Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceanbreeze77

If you don't see political motives in the way we're handling this virus, you're blind. It's 100% political. I don't care if your name is Trump, DeSantis, Cuomo, Whitmer, Pence, Fauci, Birx, or Iger, it's ALL politics.
Yes, the way its been handled has been politicized, but to peddle the conspiracy theory that everything will open Nov 4 is just ridiculous.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Guess you missed the part where the California Disney union has come to an agreement with Disney regarding Disneyland since then and then Union is ready to get back to work.

There are several unions. Workers United Local 50 (they represent ~7,850 F&B workers) have not come to an agreement yet.

CaptainAmerica

Would you care to enlighten us as to who these experts are? Because right now WHO has it pegged at upwards of 40% of cases are asymtomatic (down from an 80% estimation in March), and theres many papers suggesting similar figures, the lowest repuatable ones suggeting 20%.

Even taking the sole lowest figure of 20% thats not "rare" by any stretch.
I honestly don't think you understand what "asymptomatic transmission" means.

If a sick person infects 5 people, and 2 of those people are asymptomatic and 3 of those people are symptomatic, that's 40% of cases that are asymptomatic. None of that is "asymptomatic transmission." If the first guy was symptomatic, that's 100% symptomatic transmission.

Jrb1979

and mask are not required or being worn by many
No but the difference people here for the most part are following the guidelines. I think being fined for not complying is a big for that. As well as most don't want to go back to being in lockdown.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So all of this has spread from people feeling sick but who ventured out anyway to the stores, restaurants and gatherings spreading to others? After everything that we have been through the past 3 months? Yeah, that doesn't sound right.
The math seems hard to believe. So if 9,000 people test positive in a day and on average every sick person infects 2 additional people that’s 4,500 people (the vast majority with active symptoms) wandering around infecting people. That’s just 1 day as an example. Seems more likely a larger number of those people didn’t know they were sick then that they just went out anyway even though they had symptoms. If it’s true asymptomatic spread is rare then mask rules are even more important because that means a lot of sick people with symptoms are just going out anyway and putting others at risk.

legwand77

No but the difference people here for the most part are following the guidelines. I think being fined for not complying is a big for that. As well as most don't want to go back to being in lockdown.
and it is pretty much the same in here in the states as well, of course with the outliers that have been amplified it does not appear to be, but it is.

Chi84

Premium Member
I wonder if people aren't mixing up the concepts of asymptomatic spread and degree of contagion. It's true that asymptomatic and presymptomatic spread occur, but a person is most likely to get infected if they are in prolonged contact with an infected person, primarily indoors. Even then, there was a study linked here a few days ago that showed the spouse of an infected person had a 27.8% chance of becoming infected and other members of the household had a 19% chance. These are people in direct contact with an infected person. When the infected person self-isolated in the home after showing symptoms, no other members of the household contracted the virus. Sorry I don't have the link handy right now.

My understanding is that social distancing and masks are meant to curtail widespread transmission of the virus. This is vital because, according to the latest information from the CDC, 94% of the people in this country do not have the virus - we can still curtail the spread if we follow the recommended measures. Maybe I'm misreading some of the comments here, but it seems as though some people believe they are in great danger if someone walks past them not wearing a mask simply because of "asymptomatic spread."

legwand77

and of the people that had 84% didn't realize it. Bunch of bars there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom