Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giss Neric

An enclosed space another family was breathing in moments before and it would be safe for another family to jump right in? We can’t even have crowds inside a cavernous theatre or arena... I guess there’s some air flow, but seems risky.
It isn't a gondola but the way they are cleaning the cabins and rotating them/airing them out to dry.

Lilofan

It’s not a major long term change to have servers at a buffet. There’s some construction and rework they would have to do. The big buffets can change but what may not come back are things like hotel breakfasts that are self serve or food offerings in a lounge. Those could be changed too to pre-packaged items or made to order food.
Eating at Hollywood and Vine buffet, riding Tower Of Terror and RNR, wearing a mask, 100 degrees in Orlando with the humidity, then I might swallow my own vomit since the mask will prevent it from hitting the pavement.

Incomudro

Perhaps this sparks us to think.... maybe buffets aren't a good idea? I never gave it much thought, but in hindsight having hundreds of people touching that serving spoon before me is kinda gross. Sure, they touched the same lap bar on 7DMT but I washed my hands between riding that and eating. I don't wash my hands after hitting the buffet line.

I know many people, my wife especially - who skeeve buffet's.

DisneyDebRob

Eating at Hollywood and Vine buffet, riding Tower Of Terror and RNR, wearing a mask, 100 degrees in Orlando with the humidity, then I might swallow my own vomit since the mask will prevent it from hitting the pavement.
Thanks a lot for that visual. My coffee here isn’t as good anymore.

jaklgreen

Perhaps this sparks us to think.... maybe buffets aren't a good idea? I never gave it much thought, but in hindsight having hundreds of people touching that serving spoon before me is kinda gross. Sure, they touched the same lap bar on 7DMT but I washed my hands between riding that and eating. I don't wash my hands after hitting the buffet line.

I think that all restaurants should be like the cruise line and MAKE people wash their hands when they come in. We, as a family, always wash our hands before we eat and are are very healthy lot. Even if we are getting popcorn, we first wash our hands before we eat and then sit and enjoy our popcorn.

TeriofTerror

Fauci says people shouldn't be wearing masks. He adds that it may make people feel safe, but masks aren't providing the protection they think.

It would seem that masks in the parks would offer little more than theater.

I believe that interview was from March 8. Additional data has caused him to reassess his opinion on masks:
"Americans should wear face masks as a way to help stifle the spread of COVID-19, said Dr. Anthony Fauci, one of the nation’s top doctors leading the public health fight against the coronavirus pandemic — a departure from previous government guidance to only wear a mask if you were caring for someone with the illness or had it yourself."

ohioguy

Fauci says people shouldn't be wearing masks. He adds that it may make people feel safe, but masks aren't providing the protection they think.

This is a recommendation from before the CDC did further study. Fauci, as well as others in the medical community, now stress the importance of masks. Recommendations change based on new evidence. Wear your masks, people!

Incomudro

And would be more compromised than in most situations due to the duration they would be worn for, the weather conditions they would be worn in, and the fact that people will be eating and drinking.

Kevin_W

This is a recommendation from before the CDC did further study. Fauci, as well as others in the medical community, now stress the importance of masks. Recommendations change based on new evidence. Wear your masks, people!

We've talked on this thread about masks being a contentious topic. I think we can lay much of the blame at the feet of videos like this one. Numerous studies have shown that people tend to believe/remember the first thing they hear, and the first thing we heard from the health experts was to not wear a mask.

Ohioguy is right that opinions change, data can cause recommendations to change (or perhaps the original recommendations were made with an eye to preserving what was a scare resource at the time and the full rationalization was not made public). but a lot of people will only remember that first recommendation. Or, if they don't like the second one will use the first as (reasonable, IMO) ammunition.

ImperfectPixie

And would be more compromised than in most situations due to the duration they would be worn for, the weather conditions they would be worn in, and the fact that people will be eating and drinking.
Wearing masks is to prevent YOUR germs from infecting other people. They are not very effective at keeping the virus out, but they are very effective at keeping your respiratory droplets IN. If we all assume we are positive for SARS-CoV-2 and we all wear a face covering of some sort, we dramatically reduce the spread rate of the virus.

DisneyDebRob

We've talked on this thread about masks being a contentious topic. I think we can lay much of the blame at the feet of videos like this one. Numerous studies have shown that people tend to believe/remember the first thing they hear, and the first thing we heard from the health experts was to not wear a mask.

Ohioguy is right that opinions change, data can cause recommendations to change (or perhaps the original recommendations were made with an eye to preserving what was a scare resource at the time and the full rationalization was not made public). but a lot of people will only remember that first recommendation. Or, if they don't like the second one will use the first as (reasonable, IMO) ammunition.
Exactly right. The thing with science is that it’s constantly changing as more data is studied. Some believe as you say the first thing they hear.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Does any of this evidence show that people no longer fidget with the mask and touch it constantly thereby contaminating their hands as he mentions in the interview?

GoofGoof

Premium Member

People believe what they want to believe and will look for anything to support that. So if Fauci says wear masks in 25 more recent interviews and there’s one from March where he says not to wear them that’s the truth. I don’t think it has anything to do with the order viewed. It’s the classic echo chamber effect.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Wearing masks is to prevent YOUR germs from infecting other people. They are not very effective at keeping the virus out, but they are very effective at keeping your respiratory droplets IN. If we all assume we are positive for SARS-CoV-2 and we all wear a face covering of some sort, we dramatically reduce the spread rate of the virus.

Would you not expect a medical expert such as Dr Fauci to be completely aware of basic medical knowledge such as droplet prevention (which he mentions in the video)?

Did Fauci go back to school and learn something he didn't know prior to the interview? The science hasn't changed. People have just added the emotional appeal of, "We're all in this together" which is an ideology we should apply to everything, all the time.

DisneyDebRob

People believe what they want to believe and will look for anything to support that. So if Fauci says wear masks in 25 more recent interviews and there’s one from March where he says not to wear them that’s the truth. I don’t think it has anything to do with the order viewed. It’s the classic echo chamber effect.
Speaking of Fauci.. his talk today with senators is about warning of opening to early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom