Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

celluloid

Consider the ride vehicles. How many of them could hold more than 1 or two people who are 6 feet apart? I figure, Test Track - one per car. Pirates, Splash Mtn (WDW), IASW - 2 per boat. Most dark rides and coasters - one per car. And the cars are moving. If someone coughs or breathes a cloud of germs, the next car will move into the cloud before it can disperse.

6 feet apart? That is old news. Current studies show 13 feet and the bottoms of feet/shoes.
If six feet was to be taken seriously, than 13 would be the actual suggestion.
And as you said
The six or thirteen feet rule on ride vehicles is pointless because the areosol drift with wind is said to carry a lot longer. Something like a coaster or swift moving ride vhicle like The People Mover, it would just be billowing to the next group.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
10,000 people vs. 60,000 will not keep people safe and will not be worth it to Disney to open. They make their money on food, merchandise and the like, not on people riding rides.
I don’t necessarily disagree. It’s going to be hard to have any form of real social distancing at WDW. That’s probably why the powers to be may possibly choose to not open the parks until the whole country is successfully in phase 3 of the guidelines and a lot of the details discussed won’t be necessary. The famous “bean counters” will ultimately decide if they can make enough money in a limited opening earlier to make it worth doing or if it’s more profitable to just wait until they can ramp up to close to business as usual.

lazyboy97o

Elevators... good point.

Just thinking out loud: Some resort buildings are built with more open staircases than others and should not have an issue (the values, moderates, OKW, SSR, certain floors at other deluxe resorts. Otherwise there will need to be one family group per elevator signs put up. This will be an issue at the Contemporary which has always had elevator issues as it was.
The problem with both elevators and stairs is the commonly used surfaces. On elevators it is the buttons and exterior deluxe stairs it is the door hardware. It seems like it would be easier to just use the ground floor. The Polynesian Village and Grand Floridian have automatic doors on the ground floors so people would not be touching anything to enter.

celluloid

The more I read what people are posting the more I come to the conclusion how logistically hard its going to be for Disney to open soon.

It woud be if they have to worry about everything.
At a certain point it is going to come down to time(which is hard becuase as a society, none of us alive have ever had to do anything like this, and we our a culture/world that loves our entertainment.)
and the other part will be inherent risk. When the time passed comes to the point where we know that medicine treatments are advancing enough and cases have lowered for us to take the risk.
We are only a bit over a month into this out of the three or four it could take.

Even with China's draconian style it has been going since janurary it takes time, and they may have their public school systems open back up next month.

Club Cooloholic

The problem with both elevators and stairs is the commonly used surfaces. On elevators it is the buttons and exterior deluxe stairs it is the door hardware. It seems like it would be easier to just use the ground floor. The Polynesian Village and Grand Floridian have automatic doors on the ground floors so people would not be touching anything to enter.
There used to be elevator operators back in the day in each elevator. Maybe we will see them again, even though they will just be pushing buttons.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It woud be if they have to worry about everything.
At a certain point it is going to come down to time(which is hard becuase as a society, none of us alive have ever had to do anything like this, and we our a culture/world that loves our entertainment.)
and the other part will be inherent risk. When the time passed comes to the point where we know that medicine treatments are advancing enough and cases have lowered for us to take the risk.
We are only a bit over a month into this out of the three or four it could take.

Even with China's draconian style it has been going since janurary it takes time, and they may have their public school systems open back up next month.
That’s why I’m more and more leaning towards a fall opening. Maybe Sept 1. Especially if schools are back by then there will be a lot of people interacting on a regular basis anyway. We will also have several months after the stay at home orders are lifted to see what the impact (if any) is.

SoCalMort

...I don't know exactly what the cloud will look like. Maybe someone has access to computational fluid dynamics software to simulate it. I do know that it won't look like what you are picturing (an airplane flying into a cloud).

DisneyDebRob

That’s why I’m more and more leaning towards a fall opening. Maybe Sept 1. Especially if schools are back by then there will be a lot of people interacting on a regular basis anyway. We will also have several months after the stay at home orders are lifted to see what the impact (if any) is.
Your going to the dark side now. Welcome.😂

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There used to be elevator operators back in the day in each elevator. Maybe we will see them again, even though they will just be pushing buttons.
Voice activation Instead? (The elevator, not the operators)
I would be less worried about pushing buttons and more worried about riding in an elevator filled with strangers. They could just put hand sanitizer stations on each floor by the elevator or staircase doors. When you exit the stairs or elevator just wash your hands. There’s nothing you can do if an infected stranger coughs or sneezes in the elevator with you.

Josh Hendy

Public access to preprint research, meaning before it is peer-reviewed, is a very new concept in medical research, and the pandemic has exposed potential flaws in publicizing what are essentially first drafts.
I find that the body of most media articles are honest descriptions of the preliminary research. Usually. I've read some really horrendous mischaracterizations but that's not the norm. Still, people should read the actual published study and not depend on news summaries. Especially if they intend to get onto social media and spout off about it 😉

The worst bias takes place when the sub editor or editor writes the headline. Again and again I've read a flaming headline that is either a gross mischaracterization or a flat-out lie. You can tell a really bad headline because they use a politician's name even though s/he had nothing to do with the story, or they use a word such as "controversial" in order to deliberately inflame political partisans and help them confirm their smug biases with bothering to read any further.

Public access to preprint research is the antidote to bad media reporting, and is not a problem in itself.

ImperfectPixie

I wouldn’t exactly call that major considering how close we are to the end of the school year anyway.
The way the governor of MA was talking the other day, it seems like they're going to do everything in their power to get kids back to school up here. I don't know 1) how they think that's reasonable, 2) how they could possibly guarantee the safety of children and by extension, the families they live with, 3) how they think parents are even willing to send kids, given the wide range of potentially severe symptoms carried by this virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom