Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Bella

Do you work around thousands of tourists from all over...every day?
No but I work in a hospital and I take care of Covid patients. I didnt get to work from home or not work at all for 8 weeks getting paid.

Wash your hands, wear you mask if you must, excercise, eat right, get vitamin D, and 8 hours of sleep at night. Do what you can to mitigate the risks and chances are you’ll be part of the 99.99% that will survive this.

ImperfectPixie

Like most things surrounding this virus, it turned out to be nothing more than fear mongering.
I don't think it's fear mongering because there have been cases in which children have ended up with Kawasaki disease and young adults have had strokes and clots. The question is how many...and we don't have access to the data (which I really think we should).

brianstl

12D7C811-89AC-40C5-ABB8-2D99AE573C1B.gif

Communicora

Premium Member
Yeah, this doesn’t jive. Emergency stroke treatments are down 60%.

It was an interesting fear tactic, but turned out to be bunk I guess.
Here's a new article about it from AP

A snippet

Some hospitals have found 40% of deaths in COVID-19 patients are from blood clots. Spyropoulos said that's been true at his 23-hospital system in the New York City area, Northwell Health, which has treated over 11,000 COVID-19 patients.

Patcheslee

Like most things surrounding this virus, there's people over reacting and under reacting. Not many enough riding in the middle.

Yes there's a virus. Yes it's serious. No it's not the end of the world.
Without getting too far into the rabbit hole, with younger people experiencing clots, could it be due to inactivity just like long periods in an airplane?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I don't think it's fear mongering because there have been cases in which children have ended up with Kawasaki disease and young adults have had strokes and clots. The question is how many...and we don't have access to the data (which I really think we should).

If the number of cases were staggering, we would know. It would be in our faces. Everyone would be shouting it from the rooftops. From Fauci to every ER doctor.

I’m really annoyed that this is now being used by some as a justification to slow or stop reopenings. Especially when there is real data available that could give some leaders reason to pause or rethink the approach in certain areas of the country.

Jwink

The union and Disney created a win for the workers. If they contact covid and hopefully no one does they will be paid while recovering.
Will they get paid if they're dead? I'm seriously not being a witch....I'm asking a genuine question. And what about if one of my children die because daddy brings it home? If we were taken care of by our representatives and government (like England or Canada) then we could stay home longer until there is more knowledge, tests, and until we have a sure plan (not just sure let's open and see what happens) and could stay home and be safe.

Jwink

Then what was your point? To use this extremely small number of cases as justification to halt reopenings?

No, sorry, 5 isn’t enough to question reopening. Playing soccer with my 7 year older is riskier for her.
So if your daughter contracted this virus and had serious complications or worse, you'd tally her up as a statistic or would you want answers on to why we all weren't better protected? Is it only an issue if it's someone you know?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
So if your daughter contracted this virus and had serious complications or worse, you'd tally her up as a statistic or would you want answers on to why we all weren't better protected? Is it only an issue if it's someone you know?

i wouldn’t wish this on anyone or any child. But there is something called risk assessment. I keep being told to look at the data and believe in science (whatever that means). Well, I am. And the risk approaches zero. There are hundreds of things that is riskier for my children. Driving them to their doctors appointment today for the yearly exam was riskier.

Jwink

No but I work in a hospital and I take care of Covid patients. I didnt get to work from home or not work at all for 8 weeks getting paid.

Wash your hands, wear you mask if you must, excercise, eat right, get vitamin D, and 8 hours of sleep at night. Do what you can to mitigate the risks and chances are you’ll be part of the 99.99% that will survive this.
Really? My friend is a NYC nurse and she says different than you. Working from home is not fun. I'm not sure who sat around getting paid for 8 weeks but my husband got paid for a month... ? And he still went in for the first week...so....

I can't get 8 hours of sleep because I work from home and have an infant and we can't afford amazing food right now due to being out of work...but I'll go ahead and give the other stuff you suggested a try.

I will also listen to my friend on the front lines. She says 'social distance, wear a mask, don't go around others who aren't wearing a mask because this thing is scary and deadly'. I'm going to listen to her.

robhedin

I'd be devastated, of course, who wouldn't?

But, at the same time, if she were literally the only child (or even one of the very few), why would I blame society for it? At the end of the day, it's a risk to cross the street. If she got hit by a car, I'd also be devastated. But I still wouldn't blame society for it.

Miss Bella

Really? My friend is a NYC nurse and she says different than you. Working from home is not fun. I'm not sure who sat around getting paid for 8 weeks but my husband got paid for a month... ? And he still went in for the first week...so....

I can't get 8 hours of sleep because I work from home and have an infant and we can't afford amazing food right now due to being out of work...but I'll go ahead and give the other stuff you suggested a try.

I will also listen to my friend on the front lines. She says 'social distance, wear a mask, don't go around others who aren't wearing a mask because this thing is scary and deadly'. I'm going to listen to her.
This may come as a shock to you but not all healthcare workers think alike. We are just as diverse as these boards.

ImperfectPixie

If the number of cases were staggering, we would know. It would be in our faces. Everyone would be shouting it from the rooftops. From Fauci to every ER doctor.

I’m really annoyed that this is now being used by some as a justification to slow or stop reopenings. Especially when there is real data available that could give some leaders reason to pause or rethink the approach in certain areas of the country.
I'm not saying to do either of those things at all...and I keep citing data and science...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The fact that you're not allowed to know, is all you need to know. And FWIW, have we not learned that the "data" has changed or been incorrect more times than a baby poops it's diaper.

lisa12000

Will they get paid if they're dead? I'm seriously not being a witch....I'm asking a genuine question. And what about if one of my children die because daddy brings it home? If we were taken care of by our representatives and government (like England or Canada) then we could stay home longer until there is more knowledge, tests, and until we have a sure plan (not just sure let's open and see what happens) and could stay home and be safe.

Jwink - Please dont even quote the UK we are a bloody nightmare! Our media are 24/7 doom mongers, our population is almost exclusively paralysed with fear, with my sister saying that she will never feel safe sending her daughter back to school again = she's going to home school her. The furlough system is fine but (im sorry if this sounds harsh) it has meant that a large proportion of the workforce DO NOT want to go back to work - why would they? Our teaching unions have become militant about kids going back to school and are talking of general strikes.

We are opening up all retail on June 15th, our schools on the 1st for some years but we still can only meet one other family member outside at 2m distance - not even in the garden! We have increasing reports of cancer deaths/disease due to us completely stopping screening, and stopping many treatments. The suicide rates of the elderly have gone up sevenfold due to the isolation.

all in the backdrop of our unelected advisor to Boris swanning 260 miles up to his parents for childcare reasons, whilst calling in at a beauty spot for a quick test drive on their way home - and our PM backs him to the hilt and sticks his finger up at us - then calls us out for going to the beaches and parks in hot weather and says that people are flouting the rules.....

I know neither country has come off Wonderfully in this but if I could come on a plane now to the US and stop I would do!

(sorry for the rant)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom