Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
No. But temperature checks followed by a 15 minute test for those who fail is not out of the realm of possibility eventually.

It goes deeper than that (depending on how they in fact choose to test). In the cruise line scenario. They could be tested prior to boarding. The ship has to clear customs in every port of call it stops in. So in theory they could be tested again as a prerequisite before being permitted to debark. They also may be subject to be tested before rejoining the ship.

With Disney, what does that do to multiple parks. You check in and get tested. Then get to the MK early afternoon and get tested again. Then park hop to Epcot early evening and get tested again. Then dip out of International Gateway for a meal at Yachtsman for another test. And then go back in through IG.

It's crazy, even if they could do it. Not to say that they won't

peter11435

It's not out of the realm of possibility, but what is Disney doing with that data? Are they collecting it and recording it? There's areas here where Disney has to be careful because once they start collecting that data, they have to protect that data and I don't think Disney wants to get into the area of keeping and maintaining medical records.
It likely wouldn’t be ‘Disney’ doing the testing.

Polynesia

Maybe. Maybe not. Disney is still responsible for them. Some have talked about PR nightmares for Disney. Can you imagine if Disney granted access to a third party and that third party had medical records leaked? It would be bad.
Hopefully they wouldn’t be leaked. All our medical records are out there somewhere with some company. I choose not to believe this is a likely scenario.

TrojanUSC

There is no way Disney will ever require people to be swabbed before entering the parks. It would literally do no good, is an operational nightmare, a legal liability and is highly invasive. Might as well just close up shop and sell it for parts.

The thermometer thing is a possibility but the reality is that it would be nothing more than pure theater, as its well established asymptotic people are a primary reason for the virus spreading as fast as it has.

peter11435

Maybe. Maybe not. Disney is still responsible for them. Some have talked about PR nightmares for Disney. Can you imagine if Disney granted access to a third party and that third party had medical records leaked? It would be bad.
Disney already does this with a third party who handles medical needs on board DCL.

In this case it likely wouldn’t be just Disney operating this way. We must consider the potential for a “temporary” new “normal” where all non essential public movements are restricted and controlled.

rowrbazzle

Boarding a cruise. If a guest reports being ill or recently being ill they are subject to further examination by the ship nurse/doctor before being allowed to board.

Thank you. That seems like a good comparable. It sounds like guests self-report. Can they be required to submit to an exam even if they say they haven't been sick? I've never cruised.

That's not really the case. You're thinking of the Americans with Disabilities Act, which doesn't allow employers to discriminate against otherwise qualified individuals specifically because of a medical condition.

It's been a long time since I did anything with the ADA (aka since I was in law school), but I don't believe that that carries over to customers. Beyond that, I'm not aware of any time a contagious illness was considered a medical condition for purposes of a disability classification.

Private businesses are generally allowed to refuse service to anyone as long as the reason for refusal isn't one that falls into a protected class. I'm struggling to think of a way a contagious illness alone would fall into a protected class. For example, if a black person was refused entry because they had a fever and a white person was not, then there would be a racially based discrimination claim (and race is a protected class). If everyone with a fever was refused entry, though, that's likely permissible.

HIV is considered a disability. There are many medical conditions that can qualify. But, like I said, I know that's from the employment standpoint. I was trying to think how it would apply to customers. Disney has to provide a reasonable accommodation to guests with disabilities; that's what the DAS is all about. This seems like something in between.

The temporary nature of the condition might keep it from being a disability for an employee. But again, I don't know how that applies to accommodating customers.

peter11435

It would literally do no good

This argument is false. Reduction is important even if you can’t achieve elimination

There is no way Disney will ever require people to be swabbed before entering the parks. It would literally do no good, is an operational nightmare, a legal liability and is highly invasive. Might as well just close up shop and sell it for parts.

The thermometer thing is a possibility but the reality is that it would be nothing more than pure theater, as its well established asymptotic people are a primary reason for the virus spreading as fast as it has.

It wouldn’t be a requirement. The temperature scan would be required. Upon failure of a temperature scan you are denied access. You have the option to receive a test had a third party medical operational where a negative test will allow entry.

peter11435

Thank you. That seems like a good comparable. It sounds like guests self-report. Can they be required to submit to an exam even if they say they haven't been sick? I've never cruised.
In the last month of cruising before the Covid shutdown cruise lines operated a temperature check process in addition to the self-report. Failure of either resulted in additional screening. Also cruise lines have required obviously symptomatic guests to submit to additional medical screening before boarding even if the guests claimed to have no illness.

MickeyLuv'r

If anyone can do it, Disney can. It won't be easy, period.
You mean the same place I visit, right?

The place that hasn't managed to answer phone calls in a timely manner over the last 10+ years?
The place that has frequent monorail shutdowns?
The place that doesn't police line cutters?
The place that tells everyone they are supposed to move to the end of the row in every theater, to fill in all of the seats, but does nothing when people sit in the middle of the row?

THAT place?

rowrbazzle

In the last month of cruising before the Covid shutdown cruise lines operated a temperature check process in addition to the self-report. Failure of either resulted in additional screening. Also cruise lines have required obviously symptomatic guests to submit to additional medical screening before boarding even if the guests claimed to have no illness.

Thank you!

DCBaker

Premium Member
This apparently starts today.

"In a statement Starbucks said they've provided employees with a tutorial to make their own non-medical facial covering with supplies available in stores, if employees don't have one of their own. The company also said they are planning to source face masks as well as thermometers so that employees can opt to have their temperature taken."

Lilofan

You mean the same place I visit, right?

The place that hasn't managed to answer phone calls in a timely manner over the last 10+ years?
The place that has frequent monorail shutdowns?
The place that doesn't police line cutters?
The place that tells everyone they are supposed to move to the end of the row in every theater, to fill in all of the seats, but does nothing when people sit in the middle of the row?

THAT place?
Yes that place, the #1 favorite destination of my family , friends and I'm sure many others. No one is forcing you to go.

TrojanUSC

It wouldn’t be a requirement. The temperature scan would be required. Upon failure of a temperature scan you are denied access. You have the option to receive a test had a third party medical operational where a negative test will allow entry.

Again, pure theater. Most people are spreading this asymptomatically. So great, ruin someone's vacation because they have a cold but Asymptomatic Adam over there goes undetected.

jmp85

This argument is false. Reduction is important even if you can’t achieve elimination

How does it help if I've already driven in, parked at the TTA and either 1) taken the boat, or 2) taken the monorail? I've already left my germs everywhere. What about admission to Disney Springs?

ImperfectPixie

This apparently starts today.

"In a statement Starbucks said they've provided employees with a tutorial to make their own non-medical facial covering with supplies available in stores, if employees don't have one of their own. The company also said they are planning to source face masks as well as thermometers so that employees can opt to have their temperature taken."

I literally just cut one from an old t-shirt so I can go to the supermarket. Took less than 5 minutes.

jmp85

Again, pure theater. Most people are spreading this asymptomatically. So great, ruin someone's vacation because they have a cold but Asymptomatic Adam over there goes undetected.

There's no way for Disney to practically do what people are suggesting on here. It's laughable. There are so many points of entry when you consider all of the on-site transportation, resorts, parks, Disney Springs. It's not worth even debating.

peter11435

How does it help if I've already driven in, parked at the TTA and either 1) taken the boat, or 2) taken the monorail? I've already left my germs everywhere. What about admission to Disney Springs?
Again it’s about reduction. And it easily could be screened before you take the boat or take the monorail. You can stop transmission but you can slow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom