Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildstar

The World Health Organization on Monday called for continued vigilance as several areas that have eased lockdown restriction began to see a resurgence in COVID-19 cases—and the United States begins unbuttoning as well.

The Chinese city of Wuhan—where the pandemic began last December—saw its first cluster of cases in at least a month. The city began reopening in early April.

COVID-19 resurges in reopened countries; Wuhan sees first cluster in a month
China ordered all Wuhan residents get tested for COVID-19—that’s ~11 million people.
by Beth Mole -
GettyImages-1224267940-800x533.jpg

WUHAN, CHINA - MAY 11: Residents wears face masks while riding their bicycles and scooters. The government has begun lifting outbound travel restrictions after almost 11 weeks of lockdown to stem the spread of COVID-19.

The World Health Organization on Monday called for continued vigilance as several areas that have eased lockdown restriction began to see a resurgence in COVID-19 cases—and the United States begins unbuttoning as well.
The Chinese city of Wuhan—where the pandemic began last December—saw its first cluster of cases in at least a month. The city began reopening in early April.

The cluster was just six cases: an 89-year-old symptomatic man and five asymptomatic cases. All of the infected lived in the same residential community. However, it was enough to spook government officials.
NPR’s Emily Feng reported from Beijing that “the rise of such hard-to-detect asymptomatic cases has alarmed public health authorities in China, who have ramped up contact tracing and testing efforts.”
China state media announced Tuesday that it has ordered all residents of Wuhan—roughly 11 million persons—to be tested within the next 10 days.
Likewise, the mayor of Seoul shut down bars and restaurants over the weekend—just days after South Korea had eased restrictions and allowed businesses to reopen—due to a spike of 86 new COVID-19 cases. Authorities identified a 29-year-old who visited five nightclubs and a bar while infected with the virus, sparking an outbreak of at least 54 cases, according to NPR. The uptick also led South Korean officials to delay the reopening of schools.
Germany, too, saw increases in cases after restrictions eased last week.
“Releasing lockdowns is both complex and difficult,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who goes by Dr. Tedros, said Monday. What’s happening in these places are “signs of the challenges that may lie ahead.”
Fortunately, all three countries have systems in place to detect and respond to a resurgence in cases,” he added.

Though many areas of the US are beginning to reopen, it is unclear if the country has those systems in place to handle resurgence. In a Senate hearing earlier Tuesday, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the country’s leading infectious disease expert and director of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told Congress that resurgence “absolutely will occur” after we reopen.

“If you do not do an adequate response, we will have the deleterious consequence of more infections and more deaths,” he said.

Wildstar

The cluster was just six cases: an 89-year-old symptomatic man and five asymptomatic cases. All of the infected lived in the same residential community. However, it was enough to spook government officials.

NPR’s Emily Feng reported from Beijing that “the rise of such hard-to-detect asymptomatic cases has alarmed public health authorities in China, who have ramped up contact tracing and testing efforts.”

China state media announced Tuesday that it has ordered all residents of Wuhan—roughly 11 million persons—to be tested within the next 10 days.

Likewise, the mayor of Seoul shut down bars and restaurants over the weekend—just days after South Korea had eased restrictions and allowed businesses to reopen—due to a spike of 86 new COVID-19 cases. Authorities identified a 29-year-old who visited five nightclubs and a bar while infected with the virus, sparking an outbreak of at least 54 cases, according to NPR. The uptick also led South Korean officials to delay the reopening of schools.

Germany, too, saw increases in cases after restrictions eased last week.

“Releasing lockdowns is both complex and difficult,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who goes by Dr. Tedros, said Monday. What’s happening in these places are “signs of the challenges that may lie ahead.”

Chip Chipperson

Rapunzel’s bathrooms are far from safe. An interesting read on rethinking public toilets...

Toilets without lids have always disgusted me specifically because of the germs shooting into the air when they're flushed. Unfortunately, I don't think adding lids to public toilets now would change much because people tend to be their laziest, most disgusting animal selves when using a bathroom away from home. I've seen things in my offices at work that turned my stomach - and I've seen much worse in bathrooms in public places. Expecting those same gross people to suddenly close the lid before flushing is - sadly - too optimistic. At least adding high walls to the stalls would reduce the spread of the germs launched into the air. That's one of the things I like about the Borgata in Atlantic City - nice high walls and full-sized doors for maximum privacy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Interesting... I wonder how long those requirements would last.
My guess is not very long. It depends on how fast they ramp up park attendance limits. For Shanghai they started very low but said they would like to ramp up 5,000 people per week. Based on that pace the extreme capacity limits would probably only be in place for a few weeks or a month. Once the capacity is high enough to allow all resort guests in then they will probably open to APs and other guests. This is all just my speculation based off of an substantiated rumor so take it for what it’s worth :)

Jrb1979

IMO the social distancing measures and reservations to get in the parks should stay til there is a treatment or vaccine. The virus is disappearing so we have to learn to live with it.

Polynesia

Did you have the flu?
I had been sick mid January with high fever, cough and nausea. Went to the ER after about four days of this and was tested for the seasonal flu. Came back negative. Ten days later I went back to the ER for shortness of breath. I had pneumonia and a significant pulmonary embolism. At that time I tested positive for the seasonal flu. Sickest I’ve ever been. I couldn’t stop coughing and was contagious. That’s why I asked about the mask

Disney Analyst

No from my contacts in China there very nervous I have multiple families around the world. I can speak Chinese so I'm aware of what happening.

Do you think the government would do that? Them opening Shanghai Disney was a clear signal of power and prosperity during the crisis, if they closed it again wouldn't that diminish what they are trying to say and show the world? Would they be willing to admit that defeat?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
No from my contacts in China there very nervous I have multiple families around the world. I can speak Chinese so I'm aware of what happening.

Pshaw, you mean that the Chinese citizen can't really trust the official statements of their government spokespeople as being truthful ?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
From this post. The gist of the rumor is WDW would require reservations each day after the parks open and that AP holders would not be admitted with their APs but would be offered the opportunity to buy a 1 day ticket at a discount.

Well, if I can't use my AP when they re-open, they can just keep extending its expiration, then. Not allowing APs but not extending the clock is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Edit: Not to mention a PR nightmare with the exact population of guests they are going to need to rely on, possibly heavily, for a while.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
IMO the social distancing measures and reservations to get in the parks should stay til there is a treatment or vaccine. The virus is disappearing so we have to learn to live with it.

This is nothing new with people choosing their own desires over the impact of any communicable illness they might have upon others... by gosh, they're going to go to Disney no matter what.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well, if I can't use my AP when they re-open, they can just keep extending its expiration, then. Not allowing APs but not extending the clock is a lawsuit waiting to happen.
That’s what the rumor said. They would just extend the expiration until the blackout is lifted. They won’t start the clock without letting in AP holders.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom