Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epcotbob

And if you catch it and pass on the virus to a bunch of people more vulnerable than yourself? Tough breaks for them, I guess?

Even with the re-opening, they are recommending that people who are vulnerable to stay away and remain in quarantine till a later date. It's pretty much understood that if you venture out during the early phases of the re-opening, you are essentially agreeing to that risk.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Not gonna get a million posts deleted. If you want to defend the CDC and our state and federal governments for their actions, be my guest.

Kingoglow

Hmm. Well she seems to be talking about going to an open theme park with safety protocols in place rather than defying government orders. So I don’t think we should make anyone feel guilty for doing so.

Kind of like all of the irreverent kids that were spreading COVID-19 during their precious spring break trip.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Of all the WDW parks, I think EPCOT would provide the worst experience. The park already has a lack of rides. Limited rides and social distancing would make Soarin and TT virtually impossible to get on. And the Showcase would likely have limited/no shows to avoid having crowds standing around and watching. KidCot would not happen. And then there is all the construction. So many of Disney’s rides have winding lines. Curious to see how they change their queues. Can every ride be programmed for virtual queues? Will people just stand around until their phone beeps for a ride!
Soarin and Frozen are capacity problems with social distancing. TT is pretty easy. They just ignore the virtual queue car design aspect. That wasn’t there when the ride opened anyway. One party per car and no single riders or mixing. It would reduce the capacity but not as much as some other rides. Not sure is SSE is going to have the refurb postponed. That would be an easy ride to social distance on. Same with Seas and Figment. MS would be fine. Post ride interactive areas would be shut down. WS would have capacity limits in stores and restaurants. It’s a big park so even with construction plenty of room to spread out. Training new CMs for WS would be the biggest delay in opening. But it’s mostly food and retail jobs so pretty interchangeable.

brianstl

If they are getting unemployment, they are making more than Disney pays them by far. That’s a big problem everywhere. When free money is equal to $50k a year, nobody rushes to a job like a Disney CM.
If you are recalled from furlough and don't go back to work, you stop getting unemployment. So you better run back to that Disney job or you won't be getting any money.

LukeS7

Those awful kids. I forget, can you link me the study that shows spring break had a meaningful impact on community spread of Covid-19? Or even like, not a study, but any evidence, even tenuous.

Not actual infection rates, but still covers how quickly one gathering could spread it

Rider

Those awful kids. I forget, can you link me the study that shows spring break had a meaningful impact on community spread of Covid-19? Or even like, not a study, but any evidence, even tenuous.

lazyboy97o

Even with the re-opening, they are recommending that people who are vulnerable to stay away and remain in quarantine till a later date. It's pretty much understood that if you venture out during the early phases of the re-opening, you are essentially agreeing to that risk.
We know that doesn’t really work. People in nursing homes are not know for being out and about but they’re still getting sick.

VaderTron

Well since odds are in my favor like the majority of Americans of surviving covid 19 I will take the risk. Honestly if I weren't healthy and I thought I was at risk I wouldn't venture into a theme park or any crowded space with lots of strangers right now.
For the millionth time, it's not about you. It's about who you infect with your cavalier actions. The self-centeredness of people is more clearly discernible than ever before. Their "right" to ride an amusement ride is more important than the people they get sick or kill.

Epcotbob

Yeah, based on all the media hype, I was expecting all kinds of stories about an explosion of Covid-19 cases from all those spring breakers, but once again, nothing. But hey, they got their headline!

Rider

And of course the recent study that just one week more of social distancing (including spring break in that time frame) would have saved 36,000 lives: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/stu...s-restrictions-us-saved-36k/story?id=70808611

brianstl

Same with the antibody tests. Having antibodies doesn’t mean we know what level generally denotes immunity.
But the big thing is with even reduced antibody levels or even if they have completely disappeared, your immune system remembers how to fight the virus. That is why it is believe that Spanish Flu had much higher rates of deaths among young adults than older people. The immune system of older people had been exposed to the Russian Flu 20 years before and had a memory of how to fight a similar deadly influenza strain.

wannabeBelle

For the millionth time, it's not about you. It's about who you infect with your cavalier actions. The self-centeredness of people is more clearly discernible than ever before. Their "right" to ride an amusement ride is more important than the people they get sick or kill.
What cavalier actions?? If the poster decides to go to a theme park, out to dinner, out to shop, etc. and feels safe doing so where is the problem? If another person who may be in a more vulnerable state does the same thing, with or without safeguards they have to know that there is a greater risk for them. Even going to a grocery store for essentials might be a problem which is why stores in my area have a designated shopping time for elderly/ more at risk people early in the morning. My Aunt is having her groceries delivered as she is in a higher risk category. The more at risk person has to take the appropriate precautions for themselves. I dont see how the poster is putting anyone else in danger, unless the others venture out and are willing to accept the same risk. Marie

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
If the theme park is open per the state guidelines, why would you harp on people choosing to go? If you have a problem with the state allowing something to reopen, take it up with the state, not the person choosing to go to a legally open business.

Epcotbob

And of course the recent study that just one week more of social distancing (including spring break in that time frame) would have saved 36,000 lives: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/stu...s-restrictions-us-saved-36k/story?id=70808611

Key words from the article: "A" study "estimated" that 36,000 lives "could have" been saved. Be careful not to confuse "could" with "would", alot of the studies and models coming out have proven to not be worth the paper they were printed on.

Rider

What cavalier actions?? If the poster decides to go to a theme park, out to dinner, out to shop, etc. and feels safe doing so where is the problem? If another person who may be in a more vulnerable state does the same thing, with or without safeguards they have to know that there is a greater risk for them. Even going to a grocery store for essentials might be a problem which is why stores in my area have a designated shopping time for elderly/ more at risk people early in the morning. My Aunt is having her groceries delivered as she is in a higher risk category. The more at risk person has to take the appropriate precautions for themselves. I dont see how the poster is putting anyone else in danger, unless the others venture out and are willing to accept the same risk. Marie

That's not how viruses work. You don't just put yourself at risk when going to Disney World. Maybe you catch it. Maybe it's not so bad so you don't get tested. You go home and spread the virus to your family and friends. You go back to work and spread it to coworkers and customers. You go to the store and spread it to strangers. Then all those other people do the same thing. That's how the virus works and it's how the number of cases, hospitalizations, and deaths rises exponentially. It's how a second wave will start because nothing has changed since March but everyone thinks it had and is starting to let down their guard.

brianstl

If you are practicing proper social distancing and following the other guidelines you shouldn't have to worry about the cavalier attitudes of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom