Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They ramped up testing a lot in Texas as well around the same time and looking to do even more. Good news is that hospitalizations are down and deaths are not surging.

Also, do you want to see a dramatic increase in cases? Test everyone and you will see how many are out there. I think based on what we know so far, there are a ton of asymptomatic people walking around. But as I mentioned, the number of cases on their own doesn’t tell the full story.
Good for Texas. :) I was supposed to be in Houston in March and had to cancel due to this whole mess.

In a philosophical scenario you test everyone once a week and then you know exactly how many are infected and whether the infection is spreading or not. That’s not practical or even possible in the real world. If testing is ramped up and you can get to the point where you are testing a statistically relevant random sample you can approximate the total population but again, the total number of cases is less important it’s the increase in cases that matters as long as you hold the sample size constant and it’s random. The only problem with the real life testing is it’s not random. The story can still be skewed based on who is tested and why. That’s why looking at hospitalizations and deaths gives you a better idea of things on the ground.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’m confused AGAIN! I thought that under the governors mandate “lets” weren’t allowed for under 30 days from outside Florida and certain specified states without the Governor’s direct approval on a case by case basis. Has this been rescinded? From U.K. so don’t get all the latest news. My understanding of that is hotels would remain closed and each room as a “separate “ let would have to be approved.
I think that was just private homes and condo rentals (think Airbnb). Never applied to hotel rooms. I also think parts of FL opened that up too recently.

Miss Bella

I'm curious how much of WDW's actions will be dictated by Disneyland. The risks of both parks are the same - it would look odd to have Florida open but California be closed for months longer.
The way things are going on California Disneyland may be closed for a year.

Miss Bella

I’m confused AGAIN! I thought that under the governors mandate “lets” weren’t allowed for under 30 days from outside Florida and certain specified states without the Governor’s direct approval on a case by case basis. Has this been rescinded? From U.K. so don’t get all the latest news. My understanding of that is hotels would remain closed and each room as a “separate “ let would have to be approved.
What is a “let”?

Bob Harlem

The way things are going on California Disneyland may be closed for a year.

There's chunks of California (counties mainly away from cities) openly defying state orders (and voting to do so at the county level). Tulare is one of them.

Last edited:

Hawg G

I thought they might try to line them up, but in CA it is looking like a real possibility they won’t open until late fall if at all this year. There’s no way WDW lasts that long. Universal is in the same boat with their CA park but the difference is TWDC is based in CA. Of course Comcast is in Philly and we’re still locked down until after Uni opens in Orlando.

Oh, I’m sure you’re right, they’ll be closed all year. You know, just like you and others said WDW would be,

Epcotbob

I'm curious how much of WDW's actions will be dictated by Disneyland. The risks of both parks are the same - it would look odd to have Florida open but California be closed for months longer.

Or visa-versa. I think Disneyland will be open in August.

TrojanUSC

So Orange County can vote and not follow the state guidelines? Wow didn't know that, thanks for informing me!

No, they can't. There's a few counties that have tried to sue or look at legal options, but no cities or counties are operating without Sacramento's permission.

Even Orange County was pressuring Newsom to have a direct meeting with him to make a case why they should reopen now. If they could do it on their own, they would.

Kamikaze

So Orange County can vote and not follow the state guidelines? Wow didn't know that, thanks for informing me!

No, they can't. There's a few counties that have tried to sue or look at legal options, but no cities or counties are operating without Sacramento's permission.

Even Orange County was pressuring Newsom to have a direct meeting with him to make a case why they should reopen now. If they could do it on their own, they would.

Well, yes and no. They can try and see what happens, but it would all depend on the judge that gets the case and its merits.

Kamikaze

I actually think DLR is the safer resort - much higher percentage of locals, and for the most part the parks are more 'chill'. Whereas at WDW you have people from everywhere coming in and out at all times and higher chances of new infections coming from out of the area. Orange County CA doesn't have that many positive tests or deaths (they are mostly in LA County) so saying that its going to be months different is probably not realistic. I'd say they both open within 60 days of each other tops. Remember that from the original CA closure orders, DLR was specifically exempted.

Piebald

cmenbrtosrd41.jpg

This is how I feel. I'll continue to take precautions and do what I can but honestly if someone didnt read or watch news theyd probably think Corona is no more. Other than the theme parks only bars and nightlife around here seems to be shuttered. Everything else is business as usual.

Godspeed folks, hope for the best and prepare for the worst I suppose.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I actually think DLR is the safer resort - much higher percentage of locals, and for the most part the parks are more 'chill'. Whereas at WDW you have people from everywhere coming in and out at all times and higher chances of new infections coming from out of the area. Orange County CA doesn't have that many positive tests or deaths (they are mostly in LA County) so saying that its going to be months different is probably not realistic. I'd say they both open within 60 days of each other tops. Remember that from the original CA closure orders, DLR was specifically exempted.
I think that makes sense. CA is a crazy place so you never know. If WDW opens in July I would say it’s better than 50/50 DLR is open by September.

flynnibus

Premium Member
personally I don't care if someone goes to WDW or USF and gets covid-19... it's going to happen because it's going to happen if people are out and about anyways...

I just don't want the sites to become some super-spread event. If it's a handful of people a week... that's just the probability game IMO. I'm hoping that is how it ends up.

worldfanatic

DLR will likely open in July or August, and they better be ready.
I live in So Cal and almost everybody I know is itching to hit those Parks as soon as they open, even my "non-Disney" friends.

Totally different situation than WDW, which will probably open in fairly mellow fashion.

Hawg G

I think that makes sense. CA is a crazy place so you never know. If WDW opens in July I would say it’s better than 50/50 DLR is open by September.

Dude, give it up, NO WAY does Disney let Universal be open a month before they open. I’d assume folks will get fired for the mass layoffs, and Disney traditions will be burned to the ground to get people hired ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom