Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

We went to a state park yesterday... at first glance it looked extremely busy, a couple of parking lots were full. We finally found a parking spot at one of the trailheads..started walking and encountered a few groups of people at an overlook, some were wearing masks, some weren’t. People said hi, but maintained a good distance, only one group went on the overlook at a time.
Once on the trails, it wasn’t busy at all.

I know for us, it was an amazing day and a nice break. I hope the majority of state parks remain open.

Signs and yellow caution tape were in many areas of the main parts of the park. Restrooms all closed.

4D77418D-04E3-4B7D-A9B8-82246CE00BBE.jpeg
58B97182-20F0-49CA-92ED-535684267DAF.jpeg

MaryJaneP

If my mask protects you (and others) and your (and others) mask(s) protect me, is it the height of self aggrandizement not to wear a mask? How else can you basically give the middle finger to everyone around you? It seems like some professionals wear masks all day in hot conditions. How would WDW function if masks are optional? Are the young expendable since many do not see masks being worn/wearable by the young? How is China handling masking the young?

DC0703

As I mentioned in my scenario about wearing masks at Disney parks is that Disney may not have a choice.

*IF* the governmental authority mandates masks in public settings, then Disney will have two and only two choices:
1. Open and make everyone wear a mask, even if it means excluding those who don't or can't, and even if it's uncomfortable, OR..​
2. Stay closed.​

If you can't imagine Disney enforcing masks, or excluding those who can't (the tots), or if you can't imagine yourself wearing a mask in the heat or because it fogs up your glasses and it's uncomfortable... then do not go to Disney while masks are governmentally mandated. Or... live with no one going to Disney for many months because they remain closed.

The option of getting back to Disney soon with no masks is likely to be off the table... not an option at all.

I just don't understand the hand-wringing over this. It's the same "surely they wouldn't..." line of reasoning when everything was shutting down. "Surely Disney won't close. Surely Disney wouldn't be closed for two weeks. Surely Disney wouldn't be closed for two months.

We have to deal with the current reality and stop convincing ourselves that something won't happen because "surely it wouldn't!"

I agree that this might not be optional and may be required to get Disney up and running again.

I also agree with the concerns about usage in hot, humid weather. They would get uncomfortable/unpleasant after a while and I would worry that people would constantly be fidgeting with them, touching their face in the process.

Personally, I don't think I would want to go to the parks during that time. I was anxious to get my mask off after a 40 minute grocery shopping excursion. I've also worn them while doing woodworking projects in my garage and know how unpleasant they get after a while. I can't imagine wearing it for hours in the hot sun while you are hoofing it around a theme park.

JoeCamel

It’s hard not to be compliant when the government orders all non-essential businesses to close and closes national parks, beaches, etc.

I mean it seems to be working, my county has less than 30 total cases and no deaths, without the closures I doubt that would be the case.
If my mask protects you (and others) and your (and others) mask(s) protect me, is it the height of self aggrandizement not to wear a mask? How else can you basically give the middle finger to everyone around you? It seems like some professionals wear masks all day in hot conditions. How would WDW function if masks are optional? Are the young expendable since many do not see masks being worn/wearable by the young? How is China handling masking the young?
I was in wally today and it was a zoo. Few masks, no distancing and this is a retirement community. Most of the older folks had masks but very few of the younger did.
The time that this thing peaks is far from over

Incomudro

A guest at WDW is on vacation, and not a working professional.
On that note, how many professions wear masks outdoors for hours on end? What professions?
As for China, the culture there is vastly different.

Tori

A guest at WDW is on vacation, and not a working professional.
On that note, how many professions wear masks outdoors for hours on end? What professions?
As for China, the culture there is vastly different.

I'm not sure how long people could keep their masks on in Florida summers. Plus all the eating and drinking. Super important to stay hydrated outside.

I know if I had to wear a mask outside I'd be touching my face more than if I didn't wear one.

rowrbazzle

Thanks for the post. With 1.5 million people infected, it seems that it shouldn't be that hard to find a statistical "control group". It also seems that if this is so promising, there would be more than 1 doctor in France working/publishing on it. I hope he's right.

They're using the Malaria drugs in combination with other treatments on some patients at Mrs. Rowrbazzle's hospital and others. I guess some of the symptoms of Covid are similar to what's seen in (one type of?) Malaria. *Edit: it seems I misunderstood her. It's not similar symptoms. She laughed when she read what I wrote 🤦‍♂️😄* Evidently it has to do with preventing the virus from infecting the patient's hemoglobin. Or something like that. It's not a controlled trial, but I think something they're trying because outcomes on the ventilator are so poor. It's part of the official protocol here.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm not sure how long people could keep their masks on in Florida summers. Plus all the eating and drinking. Super important to stay hydrated outside.

I know if I had to wear a mask outside I'd be touching my face more than if I didn't wear one.
It’s really impractical to wear a mask all day. Maybe it could be possible to wear the mask at high contact times when you are definitely going to be within 6 feet of others. So for example if you are eating at a table that’s 6 feet apart (I know most WDW restaurants would have to change to that to qualify) then you should be able to keep the mask off when eating meals. When on a bus or boat or monorail or in line for a ride or to enter the park then wear the mask. At least then you would have coverage during the high contact times but not have to wear a mask all day. Probably not perfect but maybe a compromise. I don’t really know. It’s a tough call.

John park hopper

They're using the Malaria drugs in combination with other treatments on some patients at Mrs. Rowrbazzle's hospital and others. I guess some of the symptoms of Covid are similar to what's seen in (one type of?) Malaria. Evidently it has to do with preventing the virus from infecting the patient's hemoglobin. Or something like that. It's not a controlled trial, but I think something they're trying because outcomes on the ventilator are so poor. It's part of the official protocol here.
The malaria drug is being used to prevent ARDS
"What Is Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome? Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) is a condition that causes fluid to build up in your lungs so oxygen can’t get to your organs.".
The virus infect the alveoli of the lungs
Alveoli are tiny sacs within our lungs that allow oxygen and carbon dioxide to move between the lungs and bloodstream.
Simple you suffocate because your alveoli no longer function due to infection and fluid build up

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

It’s really impractical to wear a mask all day. Maybe it could be possible to wear the mask at high contact times when you are definitely going to be within 6 feet of others. So for example if you are eating at a table that’s 6 feet apart (I know most WDW restaurants would have to change to that to qualify) then you should be able to keep the mask off when eating meals. When on a bus or boat or monorail or in line for a ride or to enter the park then wear the mask. At least then you would have coverage during the high contact times but not have to wear a mask all day. Probably not perfect but maybe a compromise. I don’t really know. It’s a tough call.
ummmmm - I have yet to figure out how to eat ANYTHING with a mask on :). Regardless of "Social distancing" :).

Animaniac93-98

What masks are going to stay on your face while riding a roller coaster?

Who is going to enforce the rule of wearing them after they fall off? Just go to a gift shop and spend $25 to get another?

Who is going to clean up dirty, germ-covered PPE that guests have just tossed on the ground or fallen off their face?

It's not as practical as it sounds.

Lilofan

Who is going to enforce the rule of wearing them after they fall off? Just go to a gift shop and spend $25 to get another?

Who is going to clean up dirty, germ-covered PPE that guests have just tossed on the ground or fallen off their face?

Are these face masks waterproof if you are sitting in the wrong seat at DAK Kali River Rapids and get soaked?

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Like a hat maybe you take the mask off once in the ride vehicle. I’m grasping at straws here...it’s really impractical ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom