Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrojanUSC

You, because when they do open, all restaurants will open at full capacity, and there is just no way Disney can get a lot ofd Dining reservations fast

Hotels are a whole other beast from theme parks. I do believe the hotel industry will continue to suffer. Thy will need a lot more staff for more thorough cleaning, which is fine by me.

What? You do realize they can only operate at 50% capacity of indoor dining due to Florida laws, right?

Miss Bella

I was thinking that would be the biggest hurdle too, but if you go to this post from the other thread and read a few down it sounds like Martin is hearing it won’t be delayed opening.
I could see it happening by August, but probably not June. There are still bans on international travel. When I realized our European cruise wasn't going to happen I was going to plan a land trip, but with all the travel bans still in place it was just too stressful to plan.

I used my miles I was going to use for Europe and booked flights to Japan in April. In a normal year I would have had enough miles for maybe one round trip coach seat. Due to COVID I was able to get 2 roundtrip business class seats and I still have 90k miles left over. There should be some great deals in 2021 for those of us that have jobs.

sedati

Numbers are bogus because we don't know infection rates because we haven't had systematic randomized testing.
We did in a limited sense. Around a major city coming down from a surge, it was found that about 1 in 10 showed signs that they had encountered the virus.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Does Disney have to rehire a lot of people to open or just un-furlough the existing workers?

I'm really interested in what will happen at Epcot and the World Showcase if it opens in June

TrojanUSC

Does Disney have to rehire a lot of people to open or just un-furlough the existing workers?

I'm really interested in what will happen at Epcot and the World Showcase if it opens in June

They just recall the workers from furlough. Nobody has to be rehired, except the college program people and the Epcot cultural reps.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We did in a limited sense. Around a major city coming down from a surge, it was found that about 1 in 10 showed signs that they had encountered the virus.

Yes, indeed. As I stated: "Only a few jurisdictions are doing that."

Germany is another jurisdiction doing such a rigorous survey.

Giss Neric

You, because when they do open, all restaurants will open at full capacity, and there is just no way Disney can get a lot ofd Dining reservations fast

Hotels are a whole other beast from theme parks. I do believe the hotel industry will continue to suffer. Thy will need a lot more staff for more thorough cleaning, which is fine by me.
Yeah, good luck to Las Vegas.

Giss Neric

They just recall the workers from furlough. Nobody has to be rehired, except the college program people and the Epcot cultural reps.
So meaning they have to give them a timeline to return to the states from their own countries. With the way flying is difficult nowadays, that would be hard.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 I don't suppose you have any thoughts you are able to share at this point regarding a Walt Disney World opening, do you?
They have plenty of scenarios ? I know of a ballpark opening window but no fixed date. And everything is fluid. It’s also possible groups of parks will have staggered reopenings. Epcot could open last. Anything is possible - but that is currently not the plan. I often say things can change, it’s never been more so than now.

Last edited:

Giss Neric

They have plenty of scenarios ? I know of a ballpark opening window but no fixed date. And everything is fluid. It’s also possible groups of parks will have staggered reopenings. Epcot could open last. Anything is possible - but that is currently not the plan. I often say things can change, it’s never been more so than now.
Is that ballpark opening window close to Universal's opening?

Indy_UK

I haven't been on these forums for a few months because of the Virus but Ive read some articles about Springs opening and the lovely signs wavering any liability if people get Covid. I accept its up to individuals if they want to take the risk but i think its pretty reckless of Disney just to get the $$$ back in

Stevie Amsterdam

I haven't been on these forums for a few months because of the Virus but Ive read some articles about Springs opening and the lovely signs wavering any liability if people get Covid. I accept its up to individuals if they want to take the risk but i think its pretty reckless of Disney just to get the $$$ back in
Welcome back - hope you're doing well (or at least better)?

zengoth

Universal is proposing to reopen on June 1st and 2nd for only Team Members.

June 3rd and 4th will be invited guests and perhaps APs. Public opening proposed for June 5th.

Training for TMs begin this weekend.

Universal will require guests and TMs to wear masks and will provide guests 1 free if they need one.

TMs 65 and older are encouraged to stay home.

Virtual lines for highly attended attractions.

Eliminating (pausing) single rider lines.

Reduce or eliminate water and mist elements on some attractions

Here is their plan for queue lines -

View attachment 471622

And the Orange County Task Force has approved the plan Universal Orlando is proposing.
and the rivalry continues... At Universal they mark "where to stand"; at Disney they mark "where NOT to stand". I figured Disney thinks negative reinforcement goes a longer way for guest compliance...

Patcheslee

and the rivalry continues... At Universal they mark "where to stand"; at Disney they mark "where NOT to stand". I figured Disney thinks negative reinforcement goes a longer way for guest compliance...
Don't know, you know the buttons marked "do not push"? Kinda peaks curiosity about what happens if someone does.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Numbers are bogus because we don't know infection rates because we haven't had systematic randomized testing.

When only the sick were tested, the rate of positives were understandably high.

When more testing is done... who is the more being tested? More people with symptoms? Then both the absolute number of positives and the rate of infection go up. If the more people being tested are people who wonder if they ever had it and run out to a testing site, then that self-selects for a lot more negatives and the rate of infection goes down.

The only way to know the true rate of infection and the infectiousness of COVID is randomized testing of the general population. Only a few jurisdictions are doing that.

Until that happens, we only have the daily death rate to go by for the best picture of the infections.

Of course, if we do find good drugs that allow critical patients to survive... then even the death rate becomes less reliable.

We need systematic randomized testing of the general population to settle the infection rate mystery box.
You could just use the CDC estimate if you want. Though I’m not sure when people want to listen to them and when they don’t. 🤷‍♂️

D99E0445-36D6-485D-AF43-88AA1DD94709.jpeg

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
CDC backtracks again...shocker. But hey, this is good news, so I'm sure the "we don't know enough about this virus" crowd will simply wait for more "new research" which will tell them to stay inside longer and they should now wear three masks at the same time and all will be right in their world again.

Screenshot_20200521-172035.png

natatomic

Which I think is so funny. Disney purposely trains their CMs to use only positive phrases: “Remain seated until...” vs “don’t stand up until...,” and “The park will remain open until...” vs “The park closes at...” I know there’s other examples, but those are the first two off the top of my head. It’s kind of bizarre to me that they’re getting away from that with these new rules.

Disstevefan1

Which I think is so funny. Disney purposely trains their CMs to use only positive phrases: “Remain seated until...” vs “don’t stand up until...,” and “The park will remain open until...” vs “The park closes at...” I know there’s other examples, but those are the first two off the top of my head. It’s kind of bizarre to me that they’re getting away from that with these new rules.
Various YouTubers are showing in Disney Springs, there are both where to stand and share not to stand, even more confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom