Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
How much are they losing per day with the parks closed? They just announced the parks will be closed for 6 more weeks. Maybe I’ll be wrong and the stock won’t dip.
It’s a sunk cost. Opening for those 6 weeks at limited capacity isn’t going to return normal profits. Much lower revenue (park limits, lower restaurant capacity, etc) plus increased costs for new measures implemented offset partially by decrease costs from no shows, parades, fireworks and certain attractions closed doesn’t get you close to normal profits. Most analysts had already written off the parks segment for the rest of this fiscal year. If there’s a move in stock price it will be sentimental and not based in fundamentals or financial impact. I think a lot of people see headline that Disney announces opening plan and it could be a boost although it isn’t much of a surprise.

Miss Bella

And how there is absolutely no proof social distancing and economic destruction did anything?
Since our state reopened we've been slammed, but not with Covid patients, but with the chronically ill that have been avoiding the hospital for two months. They are coming back really sick.
I hope we learned something from all this and we never approach a pandemic the way we did this one.

Disney Analyst

Of course Disney will open when there are enough tourists since it is a so much bigger park than the others, the operating cost is much more expensive, remember travel restrictions between Canada, Mexico and USA are set through June 22nd and during June a lot of people will have time to plan their disney vacations so all the tourists can concentrate in July and August, and probably the physical distancing could be reduced or relaxed by the time they open

I almost guarantee the Canada / US border closure will be extended further. Many provincial leaders do not want it open this summer.

Disney Analyst

How is MK more complex tha IOA? Especially if fireworks, M&Gs, and parades aren’t happening.

A theme park isolated by water that requires mass transportation to get to.

A theme park with an entire city below it. With tight hallways.

A theme park that requires transporting all CMs in via bus.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Getting to and from MK adds a layer of complexity due to the transportation options - the majority of Universal is walkable, WDW is not.
Universal is much easier logistically. Similar to DLR. everything funnels into one main area and then the 2 park gates. No need for buses, boats, monorails. They may run some transport from the hotels or they may just let people walk. It’s a reasonable walk to both parks from all Universal resorts. Same cannot be said for Disney. Disney’s blessing of physical size is a curse in this case.

Incomudro

Universal is much easier logistically. Similar to DLR. everything funnels into one main area and then the 2 park gates. No need for buses, boats, monorails. They may run some transport from the hotels or they may just let people walk. It’s a reasonable walk to both parks from all Universal resorts. Same cannot be said for Disney. Disney’s blessing of physical size is a curse in this case.

WDW is a city.

Tom P.

Since our state reopened we've been slammed, but not with Covid patients, but with the chronically ill that have been avoiding the hospital for two months. They are coming back really sick.
I hope we learned something from all this and we never approach a pandemic the way we did this one.
This I agree with. I think much of the lockdown we did was necessary, but essentially putting a halt to any medical procedure that wasn't COVID-19 was ludicrous. Not to mention scaring people half to death at even the thought of visiting a doctor's office or emergency room. Yes, we want to control the spread of COVID-19, but people have to be able to deal with other health issues as well.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Because theme park capacity will be significantly limited as we welcome guests back to the magic, we will manage attendance through a new theme park reservation system that will require all guests to obtain a reservation for park entry in advance. At this time, we are temporarily pausing new ticket sales and Disney Resort hotel reservations so we can focus on guests with existing tickets and reservations (Disney Vacation Club members can still make new reservations). Existing ticket holders and Annual Passholders will be able to make reservation requests in phases before new tickets are sold; we’ll be reaching out to these guests soon to provide additional details. We will resume new ticket sales and hotel reservations after that period of time. Theme park reservations will be limited due to attendance limitations and will be subject to availability. More details about this new reservation system will be available soon.

Additionally, Disney Vacation Club resorts at Walt Disney World will reopen to members and guests and Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground will begin to reopen on June 22. Disney Vacation Club resorts in Vero Beach, Florida, and Hilton Head, South Carolina, will also open to members and guests starting on June 15. Plans to support required physical distancing as well as enhanced cleaning measures, along with a number of other safety and cleanliness protocols, will be implemented as part of this planned phased reopening. "

dmw

In the Parks
No
I think they picked July to not only give them time to prepare, but also time to make changes if there is another spike. We won't see the results of Memorial Day for another 3-4 weeks and if in fact there is a spike, it would be easy for them to say "we cannot open now."
Or they might see a downward trend which could then mean relaxing the restrictions on masks, social distancing, etc. Either way, it gives Disney time to assess what happens at Universal, Sea World, et al and make adjustments as needed.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Excess Deaths Associated with COVID-19

The death rate in Georgia (which I was clearly referring to), has not increased. It's on the decline. Why you would post that article as any form of rebuttal to my statement is beyond me. And here is a direct quote from the article you posted: "These deaths could represent misclassified COVID-19 deaths, or potentially could be indirectly related to COVID-19 (e.g., deaths from other causes occurring in the context of health care shortages or overburdened health care systems)."

That article is also littered with the word "estimates". If you took a shot eveytime you read the word "estimates", you'd be dead from alcohol poisoning, but hey, the hosptial would just "estimate" it as a death from Covid and collect another $30,000!

Just stay inside, wear your mask in your own car while driving, keep the news on 24x7 so when the CDC admits they were wrong about something else (which is happening quite frequently), you can keep waiting for "new data" and you'll be perfectly safe, ....forever and ever.

Miss Bella

This I agree with. I think much of the lockdown we did was necessary, but essentially putting a halt to any medical procedure that wasn't COVID-19 was ludicrous. Not to mention scaring people half to death at even the thought of visiting a doctor's office or emergency room. Yes, we want to control the spread of COVID-19, but people have to be able to deal with other health issues as well.
We will never know if the lockdown was necessary. Thankfully it’s behind us and hopefully is never repeated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom