Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Don’t flush it, though. It’s terrible for plumbing.

So, quick unrelated story that has some entertainment value, but is quite gross. When I was an undergrad, this one guy thought it was the height of hilarity to throw poopy toilet paper over the divider and into a neighbor's stall. He oftentimes didn't note who was in the adjacent stalls. This habit came to an end when he hit someone who was several inches taller, 50 pounds heavier, and all muscle.

Nemo14

So, quick unrelated story that has some entertainment value, but is quite gross. When I was an undergrad, this one guy thought it was the height of hilarity to throw poopy toilet paper over the divider and into a neighbor's stall. He oftentimes didn't note who was in the adjacent stalls. This habit came to an end when he hit someone who was several inches taller, 50 pounds heavier, and all muscle.
and DH didn't like it one bit! :mad:

:joyfull:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Really? That’s what we were told they were only useful for.

It's one of those 'protect people from themselves' situations. Masks had value, but they weren't a total solution... so to avoid people just doing masks poorly AND still get sick AND take masks away from those that needed it.... they were down on people wearing masks. People wanted masks to protect themselves... not others. Selfish people don't care about other people :)

When you say to do something, and it doesn't quite work right, people will still blame you... so the experts don't like 'iffy' or 'partial' solutions that goto crap when done poorly.

With the rise of asymptomatic transfer being considered even a higher problem... encouraging masks was a 'better than nothing' solution to try to knock that risk down. Carriers aren't going to make themselves more sick with a mask... but the mask may knock down the probability of them transferring to others.

Disstevefan1

I would like to turn the direction of this thread. We know WDW will reopen eventually. I presume they will want to limit capacity. My question is how?

Maybe they can use a similar way to the Disneyland app where you must reserve a time to be in a park.

Chip Chipperson

The media was too quick to report "facts" like:
1) FACT: Masks are only for people who are already sick-- you shouldn't wear one if you aren't. Result: wearing a mask carried a stigma that you were sick. Sad truth: a lot of people won't wear a mask even when they are sick, and others won't wear one when they are carriers and don't know it.
2) FACT: Young people are immune! Result: If I get Corona, I get Corona kid. Also young people can and do get infected..

That 2nd "fact" that they reported never made any sense to me. It made even less sense when it still got reported after they reported known cases of people testing positive who were once thought to be "too young" to get it. And because the first impression people were given was that "young people are immune," we still see people believing it and acting like they can do whatever they want without getting or spreading the virus.

Polynesia

I would like to turn the direction of this thread. We know WDW will reopen eventually. I presume they will want to limit capacity. My question is how?

Maybe they can use a similar way to the Disneyland app where you must reserve a time to be in a park.
That could work provided they opened up more than just one park so there is someplace for all guests to go. I think Magic Kingdom and Studios will definitely open. It might only be for resort guests for awhile. Until they know what the demand is It may be trial and error. Many think hotels will open first but without the parks I don’t know why guests would come to just stay at a hotel. Over the next few days updates are going to be given on a national level on possible opening scenarios for the country. (Not meant to be political as this will impact Disney and other travel related industries). I’m very interested in hearing how things may open up. Hawaii is already looking at opening their economy since they have few cases. That might be really good news for Disney’s Aulani Resort.

JohnD

That could work provided they opened up more than just one park so there is someplace for all guests to go. I think Magic Kingdom and Studios will definitely open. It might only be for resort guests for awhile. Until they know what the demand is It may be trial and error. Many think hotels will open first but without the parks I don’t know why guests would come to just stay at a hotel. Over the next few days updates are going to be given on a national level on possible opening scenarios for the country. (Not meant to be political as this will impact Disney and other travel related industries). I’m very interested in hearing how things may open up. Hawaii is already looking at opening their economy since they have few cases. That might be really good news for Disney’s Aulani Resort.

My guess is that Aulani and all of Hawaii needs to keep a close look at Japan and their cases of COVID. Japan is closer than the continental US and Hawaii is a major travel destination for them.

Lilofan

My guess is that Aulani and all of Hawaii needs to keep a close look at Japan and their cases of COVID. Japan is closer than the continental US and Hawaii is a major travel destination for them.
Exactly. When vacationing in HI, the biggest ethnic group to live and vacation there are from Japan.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I for one would love to go a resort and lay out by an awesome pool and have some drinks. :)

And as I asked, are you missing a comma? Read your post. You were missing a comma so I asked for clarification if that was a typo or not.
“Hundreds” is represented by:
“In Thousands” is represented by:
“In millions” is represented by:
1,000 (the extra zeros are “implied” - the descriptor tells the reader how to interpret)
“In billions” is represented by:
1,000 (the extra zeros are “implied” - the descriptor tells the reader how to interpret)
Make sense?

MickeyLuv'r

why would most research facilities even think you had any reason to keep looking for vaccine for something that was no longer a threat?

Look to the NIH website for more information.

Emerging viruses have been a concern for some time.

From the abstract of a paper that was published in September 2019 called, "Emergence and Reemergence of Viral Zoonotic Diseases: Concepts and Factors of Emerging and Reemerging Globalization of Health Threats."

The unpredictable emergence of new zoonotic diseases with viral etiology is currently a hot issue in the scientific and political circles. Viral emergence and reemergence, as a sanitary event, are only the visible part of the iceberg, while the hidden one corresponds to a multitude of complex and interrelated factors, including societal and environmental factors favoring the advent of the state of viral emergence and reemergence.

According to the World Health Organization, 60% of the agents recognized as human pathogens come from the animal kingdom, and 75% of the pathogens responsible for emerging and reemerging animal diseases present a potential transgression of interface between interspecies establishing favorable conditions for genetic exchange leading to the emergence of new highly pathogenic variants and strains of which the animal is often the host reservoir.

Further down:
Bat-borne zoonotic diseases add a supplementary challenge to the global health community and their role has been demonstrated in the emergence and reemergence of many serious and highly publicized viral infectious diseases [Ebola and Marburg virus (reemergence in 2014), Hendra virus (emergence since 1994), Nipah virus (emergence since 1997)].

DCBaker

Premium Member
"After weeks of holding out hope the Tour de France would be able to go ahead as planned despite the coronavirus pandemic, the world’s most famous cycling race was finally added to the list of sporting events called off.

It may still happen this year, but it’s clear the three-week race won’t be starting on June 27 in the Riviera city of Nice as scheduled."

DisneyCane

The main reason for the change of whether to wear one or not was there was increasing evidence that the virus can be spread by presymptomatic and asymptomatic carriers.As the experts gather more info everyday, things change. That’s what science is all about. When they find something that doesn’t match up with what they figured out before, they adjust and change and get the best info out as soon as they know.
There are still many unknowns with this and I’m sure there will be more adjustments. I’m happy to see science working like it should.

A couple of things about masks which I think are very important. First, as has been mentioned before, it is important that people don't get a false sense of security from wearing a mask and stop paying attention to other guidelines. Even a properly fitted N95 mask doesn't completely eliminate all risk of transmission.

Second, putting on and taking off the mask leads to opportunities to touch your face. If you haven't washed or sanitized your hands before putting the mask on or taking it off (on is more of an issue), you must be extremely vigilant not to touch the inside of the mask or your face in the process.

peter11435

“Hundreds” is represented by:
“In Thousands” is represented by:
“In millions” is represented by:
“In billions” is represented by:
Make sense?
All correct. But the poster WAS/IS missing a comma for one data point. Thus the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom