Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyGigi

At this point, as crowded as the home improvement stores have been, I don’t see why they can’t open. In all of our surrounding counties, granted, we are mostly rural. Asheville is the biggest city, but there are less than 500 cases in so many surrounding counties. At first, I was scared to death and now maybe I am being complacent, but you can’t sit at home forever and not do anything. That is not living. When they open, and it isn’t restricted to hardly anything available, I am there with bells on. Were any cases that amounted to anything attributed to that final night at Disney? Not saying open it all up immediately, but we can’t stay home forever.

Mods, please forgive if I am breaking any rules of this thread, that have been updated Along the way- but I did not have the time to read through all the pages posted since I last posted/read.

Delete or scold me if need be.

robhedin

Here's the agenda for tomorrow's meeting.

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 5.05.47 PM.png

Jwink

At this point, as crowded as the home improvement stores have been, I don’t see why they can’t open. In all of our surrounding counties, granted, we are mostly rural. Asheville is the biggest city, but there are less than 500 cases in so many surrounding counties. At first, I was scared to death and now maybe I am being complacent, but you can’t sit at home forever and not do anything. That is not living. When they open, and it isn’t restricted to hardly anything available, I am there with bells on. Were any cases that amounted to anything attributed to that final night at Disney? Not saying open it all up immediately, but we can’t stay home forever.

Mods, please forgive if I am breaking any rules of this thread, that have been updated Along the way- but I did not have the time to read through all the pages posted since I last posted/read.

Right, but here, in Orlando/surrounding areas, we are seeing 600-spikes of 1200 PER DAY still. Open other states, for Florida it is way too soon.

JoeCamel

You don't have to do nothing. Wear a mask when you interact with those who have to be in their jobs and when you are 10 feet or less from others you don't need to. Hard?

disneygeek90

I'm not really understanding this comparison. Asheville NC population (if that's the correct Asheville): 92,000
Orlando FL population: 285,000

Not to mention the fact that when WDW reopens there will be many traveling in from out of state, potentially spreading even more to the Central Florida area. I live here and knowing that millions could be coming back and spreading even more to my immediate stores and city is a little concerning. Disney Springs has felt amazing because it is quiet and mostly filled with locals that traveled very limited distance to arrive. I recognize that won't be the case when the parks open.

DisneyGigi

Right, but here, in Orlando/surrounding areas, we are seeing 600-spikes of 1200 PER DAY still. Open other states, for Florida it is way too soon.
We are all most likely going to be exposed, unless we stay home forever. My thing is what happens to the people like me that stayed home since March 2? Until last week? No exposure. Anyway, I understand your point totally- but the people who didn’t go out at all, how long can that happen? The more they test, the more cases, there will be. I refuse to keep washing down my groceries. Life has to go back to a shot of normal. Choose to go, or stay home, nobody is making you go anywhere.

Jwink

I'm not really understanding this comparison. Asheville NC population (if that's the correct Asheville): 92,000
Orlando FL population: 285,000

Not to mention the fact that when WDW reopens there will be many traveling in from out of state, potentially spreading even more to the Central Florida area. I live here and knowing that millions could be coming back and spreading even more to my immediate stores and city is a little concerning. Disney Springs has felt amazing because it is quiet and mostly filled with locals that traveled very limited distance to arrive. I recognize that won't be the case when the parks open.
I feel like heavily affected people will be cast members (and ambassadors what have you) etc. It will spread to them then the implosion here in Central Florida. Then whoever picks up the virus here takes it home to their city...and we are back where we started. Certain members of government have said that if there is a huge second spike that they will refuse to shut down the country again...I'm like...uhmmmmm ok? LOL This is not the flu. It is not a cold. It is killing young adults and children now.

disneygeek90

I feel like heavily affected people will be cast members (and ambassadors what have you) etc. It will spread to them then the implosion here in Central Florida. Then whoever picks up the virus here takes it home to their city...and we are back where we started. Certain members of government have said that if there is a huge second spike that they will refuse to shut down the country again...I'm like...uhmmmmm ok? LOL This is not the flu. It is not a cold. It is killing young adults and children now.
It's not a far leap at all. There are many Universal and WDW cast members that live in my condo complex. It wasn't odd for me to see someone in their cast member uniform walking around my local Publix after work. Keeping the team members safe has got to be the number one priority or else Orange County's so far reasonable numbers can get out of hand fairly quickly.

Jwink

We are all most likely going to be exposed, unless we stay home forever. My thing is what happens to the people like me that stayed home since March 2? Until last week? No exposure. Anyway, I understand your point totally- but the people who didn’t go out at all, how long can that happen? The more they test, the more cases, there will be. I refuse to keep washing down my groceries. Life has to go back to a shot of normal. Choose to go, or stay home, nobody is making you go anywhere.
again- yes people are making people go somewhere. Back to work. My husband has to go back to work when Disney opens. He doesn't have a choice. Then he's faced with the people who 'refuse to wash down their groceries' anymore and it makes it that much worse.

We have been home for 2 months. We go do curbside pick up for some groceries and delivery for the rest. We have 2 kids. He is terrified of bringing it home to us. My best friend is working as a nurse in NYC and she is seeing the 25-50 range stroke out. Also getting something called micro clots? Those cause lost appendages. The children they are seeing present with blood vessel inflammation which is the same reaction causing the strokes in young adults. There was a bit of good news from her yesterday. They only had to have one refrigerated body truck parked waiting outside instead of the normal 3. {sarcasm}

Jwink

How many in Florida below age 18?
Not many thank goodness. That wasn't point. However, we don't know what the lasting damage is to their blood vessels, hearts, etc. I think 5 have died in NYC and another 80 something with that inflammation thing. Isn't 5 enough to question reopening things too fast and too soon?

Kevin_W

Not many thank goodness. That wasn't point. However, we don't know what the lasting damage is to their blood vessels, hearts, etc. I think 5 have died in NYC and another 80 something with that inflammation thing. Isn't 5 enough to question reopening things too fast and too soon?

I believe that was your point.

I don't know Florida's stats, but in Ohio there have been 2002 counted deaths from Covid. 0 in ages 0-19.

To the original question "does anyone think we're opening too soon?". Of course people do. And people also think we're opening too slow. And some people would complain either way because they like to complain. We luckily live in a free society where we can debate these things.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Then what was your point? To use this extremely small number of cases as justification to halt reopenings?

No, sorry, 5 isn’t enough to question reopening. Playing soccer with my 7 year older is riskier for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom