Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Interesting theory here, if MMR vaccinated people do not contract covid19, they can explain why most America children have not gotten it. I don’t recall when MMR vaccinations were required by US school systems, I think in the 70s. So this can explain the younger/older tendencies of the virus. ???
I personally know about a dozen people in the age range to have had MMR vaccination that tested positive, but none that ended up in the hospital or on ventilators. It may not prevent infection but maybe lessens the severity.

Polynesia

In 2008 when pregnant I have antibodies tests including MMR as part of routine prenatal blood work. Didn't have antibodies for one so I had to the the vaccine again after I gave birth. This is something pretty common to have done. All I can see is the link that less women have had fatal cases of COVID-19.
They tested antibodies when I was pregnant in 1980. I tested positive so didn’t need a shot. I remember having mumps as a child and the dr said I had the measles based on my blood work.

Kevin_W

Interesting theory here, if MMR vaccinated people do not contract covid19, they can explain why most America children have not gotten it. I don’t recall when MMR vaccinations were required by US school systems, I think in the 70s. So this can explain the younger/older tendencies of the virus. ???

That is an interesting theory, though it's mostly based on correlation. Google can't help me find any other studies on a link between Covid and MMR, but some of the statistics pointed out in that article are fascinating. There has to be some reason that Hong Kong's rate is such a statistical outlier.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wonder if Disney has thought about randomly testing a statistically relevant number of CMs periodically (daily, weekly, etc) once the parks open to get a base rate of infection. This would be primarily to determine if there’s an uptick in asymptomatic and total infections among CMs over time (they won’t test guests but CMs could be a good proxy). If the number starts to trend upward they might be able to get ahead of a possible outbreak. It could be a good psychological tool to get guests to feel comfortable if they advertise they are doing this. They could also get ahead of the bad PR from their parks being linked to an outbreak. It is a double edged sword because if there is a significant increase in cases they would then know it so they would need to then decide to potentially shut down again temporarily or ignore it.

MrHappy

Did not but the point of the vaccine is to produce an immune response same as if you had the disease so should provide the same immunity to covid if it really has one?
I'm the furthest thing from a doctor or scientist, so is it possible that the vaccine has other "ingredients" or triggers more immune reaction than a natural immunity would? The 2 articles posted so far suggest that.

Bill in Atlanta

It could be a good psychological tool to get guests to feel comfortable if they advertise they are doing this.
Yep. The more I think about it from Disney's perspective, the more I think they will do as many "precautionary measures" outside the gates as possible. I think they will want to keep the in-park experience as close to normal as possible.

Jrb1979

I don’t think state or local requirements are the primary concern for Disney. They are going to look at the whole country and base requirements on that. When most of the nation is rolling into phase 3 and social distancing is relaxed they will relax requirements. Disney will likely be conservative. They want to appear to be going above and beyond to keep people safe. They have a great reputation for safety to maintain.
Relaxing social distancing doesn't mean that the 6 ft apart is being relaxed. Its how many people can be in a group. Right now it's 5 and by phase 3 it will probably be closer to 50. This virus isn't disappearing by phase 3. Its here for the foreseeable future. Disney may not require masks but physical distancing will be around for awhile in queues.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yep. The more I think about it from Disney's perspective, the more I think they will do as many "precautionary measures" outside the gates as possible. I think they will want to keep the in-park experience as close to normal as possible.
Now that testing is readily available this seems like a no brainer. It‘s not possible to test every CM every day but taking a sample and then if someone is positive also following up and testing the CMs in that same physical area can go a long way towards preventing spread.

montyz81

It changes the Disney experience profoundly........
Of course it will if you go into it with that attitude. It’s all in what you make of it. Are you glad to be out of your house with a mask on or would you rather be at your house in quarantine. I hate the mask, but Walt Disney keeps speaking in the back of my head “There is great comfort and inspiration in the feeling of close human relationships and its bearing on our mutual fortunes - a powerful force, to overcome the ‘tough breaks’ which are certain to come from time to time”

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Relaxing social distancing doesn't mean that the 6 ft apart is being relaxed. Its how many people can be in a group. Right now it's 5 and by phase 3 it will probably be closer to 50. This virus isn't disappearing by phase 3. Its here for the foreseeable future. Disney may not require masks but physical distancing will be around for awhile in queues.
Under the federal guidelines in phase 3 there is no limit on group gatherings (phase 2 goes to 50) and they call for limited physical distancing. I agree that some of the measures will still be in place somewhere like WDW, but you eliminate some of the impractical hoops they would need to jump through to open in phase 2 (like no groups larger than 50) which is problematic for a place like WDW for certain rides, transport and almost any show. Masks would also likely not be required anywhere in phase 3. Disney will likely follow the federal and CDC guidelines vs the state and local rules.

Here’s the exact verbiage:
LARGE VENUES (e.g., sit-down dining, movie theaters, sporting venues, places of worship) can operate under limited physical distancing protocols.

Jrb1979

Under the federal guidelines in phase 3 there is no limit on group gatherings (phase 2 goes to 50) and they call for limited physical distancing. I agree that some of the measures will still be in place somewhere like WDW, but you eliminate some of the impractical hoops they would need to jump through to open in phase 2 (like no groups larger than 50) which is problematic for a place like WDW for certain rides, transport and almost any show. Masks would also likely not be required anywhere in phase 3. Disney will likely follow the federal and CDC guidelines vs the state and local rules.

Here’s the exact verbiage:
LARGE VENUES (e.g., sit-down dining, movie theaters, sporting venues, places of worship) can operate under limited physical distancing protocols.
That's still probably group size. I think the 6 ft rule will be around for awhile.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's still probably group size. I think the 6 ft rule will be around for awhile.
For queues and food lines, yes. I think where it may be relaxed is in larger venues. Can you really stay 6 feet apart at Fantasmic? No, but if the NFL comes back in phase 3 and has fans in the stands at football games then Disney will have a better leg to stand on if they choose to run shows. It’s also possible they just moth ball those types of venues indefinitely.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I've had measles, mumps and covid. Has to be more to the story than antibodies.
Looks like you missed the import one. The R in MMR. From the article:

2) COVID-19 disease burden correlates with rubella antibody titres, potentially induced by SARS-CoV2 homologous sequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom