Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
What outbreaks? In large parts of the country we are still seeing thousands of cases a day. You can’t target an outbreak when its that spread out. It is what it is. We have some testing setup. If things get worse we won’t know for a while anyway since reporting has been pulled way back. Enjoy the summer and wish for the best.

when a county sees a surge, you do targeted testing in the community to get a hold of the situation. That is one tool that is utilized.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You're missing the point. There's no such thing as "safely, with guidelines in place, not like some of the videos and pictures we've seen lately." Many (most? all?) of the videos and pictures we've seen lately are in places WITH those guidelines in place. People don't care.
^^^^ Anyone who thinks that what’s going on now is somehow part of a “plan” or “with guidelines” is kidding themselves. Plans were established with metrics in place and when we did not hit them by a holiday weekend we moved the goalpost to something we could say we hit. It is what it is. I would be surprised if masks or social distancing last even to July 4th weekend.

MaryJaneP

Efforts seem focused on SLOWING the spread, we have not heard any that speak of NO spread. The use of social distancing, temperature checks, masks, and testing are discussed as ways to reduce rather than eliminate infecting people. Fear, blame, and self-interest ideally would not be used. Even an N95 mask is "only" 95% effective.
If Disney cannot put measures in place to SLOW the transmission of this virus, then a second wave, which may be worse than the first, seems probable. Enforcement of measures, where Disney does more than talk the talk, is the question yet to be answered.
Are they enforcing the measures in Shanghai? Is a QR code enough proof. Are 3 year olds wearing masks there? What is the weather like there? Babies do not immediately like having shoes on their feet after spending most of their lives shoeless. Can young kids be acclimated to wearing a mask prior to a WDW vacation?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
when a county sees a surge, you do targeted testing in the community to get a hold of the situation. That is one tool that is utilized.
I don’t see that happening most places. We don’t have anything setup for extensive contact tracing. There’s way too much community spread right now to effectively do it anyway. That was the old plan. Plans change.

RaveOnEd

I don’t see that happening most places. We don’t have anything setup for extensive contact tracing. There’s way too much community spread right now to effectively do it anyway. That was the old plan. Plans change.
When we had some cases in my county, the process was that anyone they were in contact with were contacted and told to get tested and self-quarantine. And that was early April sometime.

I guess it depends on the locality.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

I have seen it happening in my state and a few others. The good news is that these state leaders speak constantly and can share how they implemented something.

On a bit of a side note, I think it is important to call out that all state leaders are looking at the data, models, etc. However, the decisions they make based on this information and other components may not always align with what we think is the way to go. Because they make a decision that goes against where you/us think they should go, doesn’t mean they aren’t looking at the data or even ignoring the data. They just reached a different decision. There is no one right answer necessarily.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
When we had some cases in my county, the process was that anyone they were in contact with were contacted and told to get tested and self-quarantine. And that was early April sometime.

I guess it depends on the locality.
in the beginning before mass community spread they were doing contact tracing most places. Once the case load hits a certain level it’s not possible. In large parts of the country the case level is still too high to do it effectively.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have seen in happening in my state and a few others. The good news is that these state leaders speak constantly and can share how they implemented something.

On a bit of a side note, I think it is important to call out that all state leaders are looking at the data, models, etc. However, the decisions they make based on this information and other components may not always align with what we think is the way to go. Because they make a decision that goes against where you/us think they should go, doesn’t mean they aren’t looking at the data or even ignoring the data. They just reached a different decision.
Look, we can just agree to disagree on this. No point in dragging this out.

ImperfectPixie

We won't be able to make smart choices until all the data you referred to is collected?

The only common denominator I see with all the data, is that we continue to learn this virus is less lethal than originally projected. The CDC just announced (again) that the mortality rate is lower than they originally thought.

View attachment 473099

When will we be able to make smart choices? When the mortality rate is 0.0%? Until a vaccine is created? Until everybody is tested? Which wouldn't really matter anyway. If we tested every single person on Earth today and got the results back right away, what about a week from now? A month from now? The same people tested could contract the virus AFTER they were tested. Should we just continue to test every person forever?

The easiest (and smart) choice to make, is to simply stop living in fear and use common sense.
Please don't misconstrue what I said...I'm not saying we can't re-open things or anything like that. I'm saying we need more data. We don't even have a good grasp of how many people have had COVID-19, let alone where most symptoms fall with severity for those who actually experience symptoms. And my opinion that we need more data doesn't come from a place of fear - it comes from a place of logic - the more data we have, the more informed our decision-making is. I'll repeat what I've said before - I really think many governors are making decisions and putting policies into place based on public pressure - not on what the data tells us.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Overall park enhancements for Seaworld -

No finger scans will be required.
Image 5-27-20 at 10.51 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 10.54.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 10.54.39 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom