Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopemax

That's a rather disingenuous statistic. It's not nothing or death.
Since we are talking disingenuous statistics. :D

The MK gets over 20 million visitors per year. If only 1.5% of them died, it would be 300,000 people. Can you imagine anyone feeling safe enough to visit if that many people died? Even if you thought half of them were repeat visitors that would be 150,000 people.

Risk management is not as simple as saying, "It's only 1.5%." For a lot of health & safety circumstances, 1.5% failure is a big number.

trainplane3

@wdwmagic, the DVC announcement:

Dear Disney Vacation Club Member,
A little more than two months ago, I shared with you the details of our company’s plans to temporarily close our parks and resorts, pause cruises and make other changes because of COVID-19. While this time apart has been challenging for all of us, physical-distancing efforts around the globe have helped slow the spread of the virus and have allowed Disney to plan for a gradual reopening.

We began earlier this month with the phased reopening of Shanghai Disneyland and Disney Springs at Walt Disney World Resort. Today, Disney CEO Bob Chapek announced additional plans including the expected reopening of Disney’s Vero Beach Resort and Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort on June 15 and all Disney Vacation Club properties at the Walt Disney World Resort on June 22.
This is fantastic news and yet another positive step forward – for our Members, guests and our Disney teams.

As we prepare to welcome you home, we have assessed every aspect of the resort experience – from pre-arrival to housekeeping to recreation – with your safety and that of our Cast Members as our top priority. A summary of what you can expect during your next visit is posted on the Disney Parks Blog. Some of the operational adjustments include:

• Enhanced cleaning of all rooms prior to arrival, including additional measures for dishware and appliances for Disney Vacation Club units, along with the standard Disney Vacation Club housekeeping services during your stay
  • Increased cleaning and sanitization in high-traffic areas
  • New hand-sanitizing stations in key areas
  • Physical distancing at restaurants, lobbies, pools, fitness centers and other public areas, including reducing capacity where appropriate
Our Members and guests will also play an important role in helping prevent the spread of illness. Like our Cast, all Members and guests will be asked to wear face coverings in public resort areas when not eating or drinking and to respect physical distancing. Members and guests are also strongly encouraged to check in remotely through the My Disney Experience app, frequently wash their hands and use cashless payment options. More details about these operational adjustments, including offerings that may remain temporarily suspended at individual resorts, are available online at disneyworld.com. While these adjustments may make the places you call “home” feel a little different for the time being, we will continue to make adjustments as the situation evolves.

As you may be aware, it was also announced today that Walt Disney World Resort submitted a proposal to government officials in Florida describing our approach for a phased reopening of Walt Disney World Resort theme parks planned to begin on July 11. Reopening dates for The Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa as well as Aulani, Disney Vacation Club Villas, Ko Olina Hawai’i have not been determined, and we will share updates about those resorts just as soon as we’re able. Members wishing to alter their existing resort reservations may do so online at disneyvacationclub.com or contact Member Services for assistance.

Finally, as part of our continued efforts to provide flexibility during these uncertain times, we are further changing and extending our temporary policies regarding expiring points. April, June and now August, September and October 2019 Use Year points that are set to expire in 2020 and that were used for reservations during the closure period will be extended for one year from the current expiration date. Additionally, April, June and now August, September and October 2018 Use Year points that were banked into 2019 Use Years and used for these reservations will now all expire November 30, 2020. This temporary policy only includes expiring points that were used to book a stay arriving between March 12 and the end of the closure period and that involve a reservation cancelled after February 29. Additional information on these policies is available at disneyvacationclub.com.

All of us at Disney Vacation Club thank you, not only for your patience and understanding but for the many well wishes we’ve received during our closure. The reopening of these resorts is an encouraging step forward, and our Cast couldn’t be happier to welcome you home. To borrow words from a familiar tune, there’s a great big beautiful tomorrow, and tomorrow is just a dream away!

See you real soon,
Terri A. Schultz
Senior Vice President
Disney Vacation Club, Guided Adventures & Expeditions and Golden Oak

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
That's a rather disingenuous statistic. It's not nothing or death.
Is it not just as disingenuous to imply that I referred to it as nothing or death? I simply said that 98.5% will survive. I don't think anyone would take away that I meant "surviving" equates to no discomfort or pain.

Many years ago I had a bad case of bronchitis and it lasted several months and I survived it. Stating that I survived it does not mean it was pain free or without any discomfort.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The CDC only takes into account positive cases and deaths - which is why I said earlier that we need more studies done on those who have recovered. The range of symptoms is enormous, and some who have recovered will have long-term effects to their health because of the virus.
What is the survival rate of all the people who experience the enormous range of symptoms and long term effects?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If you have Disney Stock. Unload it quickly.

And...mostly nothing, except a surprising short spike *up* before the announcement, then back to basically normal.

In general, Disney's stocks have mirrored the Dow since COVID.

1590607160281.png

lazyboy97o

It's disingenuous to imply that I referred to it as nothing or death. I simply said that 98.5% will survive. I don't think anyone would take away that I meant "surviving" equates to no discomfort or pain.

Many years ago I had a bad case of bronchitis and it lasted several months and I survived it. Stating that I survived it does not mean it was pain free or without any discomfort.
You said "about 98.5% of people know exactly what it will do to their body and they will SURVIVE". You are the one who conflated survival with the symptoms experienced. That 98.5% of people do not know "exactly" what will happen to their body. Some may feel nothing, others may have pneumonia for weeks but there is absolutely no certainty regarding who will experience what or what sort of long term damage may be incurred.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Because it isn't that simple. It is FAR more deadly to elderly people than to middle aged and younger people. Also, a very disproportionate percentage of the deaths are to nursing home residents. In Florida, almost 48% of the deaths were nursing home residents while nursing home residents make up less than 0.5% of the population of Florida. Nursing home residents tend to be both very old and have many medical issues.

As of the latest data, the mortality rate in Florida for documented cases of people under age 55 is 0.46%. That doesn't take into account all of the asymptomatic and mild cases that weren't detected (which become more likely the younger somebody is). In Florida, there has yet to be a single fatality in a person under age 25 despite 5,364 documented cases in people under age 25.

It is very bad for a certain age demographic, especially when people in that demographic have underlying medical conditions, but is not very bad for the "general population."

The elderly *are part of* the general population.

You keep wanting to only look at one thing: young people. And you do so to trivialize the death rate.

How do you think those 100,000 human beings died? Because they interacted with the general population.

A hundred thousand people in the U.S. have died and you say, "Hey, the children are fine!"

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
But,... but... Disney was going to wisely wait and learn from Universals mistakes, and then open in July or August!

And they are indeed opening in mid-July!

So Disney did as many of us thought.

But you... you have such a hate on for Disney that your presence on a fan board for WDW is a mystery. And it leads you to say such ridiculous and very very wrong things. Do you never tire of your hysterical shenanigans?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The elderly *are part of* the general population.

You keep wanting to only look at one thing: young people. And you do so to trivialize the death rate.

How do you think those 100,000 human beings died? Because they interacted with the general population.

A hundred thousand people in the U.S. have died and you say, "Hey, the children are fine!"
Looking at young people started yesterday when at least one person wanted to use the extremely small number of deaths and cases in children as the determining factor in whether we should halt reopenings. So I wouldn’t pin this on him.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I have. You have not accepted point two that I wrote, which is you cannot count on everyone to follow the rules and use common sense.
You're missing the point. There's no such thing as "safely, with guidelines in place, not like some of the videos and pictures we've seen lately." Many (most? all?) of the videos and pictures we've seen lately are in places WITH those guidelines in place. People don't care.

So. Not everyone will follow the rules.

So?...

Yeah, really... so?

What's the unspoken part of your argument? That we shouldn't even try?

Some people won't wear seat belts or bike helmets!? So?... we shouldn't have laws that mandate them?

Some people take things that don't belong to them!! So?... we shouldn't have laws against theft?

Some people will murder other people!! So?... we shouldn't have laws against murder?

Some people won't wear masks!! So?... we shouldn't have rules about wearing masks?

Are you advocating for a continuous Purge?

Or is the argument really a rallying call for everyone to become a scofflaw and refuse to wear masks, because if we all refuse to, they can't make us!!?

Shouldn't the real response be to complain to the enforcers to start enforcing properly? To Tweet to Disney Today pictures of people not wearing masks and ask them why they're not creating a safe environment for those who do follow the rules?

Or do you just want to see things fall apart so you don't have to wear a mask?

So... what's the point of pointing out people aren't or won't follow the rules? What's the follow-up to that observation?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The death rate in Georgia (which I was clearly referring to), has not increased. It's on the decline.

I wouldn't say it's going up. But I would most definitely say that it is definitely not going down...

1590608771233.png

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
So. Not everyone will follow the rules.

So?...

Yeah, really... so?

What's the unspoken part of your argument? That we shouldn't even try?
No. The opposite in fact. I don’t know how much of the entire post was directed to me specifically, but I think you’re really misreading my stance. Or I haven’t made my stance clear. If you have a specific question for me I would be more than happy to answer.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Looking at young people started yesterday when at least one person wanted to use the extremely small number of deaths and cases in children as the determining factor in whether we should halt reopenings. So I wouldn’t pin this on him.

Yes, I questioned that argument by pointing out it's mostly irrelevant due to overall death. Then I got pushback on that from someone who still wanted to just focus the young. So, again, I'm making the point that doing that just trivializes the overall situation.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
No. The opposite in fact. I don’t know how much of the entire post was directed to me specifically, but I think you’re really misreading my stance. Or I haven’t made my stance clear. If you have a specific question for me I would be more than happy to answer.
Then I apologize for mischaracterizing your stance.

Angelo721

WOW! Good on Lowe's!!!
Yes good one, until you realize that Lowes Employees can't grab people by the scruff of the neck and trow them out like some 80's Bouncer in the movies. This type of intimidation will not fly. Why can't the employee ask the man to go to his space, no it has to degrade to some "I will kick you out" Then when the Lowes Employee puts one hand in the guy and gets sued for assault or worse gets killed because the nut had a gun.

We all can calm down and use our heads.

All of this is pure Fear. We are told to wear masks when you can't social distance, when you need to be less than 6 feet apart. You don't need to Social Distance and wear a mask, that is over kill.

Relax, breathe, We should all watch Zenimation on Disney Plus and relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom