Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW862

But we don't know exactly what will happen, yet. Maybe it will, maybe it won't - it is certainly doing a lot of damage short term. But so would thousands of people calling in sick in a short period of time.

Again, we don't know what the end result will be, but we can't remain as we are forever. The question becomes, what is the safest way to get a close to normal as possible? And people are just acting on predictions - which do do always agree.

But those who want to go out without a mask are not evil, nor are those who prefer to stay at home, etc a bit longer saints. We are all sailing through uncharted waters.
Keeping distance when possible and wearing face mask won't destroy the economy, it will save it. Killing 200,000 would do much more damage. (unless you work in the pharmaceutical or funeral industry). I'm saying this as a CM who was denied unemployment and hasn't had a paycheck in almost a month.

Wildstar

similarly, I worry about CMs being told to wear the masks and being reprimanded for pulling it under their noses for 5 seconds by managers who are sitting in their a/c offices all day. I hope the managers are out in the heat all day in solidarity and as extra help enforcing the mask rules on the guests.
Have they got rules in place for Muslim woman with veils cover there faces how does the public feel not being able to see if the legit have a mask on ? Not trying to be racist but legally and morally sound.

Incomudro

The mask requirement is still hypothetical at this point, and the discussion has already gone the way of every other "rules" discussion. For every person who does not want to be told what to do, there is another who is positively gleeful at being able to dictate someone else's behavior. If you agree with something it's common sense, if you disagree it's theater.

It's an understatement to say little is known about this virus, and there are valid disagreements about the efficacy of face masks in preventing its transmission. Disparaging people under these circumstances is pretty heavy-handed. People aren't "babies" because they don't want to wear masks - WDW isn't going to callously adopt a safety requirement that is uncomfortable for people just because "the people making the decision don't have to wear them." I believe government officials and business owners are trying to do their best to balance safety concerns with the need to get businesses up and running. I personally don't believe that masks will do much to spread the transmission of the virus at Disney, for many of the reasons set out earlier in this thread. If masks are required at Disney, I'll wait until the requirement is ended because that's not the experience I want. But I would not be upset that the requirement was adopted because I think the decision would be made in good faith.
Excellent post.

jmp85

Ok...I’ve never really used N95s...

I’ve used p100s and scbas on many occasions...more heavy gear

I had an n95 mask on for about 30 minutes yesterday...holy crap.
In Florida? No way

Anyone saying they’ll “deal with it” will do so without enjoyment...or they’re lying to themselves.

You've got me curious. I live in Florida and I think I'll put on a regular cloth mask (washable) and attempt some light yard work later this afternoon. The high is around 81 today. We'll see how it goes!

themarchhare

Because it's all a placebo

1589303901658.png

Miss Bella

But that’s pointless...

Paper masks that are not fitted are not of use...to be honest.

It’s like the fake grocery store “security scanners” they installed in the late 1980s...empty plastic columns.
Sleep tight, children
The theory is that you won't spread your germs if you cough or sneeze. If I sneeze or cough I immediately throw my mask out and get a clean one. I'm not a fan of inhaling my own boogers.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So there you go, masks don't work for the general public. Stop the insanity!

It's also insane to reply to a post before reading the entirety of the thread. If you did so, you would have seen that that interview with Fauci was from the time when masks were in short supply and the nature of the asymptomatic spread of the disease was not fully known (in other words, how you can spread it without knowing because you don't have symptoms). The change to recommending wearing masks came when they realized how infectious it was and also with the recommendation to have any type of facial covering, not just a surgical mask... and only when you're near others.

On April 15 Dr. Fauci told Vanity Fair that hookups on Tinder were ok if you want to take the risk, but then he also said we will never shake hands again. Cruising was OK until it wasn't. Don't wear masks then wear masks. This guy has been all over the place, but I hear he's up for sexist man alive this year. :eek:

There is no change here. What part of "ok if you want to take the risk" did you not get? No mask + intimate contact = risk of infection.

Not shaking hands = lowering risk of infection.

This is not at all "wear masks, don't wear masks" about face at all. Don't see how you could have gotten to the conclusion.

Isn't it a bit much to Social Distance and wear a mask? You do one or the other just in case someone coughs or sneezes. So why not do one or the other.

Yes, it is. But you're conflated sneezing and coughing with aerosolized infection that comes from breathing and talking.

If COVID can be aerosolized by breathing/talking (and likely, it is, though not definitively proven by scientific standards, but until we know for sure, it's safer to presume it is), then the mask prevents spreading the infection when you're close to others. If you're far from them, you don't need the mask.

Sneezing/coughing is a different creature since sizable droplets, which definitely can be contagious, go much longer distances. Masks aren't to stop the sneezing/coughing spread since mouths should always be covered for any sneeze or cough.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Nope

Well things like this are Disney cms worse nightmare of check marking the rules.
The CDC is recommending cloth face coverings. It’s not an issue.

It is critical to emphasize that maintaining 6-feet social distancing remains important to slowing the spread of the virus. CDC is additionally advising the use of simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others. Cloth face coverings fashioned from household items or made at home from common materials at low cost can be used as an additional, voluntary public health measure.

The cloth face coverings recommended are not surgical masks or N-95 respirators. Those are critical supplies that must continue to be reserved for healthcare workers and other medical first responders, as recommended by current CDC guidance.

jmp85

Epcotfan21

Ok...I’ve never really used N95s...

I’ve used p100s and scbas on many occasions...more heavy gear

I had an n95 mask on for about 30 minutes yesterday...holy crap.
In Florida? No way

Anyone saying they’ll “deal with it” will do so without enjoyment...or they’re lying to themselves.
It would be a nightmare. Plus with the added heat and humidity, people would constantly be touching their faces/adjusting/taking off the mask just to wipe their face and give themselves a bit of relief. Defeats the purpose now, doesn't it?

Wildstar

It would be a nightmare. Plus with the added heat and humidity, people would constantly be touching their faces/adjusting/taking off the mask just to wipe their face and give themselves a bit of relief. Defeats the purpose now, doesn't it?
I have a n95 mask it's not that bad i live in Florida and I lived in California the heat and humidity is nominal.

Attachments

• 15893056049756515090458281660840.jpg
    15893056049756515090458281660840.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 114

ImperfectPixie

Here is a study which examined the effectiveness of cloth and surgical masks.

"In conclusion, both surgical and cotton masks seem to be ineffective in preventing the dissemination of SARS–CoV-2 from the coughs of patients with COVID-19 to the environment and external mask surface."

If someone is already coughing because they're sick with COVID-19, they should be at home in quarantine. The issue is asymptomatic spread through respiratory droplets created while talking and breathing. Any face covering greatly reduces the chances of a pre- or asymptomatic spreader infecting others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom