Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

legwand77

Just a friendly reminder that "essential work" has been determined arbitrarily in a lot of areas. My father worked at a printing company that made college pamphlets. He has diabetes and hypertension. If he wasn't retired, he'd have to be there. Disney World is not essential to guests but certainly to employees and the company we all love. It has also been transformed inside and out to offer the safest experience imaginable for everyone.
Yes , a company that only made birthday cupcakes was essential in my area. I was happy.

TrojanUSC

The United States is the most geographically diverse country on the planet, it would have made no sense for the response to this to have been federal-led. The appropriate actions for Nebraska and New Jersey are not similar in any way.

If the same techniques that work in Germany can work in South Korea, there is no reason a federal response in Arkansas would be different in Florida, other than adjusting for population and some localized guidelines. Contact tracing, standardized reopening guidelines led by science, etc.

legwand77

I agree with this although it’s sorta the *** backwards way to do it. The smarter plan would have been to slowly introduce things and then assess the impact to decide if they are a problem or not. Instead there was an all out rush to open everything. So if bars and theme parks and barber shops didn’t all open at once we’d have a better idea what the definitive cause is. Now you have everything open and they shut down bars hoping that does the trick but what do you do if cases still rise. Go for theme parks next or barber shops? I’m just using those 3 as an example but pick any various item you like. Obviously there’s a lot more than 3 choices.
Good luck with that, arbitrarily deciding what businesses can open close, it is bad enough as it is, look at all the bars and restaurants working around it. That would never work in the US.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Good luck with that, arbitrarily deciding what businesses can open close, it is bad enough as it is, look at all the bars and restaurants working around it. That would never work in the US.
It’s working pretty well here in PA so far. Some stuff is fully open some stuff still has restrictions and it was a slow roll out of things too. Amusement and theme parks open now, but there’s still no bars open with standing room areas. Restaurants still have capacity limits. It’s easy to do vs opening It all within a period of a few weeks.

DisneyCane

I was just throwing that in as an example. Sub in gyms or something else. I do agree that bars are the likely cause of the more recent spikes, but you do have theme parks, water parks and other amusements venues open now too (not Disney but all others). I wish they would have just waited on certain things and been a little more deliberate in their plans, but you can’t go back in time.
From a purely scientific perspective, I agree with you. However, logistically, if they did that, it would take many months to reopen because you have to wait long enough after each thing it's open to see how it effects the data.

legwand77

also to put the situation in Houston/Harris county in perspective, from the current SETRAC hospital census

Firefox_Screenshot_2020-06-26T22-52-59.681Z.png

Miss Bella

It’s working pretty well here in PA so far. Some stuff is fully open some stuff still has restrictions and it was a slow roll out of things too. Amusement and theme parks open now, but there’s still no bars open with standing room areas. Restaurants still have capacity limits. It’s easy to do vs opening It all within a period of a few weeks.
I think spikes in every state are going to happen eventually. You see the same kind of migration with the flu.

legwand77

I think spikes in every state are going to happen eventually. You see the same kind of migration with the flu.
Yes, and this is following the same pattern, albeit delayed due to lockdown, flu outbreaks start in the north and moves south into the spring traditionally, but got delayed ths year to summer due to lockdown.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
From a purely scientific perspective, I agree with you. However, logistically, if they did that, it would take many months to reopen because you have to wait long enough after each thing it's open to see how it effects the data.
It for sure would have taken longer to get everything open, but could have possibly prevented a need for pull backs like we are seeing now. Slow and steady was the talking point everyone agreed on in the first week of May when the country started re-opening. We may have gotten a little ahead of ourselves that’s all.

legwand77

It’s funny to me how people are suddenly worried about hospital capacity. I’ve worked in healthcare for over twenty years and no one has ever cared. I’m going to remind people of this when flu season gets here.
I know, same here, the hysterics are fascinating. all you have to do is look back a few years when the flu was real bad, overflow tents, surges etc. No one cared then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom