Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giss Neric

Don't take my word for this as I don't believe it too but one of my friends (well more like acquaintance) who is a long time DVC member and Floridian told me that they were invited for a soft reopening for Magic Kingdom in June.

MaximumEd

I have a question I haven’t been able to find a good answer to. If already answered here, forgive me, it’s hard to keep up. I’m 46 and take blood pressure meds. My pressure without meds is barely in the high range. I’m 5’7” and 155lbs soaking wet. Very active and in great overall health with no other issues. Would this be an increased risk for me? Are they assuming it’s a risk because it mostly manifests itself in older people who don’t do as well with the virus? Maybe it’s the age or some med as opposed to hbp. I would just like an answer as to wether if I should worry more or the same as any other healthy person in my age group? Anyone got any solid info?

dreamfinder912

I have a question I haven’t been able to find a good answer to. If already answered here, forgive me, it’s hard to keep up. I’m 46 and take blood pressure meds. My pressure without meds is barely in the high range. I’m 5’7” and 155lbs soaking wet. Very active and in great overall health with no other issues. Would this be an increased risk for me? Are they assuming it’s a risk because it mostly manifests itself in older people who don’t do as well with the virus? Maybe it’s the age or some med as opposed to hbp. I would just like an answer as to wether if I should worry more or the same as any other healthy person in my age group? Anyone got any solid info?

This is going to sound sarcastic but I promise it isn't....no one one here is your doctor, and that's who you should talk to. I can say a million times "worrying about something will make it worse" but if you're having concerns call your doctor. Their office (should, if they're anyway decent) be able to give you that solid info. They'll reassure you in ways strangers on the internet can't. If you can't reach them, most insurance companies are allowing virtual visits and things like that. :happy:

monykalyn

Do we actually have anywhere that shows us number of people tested per day? The assumption is that the increase in new cases is due to a ramp up in testing, but I’ve also been hearing that for a week or 2 now. At some point the number of people tested has to level off and then new cases becomes more relevant again.

Not perfect but does track testing and %change in cases

Miss Bella

Like the previous poster said. No one on here is your doctor, but even your doctor isn't going to be able to look at you and tell you how your body is going to respond to COVID. I think the poster that stated hypertension is a huge risk factor was way off base and fear-mongering.

My husband tested positive for COVID. He has diabetes and had nothing but a mild cold. He's otherwise a very healthy person. From my experience working with COVID patients, I think you are very low risk of a serious reaction that doesn't mean you won't get it. Keep in mind the vast majority of people that die or get really sick from COVID are over the age of 75 with a lot of health problems. 4800 of the deaths in NYC were nursing home residents.

I'm about the same age weight and height and sex as you and I'm not worried at all.

Miss Bella

Don't take my word for this as I don't believe it too but one of my friends (well more like acquaintance) who is a long time DVC member and Floridian told me that they were invited for a soft reopening for Magic Kingdom in June.
I guess that makes sense. You would think they would have to do some kind of soft opening. It's funny because my reservation starts on July 1.

SoFloMagic

Sure, but mortality is still mostly with older people. Here are Ohio's stats for total # of deaths, which match the national/global figures pretty well:

View attachment 469291
The problem with data like this is that while most people will say "wow, I need to protect my parents and grandparents", some will say "so that means if I'm under 50 I can go to the parks today and don't have to worry about COVID".

In reality, anyone who could potentially interact with anyone who could interact with anyone over 50 should be doing things to minimize spread. And I think that's all of us, which is likely one of many reasons that Disney is being super cautious here. They don't want "kids go to disney world, infect grandparents/cause outbreak in bumble Missouri" headlines.

MaximumEd

This is going to sound sarcastic but I promise it isn't....no one one here is your doctor, and that's who you should talk to. I can say a million times "worrying about something will make it worse" but if you're having concerns call your doctor. Their office (should, if they're anyway decent) be able to give you that solid info. They'll reassure you in ways strangers on the internet can't. If you can't reach them, most insurance companies are allowing virtual visits and things like that. :happy:

I didn’t take it as sarcasm. Of course, you are right and I fully intend to discuss this with my doctor. Was just wondering if there had been any somewhat definitive studies anyone could point me to in the interim. All I’ve seen is “hypertension bad” and I truly believe it’s not that simple like everything else with this virus. Sometimes the best we get so far is “it depends”.

dreamfinder912

I didn’t take it as sarcasm. Of course, you are right and I fully intend to discuss this with my doctor. Was just wondering if there had been any somewhat definitive studies anyone could point me to in the interim. All I’ve seen is “hypertension bad” and I truly believe it’s not that simple like everything else with this virus. Sometimes the best we get so far is “it depends”.

I don't think anyone anywhere has anything definitive because it is both new and evolving. There are already multiple strains...fact is doctors don't know either, but they'll know exactly what your situation is and what typically effects that more/less than people without it. Best of luck and stay safe :)

DisneyDoctor

We don’t know is the honest to God answer. Your doctor should be the only one you seek health advice from, but I suspect she/he wouldn’t have a fantastic answer either.

WDW862

Some people on twitter are claiming this too.

Ill believe it when I see it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The scary thing with this being a new virus is that we just don’t know. That’s why all the talk about the flu and car accidents is really irrelevant. We have plenty of knowledge of those risks. This virus we just don’t know. Look at how many things we “knew” back in the early days of this pandemic that have now been proven wrong. After the fact they will be able to look back at cases and have a better understanding. We are still in the “Earth is flat” phase of our knowledge about this virus. Everything is being based on observation not really true science. It could actually turn out high blood pressure wasn’t really a risk factor. I haven’t seen any studies one way or the other looking at high blood pressure alone in different age groups. If you look at the stats the death rate is very low for our age group overall so that makes me feel a little better, but getting sick is still no picnic. I don’t know if that helped or not. Stay safe :)

DisneyDebRob

Some people on twitter are claiming this too.

Ill believe it when I see it.
I’ll believe that when I see it also. Long time DVC owner here but not in Florida. Have family down there that also is DVC and they haven’t heard anything. Don’t think they would do that for a few dvc’rs. Just imagine the amount of cast they would need for a limited amount of people. Don’t think it’s happening.

Polynesia

I’ll believe that when I see it also. Long time DVC owner here but not in Florida. Have family down there that also is DVC and they haven’t heard anything. Don’t think they would do that for a few dvc’rs. Just imagine the amount of cast they would need for a limited amount of people. Don’t think it’s happening.
If this is true someone needs to put the email they received out there for everyone to see. Word of mouth is not always reliable. Has anyone seen actual proof of this?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If this is true someone needs to put the email they received out there for everyone to see. Word of mouth is not always reliable. Has anyone seen actual proof of this?
agreed. This is in no offense to people who post this kind of stuff here, it’s good information and part of the overall discussion but unless it’s coming from someone like Martin I prefer to see it before I believe it. I don’t know why anyone would bother to make something like that up, but it does happen. I would hope there’s some basis of truth in it, but you never know.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Holy crap. We’re talking about a virus! I saw it started with a c and assumed we were talking about the clap or chlamydia or something. I have to admit the 6 feet of social distancing seemed a little intimidating so to speak.

fngoofy

Do we actually have anywhere that shows us number of people tested per day? The assumption is that the increase in new cases is due to a ramp up in testing, but I’ve also been hearing that for a week or 2 now. At some point the number of people tested has to level off and then new cases becomes more relevant again.
https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/
Cases, deaths, testing, and (if you switch to the log view) the % trend up.
Johns Hopkins is in partnership with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom