulling back in certain areas where necessary. Dealing with hospital capacity. And the obvious social distancing measures.

lets not divide so much.

Last edited:

Miss Bella

I have said it before, but I truly believe that we will in fact see a full lockdown from multiple states in the coming weeks. Texas is struggling with hospital capacity, Arizona is in a dire situation, and many populated areas of CA (especially LA) are about to be in a dire situation, these states are all starting to recognize and adapt to the situation that lies ahead.

PS who knows WTH Florida is doing.
How do you know it’s dire?

Miss Bella

eh. That is an overstatement. There are a couple hospitals with some concerns. But the state has been proactive over the last week or so to ensure capacity doesn’t turn into a major issue.
Hospital capacity is manageable in Arizona. Certain posters love being dramatic. It will be interesting to see what these 500 medical personnel are going to be doing.

toolsnspools

We also have to stop fixating about mortality on this. This is doing a lot more than just killing people. It's causing tons of permanent damage in all age groups. There are people who have been fighting this for 4 months. Mortality has gone down as we understand that mechanism, but we don't understand what's causing organ damage, mini-clots, and even paranoid delusions. This would be a lot easier to understand if this was just a respiratory disease, but it's not.
Actually, I don't have to stop fixating on mortality. We use mortality as a measurement in many other places, and it works well here too. We don't tear up interstates because of injuries due to accidents, we don't burn down the forest because of side effects of Lyme disease, we don't close all McDonald's because of the side effects of obesity.

I don't dismiss that there are side effects, and serious ones. I do refuse to hide under a rock for the next year or two and hope for a handful of people to develop a vaccine, that may or may not have side effects of its own. Remember, the same people have been working on a vaccine for SARS since 2008. The more we treat COVID patients the better we will get at reducing/eliminating the side effects. The more people that get and survive COVID, the more immunity we have as a society.

Miss Bella

toolsnspools

This is not the point. It matters because if you fill up all the hospital beds with people who are not going to die, but are fighting massive multi-month battles with side-effects like organ failure, brain trauma, cytokine storms, blood clots, sudden onset dementia, amputations, guess what happens when you have a heart attack? You’re triaged. Bye. Cancer? No room in the inn. Arizona is already activating triage protocols. And oh yeah, the doctors and nurses are going to start getting sick again and some of them are going to die. This is about the complete collapse of the health care system If we don’t take this seriously.

Mortality is one measure. But it doesn’t tell the story of the strain on the entire health-care system. That’s why we were trying to flatten the curve in the first place - not to reduce the spread of the infection, but to slow it enough to ease the strain on the system. So that when you rush little Johnny to the ER because his appendix is exploding, he doesn’t die in the hallway bc there’s literally zero capacity to deal with him.

If you don’t live in fear of that, I don’t know what to tell you.
Overwhelmed hospitals is a ploy. I have a friend who is an independent travelling doctor. He's licensed to work in multiple states. He works ERs and directly with COVID patients, when he's working. Right now, he's worried about getting work. He has only been able to book one week of the next three months. He is the exact type of doctor that would be called to fill a gap, if a hospital was short handed.

Miss Bella

The AZ state health director literally activated the triage protocols on Monday, according to the conspiracy website the Arizona Republic.
Other states have activated emergency protocols.People that need care are getting care. You make it sound like people aren’t getting treated and left to die.

oceanbreeze77

Other states have activated emergency protocols.People that need care are getting care. You make it sound like people aren’t getting treated and left to die.
the situation is so dire in Arizona that they activated the protocol and now this may very soon be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom