Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppete1975

And another thing. Say the resort’s are all full with whoever is booked. They say we are open but when you arrive, because of the 25-50% capacity at the parks, they tell you your days in the park are Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Is that even possible?
id think they would contact you prior to your trip and cancel your booking would be guess, or give you the option to cancel. Now how do you get chosen to get bumped? Id hope it would be based off when you booked and not random or points based in some odd way.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Whether or not the hotels are unlimited, if I have reservations and can't get into the parks -- what's the point? And when do guests find out that they can't go? How will that work? Surely, they're not going have herds line up in the morning a la Galaxy's Edge.
The lowest the capacity limit goes is 50% in phase 1 and there’s a good chance that WDW won’t be open for very long if at all in that phase. If FL jumps to phase 1 this week which seems likely now they may be in phase 2 some time in June. I can’t see 75,000 people showing up at MK any time soon. I would imagine outside of July 4th they won’t come close to capacity.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

Theme parks are limited to 50% in phase 1 and 75% in phase 2. The hotels are unlimited. No Capacity restrictions. Disney already has a plan for phased closures when the park hits capacity (July 4th, NYE). They start with off property visitors by closing he parking lots then eventually everyone. Once a park hits capacity they will divert people to another one.

Dining will be a real challenge. They have the same 50/75 limits in the first 2 phases plus a 6 feet between table requirement. I don’t even know if most places can get to 75% with that spacing. ADRs for popular places will likely have to be cancelled if they are over capacity. I guess in reverse order of when they were made. They also have to address the rework of all those buffets. That May take away even more space.
I can hear it now if people are diverted to another park and their ADR’s are in that park.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
The lowest the capacity limit goes is 50% in phase 1 and there’s a good chance that WDW won’t be open for very long if at all in that phase. If FL jumps to phase 1 this week which seems likely now they may be in phase 2 some time in June. I can’t see 75,000 people showing up at MK any time soon. I would imagine outside of my July 4th they won’t come close to capacity.

God, I wouldn't want them to show up! But it isn't a beach, so we should be safe. ;) I know there are plans in place and a lot of people won't be going during phase 1 or even phase 2 but I just am curious about the process. There's been a lot of focus on restrictions and social distancing and capacity -- but how they're going to do this is just as much of an unknown as anything. All I know is that if I got an email tomorrow that Disney was opening June 1st and my trip was cancelled so that someone else had the opportunity to go, I'd be ed. I'm all for charity in it's place but not in this case.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I can hear it now if people are diverted to another park and their ADR’s are in that park.
I’m sure Disney execs would be doing cart wheels and back flips if that happened regularly. With almost no international guests and tons of people either afraid to go or without the means the last thing Disney is worried about is reaching capacity limits.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
God, I wouldn't want them to show up! But it isn't a beach, so we should be safe. ;) I know there are plans in place and a lot of people won't be going during phase 1 or even phase 2 but I just am curious about the process. There's been a lot of focus on restrictions and social distancing and capacity -- but how they're going to do this is just as much of an unknown as anything. All I know is that if I got an email tomorrow that Disney was opening June 1st and my trip was cancelled so that someone else had the opportunity to go, I'd be ****ed. I'm all for charity in it's place but not in this case.
I’m not following why you would get an e-mail that your trip was cancelled. Unless they decide to not open all of the resorts there’s no reason they would cancel hotel reservations. Even if there was a capacity issue the parks will work just like Christmas week or July 4th. Get there early or face a phased closing. It happens half a dozen days a year at least.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Is this 50% of maximum capacity (e.g. capacity as you might expect it to be on July 4th or Christmas Day) or 50% of attendance on a given day 12 months earlier -- big difference in numbers.
The guidelines say 50% of capacity. I see no reason why they would look at historic attendance. It’s based on how many people it’s acceptable to cram into the park ;)

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I’m not following why you would get an e-mail that your trip was cancelled. Unless they decide to not open all of the resorts there’s no reason they would cancel hotel reservations. Even if there was a capacity issue the parks will work just like Christmas week or July 4th. Get there early or face a phased closing. It happens half a dozen days a year at least.

I suppose I meant that park entrance wasn't guaranteed and dining reservations had been cancelled (for the most part). Not the trip, I wrote that in error.

I think there's a question to ask people intending to visit in the first month or so after reopening. Do you accept that you may not get into a park and may have to forfeit ADRs and FP+? I'm sure more than a few will say it'll just be worth it to get back as attractions and dining are ancillary. But it's a honest question that I have.

MagicRat

The second wave is going to be real sad. When October comes, if Disney is still open and I can’t get my points back, there is going to be an empty BLT lake view one bedroom available for 12 days, maybe I should give it to a homeless person to escape the pandemic for awhile. My Brother is a doctor he will get it of course first, but I doubt he will want it and better chance the hospital won’t let him go.

Calmdownnow

I’m not following why you would get an e-mail that your trip was cancelled. Unless they decide to not open all of the resorts there’s no reason they would cancel hotel reservations.
There is also a guideline about spacing out sun loungers on pool decks to reflect social distancing. Imagine the ultimate whammy -- you can't get into the parks because of 50% capacity limits and you can't enjoy the pool area because there is no capacity on the spaced-out pool deck, and then you can't get into a restaurant...! Oh man, customer service lines would be red-hot at that point.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster

Oops, one other thing. Where will people gather early in the morning after traveling on crowded buses to get there in time? With all that physical distancing, I just don't see how it's feasible.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Oops, one other thing. Where will people gather early in the morning after traveling on crowded buses to get there in time? With all that physical distancing, I just don't see how it's feasible.
I mentioned earlier, of potentially having Boarding Group times for entrance to the park. Not sure how it would work exactly, but they would have to do something to mitigate the earlier morning crowds.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I mentioned earlier, of potentially having Boarding Group times for entrance to the park. Not sure how it would work exactly, but they would have to do something to mitigate the earlier morning crowds.

So, how would one sign up for those boarding groups? Via MDE at a designated time? And when would folks be allowed to enter themselves into the boarding group lottery? I don't know, it just seems so involved with so many variables. I used to think planning a Disney trip in this modern era was "a trip" but this process sounds like it won't be for the faint of heart. I mean, I'm all for hearing about it from those who do jump into the fray on the front lines but my anxiety and pocketbook couldn't take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom