Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Curious about anyone's thoughts on Kilimanjaro Safari potentially being closed in August? According to both the dibb and touringplans FP+ availability tools, it looks like it will be closed starting August 1. Most of the other things that look too be closed Aug 1 are meet and greets and shows (FOL, Nemo, UP! etc).

Interesting that in July, these are all available, including the Safari. So not sure what any of this means. Were they originally shooting for Aug 1 and didn't bother removing FP+ availability before then? Have they just not gone back and re-adjusted availability for Aug dates?

Things are very fluid at the moment, I wouldn't read anything into FP+ availability.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
There's one problem with the way you're (not just you, either...it's part of the inherent problems involved with the virus) presenting this - it isn't as cut-and-dry as "death or survival"...and I think there needs to be further studies conducted among those who have had COVID-19 and survived, those who didn't get sick enough to be admitted to a hospital, and those who simply stayed home so that we're able to have a better grasp on the range and prevalence of the various symptoms, how many will experience long-term effects, etc. etc. Until we know all that information, we can't possibly expect to make smart choices. And for the love of God...more testing.
We won't be able to make smart choices until all the data you referred to is collected?

The only common denominator I see with all the data, is that we continue to learn this virus is less lethal than originally projected. The CDC just announced (again) that the mortality rate is lower than they originally thought.

Screenshot_20200527-093743.png

When will we be able to make smart choices? When the mortality rate is 0.0%? Until a vaccine is created? Until everybody is tested? Which wouldn't really matter anyway. If we tested every single person on Earth today and got the results back right away, what about a week from now? A month from now? The same people tested could contract the virus AFTER they were tested. Should we just continue to test every person forever?

The easiest (and smart) choice to make, is to simply stop living in fear and use common sense.

DisneyDebRob

We won't be able to make smart choices until all the data you referred to is collected?

The only common denominator I see with all the data, is that we continue to learn this virus is less lethal than originally projected. The CDC just announced (again) that the mortality rate is lower than they originally thought.

View attachment 473099

When will we be able to make smart choices? When the mortality rate is 0.0%? Until a vaccine is created? Until everybody is tested? Which wouldn't really matter anyway. If we tested every single person on Earth today and got the results back right away, what about a week from now? A month from now? The same people tested could contract the virus AFTER they were tested. Should we just continue to test every person forever?

The easiest (and smart) choice to make, is to simply stop living in fear and use common sense.
You again? Lol
I just love the “ living in fear “ comment that’s always thrown around. It’s used almost on every page of this thread. Especially when it comes to wearing masks or social distancing is concerned. If we wear a seatbelt, are we living in fear? If you put sunscreen on, are you living in fear? If you wear a bike helmet, are you living in fear? Smart living is not living in fear. Let’s stop with the living in fear scenario.
As for opening, let’s do it. Safely, with guidelines in place, not like some of the videos and pictures we’ve seen lately. Many are doing it right, many are not because they” don’t want to live in fear”. I just don’t want to be back here, rehashing why everything is closing again because there are people that don’t care and we get another wave.
I remember the posts when there was only 5,000 dead. It’s nothing, let’s open. Then it was 25,000 dead, heard the same thing. Then 50,000.. then the, well it’s not a quarter million like predicted so let’s open. Now we are pushing 100,000. Are we just good with that amount dying to be able to go out and eat or are we just in a state of it doesn’t matter how many die, I want to go out and eat at a restaurant. Either choice I don’t like.

Chip Chipperson

There's one problem with the way you're (not just you, either...it's part of the inherent problems involved with the virus) presenting this - it isn't as cut-and-dry as "death or survival"...and I think there needs to be further studies conducted among those who have had COVID-19 and survived, those who didn't get sick enough to be admitted to a hospital, and those who simply stayed home so that we're able to have a better grasp on the range and prevalence of the various symptoms, how many will experience long-term effects, etc. etc. Until we know all that information, we can't possibly expect to make smart choices. And for the love of God...more testing.

I agree. It's frustrating to see people act like this is no big deal because they think they won't die from it because they're not 70 or in one of the other high risk categories. When patients are seeing damage to their internal organs that may not be reversible then there's a real need to know more about the likelihood of patients having that damage and the potential long-term impact of that damage on their health.

I like the idea of retail stores being able to open for curbside pickup so businesses can start operating while social distancing, but theme parks are a completely different beast even at reduced capacity.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You cannot completely prevent all upticks. You cannot completely count on everyone using common sense and following the reopening rules. Once you accept those two things, it is easier to move forward and plan for each.
I agree with this. Any attempt at a slow and steady or a reasoned approach based on facts or science is out the door. It’s an avalanche at this point and it will either work out or not. There’s nothing anyone can do to stop it and once people see large groups not following rules the masses will follow. It’s easier to just accept and embrace this.

DisneyDebRob

You already have made clear you want people to stay home indefinitely. This is an unreasonable position to hold.

If someone wants reopenings to continue in a safe manner, the two points I mentioned must be accepted. There is no way to 100% avoid either. And we deal with each accordingly.
You obviously do not read posts clearly then.
As for opening, let’s do it. Safely, with guidelines in place, not like some of the videos and pictures we’ve seen lately.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I agree with this. Any attempt at a slow and steady or a reasoned approach based on facts or science is out the door. It’s an avalanche at this point and it will either work out or not. There’s nothing anyone can do to stop it and once people see large groups not following rules the masses will follow. It’s easier to just accept and embrace this.

there is still the ability to do targeted testing when outbreaks appear. In fact, this is a pretty important component in my opinion.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
As for opening, let’s do it. Safely, with guidelines in place, not like some of the videos and pictures we’ve seen lately.
You're missing the point. There's no such thing as "safely, with guidelines in place, not like some of the videos and pictures we've seen lately." Many (most? all?) of the videos and pictures we've seen lately are in places WITH those guidelines in place. People don't care.

Miss Bella

You again? Lol
I just love the “ living in fear “ comment that’s always thrown around. It’s used almost on every page of this thread. Especially when it comes to wearing masks or social distancing is concerned. If we wear a seatbelt, are we living in fear? If you put sunscreen on, are you living in fear? If you wear a bike helmet, are you living in fear? Smart living is not living in fear. Let’s stop with the living in fear scenario.
As for opening, let’s do it. Safely, with guidelines in place, not like some of the videos and pictures we’ve seen lately. Many are doing it right, many are not because they” don’t want to live in fear”. I just don’t want to be back here, rehashing why everything is closing again because there are people that don’t care and we get another wave.
I remember the posts when there was only 5,000 dead. It’s nothing, let’s open. Then it was 25,000 dead, heard the same thing. Then 50,000.. then the, well it’s not a quarter million like predicted so let’s open. Now we are pushing 100,000. Are we just good with that amount dying to be able to go out and eat or are we just in a state of it doesn’t matter how many die, I want to go out and eat at a restaurant. Either choice I don’t like.
I remember the posts when there was only 5k dead. "We are going to run out of beds and ventilators" "hospitals will be over run" "people will be dying in the street". None of that happened. Instead, hospitals sat half empty, healthcare workers were laid off, people that needed medical care didn't come to the hospital.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
there is still the ability to do targeted testing when outbreaks appear. In fact, this is a pretty important component in my opinion.
What outbreaks? In large parts of the country we are still seeing thousands of cases a day. You can’t target an outbreak when its that spread out. It is what it is. We have some testing setup. If things get worse we won’t know for a while anyway since reporting has been pulled way back. Enjoy the summer and wish for the best.

DisneyDebRob

You're missing the point. There's no such thing as "safely, with guidelines in place, not like some of the videos and pictures we've seen lately." Many (most? all?) of the videos and pictures we've seen lately are in places WITH those guidelines in place. People don't care.
I have. You have not accepted point two that I wrote, which is you cannot count on everyone to follow the rules and use common sense.
We agree. There will always be the hero’s out there not caring which hurts us all in the long run.

DisneyDebRob

I remember the posts when there was only 5k dead. "We are going to run out of beds and ventilators" "hospitals will be over run" "people will be dying in the street". None of that happened. Instead, hospitals sat half empty, healthcare workers were laid off, people that needed medical care didn't come to the hospital.
See how social distancing helped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom