Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

John park hopper

IT which should be no surprise is probably outsourced to India and or another third world country. A number of companies in the USA use this route. It is cheaper to outsource than pay USA labor rates and not needing to cover medical insurance costs for third party vendors.
So true My nephew worked for several years for Fedex In IT pretty high up they had him traveling to India and train IT on Fedex issues (couple of years ago) he saw the handwriting on the wall and left Fedex.

celluloid

I
Likely. But it depends what the additional screening entailed.

It will not if a fever is not that common of a symptom and can be surpressed for hours with Tylenol. At that point just do the screening part required before you get your tickets and days before arrival. Same concept, less money and hassle and not just for a fever symptom.

Disney never even did full security at theme parks with 9/11 with metal detectors, or random ones at all at Disney Springs after Pulse. Once this calms down they will put forth the minimal or cost.

Superstitious Authoritarian governments do temp screenings to enter places.

It would be interesting but given the asymptomatic spread I'm not sure it actually helps anything. I'm an electric grid operator in NY and I've been living in our control room for about 2 weeks so far. We still take temps every day but were also tested for COVID prior to being locked in. They also made us continue to social distance among ourselves for the first 14 days after we got here as the test is not foolproof. Given the timeframe they have given us, I don't see how they are going to be able to even open the parks until something breaks (the virus spread slows or some proven treatment becomes available). My wife and I have a reservation at Poly in July but we decided were not going whether things are open or not, she has MS and we have no interest in the risk right now.

peter11435

I

It will not if a fever is not that common of a symptom and can be surpressed for hours with Tylenol. At that point just do the screening part required before you get your tickets and days before arrival. Same concept, less money and hassle and not just for a fever symptom.

Disney never even did full security at theme parks with metal detectors, or random ones at all at Disney Springs after Pulse. Once this calms down they will put forth the minimal or cost.
Yeah I never said this would prevent transmission. I clearly said earlier it was about making people feel better. Not actually making them safer.

My point was that if a guest fails the temperature check they likely won’t be turned away as there are other reasons a guest could fail. They would likely face additional screening that might not simply be explaining away the symptom. At no point was I implying this would actually control the spread of virus.

havoc315

It’s an attempt to make people feel safe. Similar to bag checks for security. The only way to know for sure people aren’t infected would be a swab test and that’s not a practical solution.

Swab tests don't provide immediate results... though testing is starting to become available with results in 15-45 minutes. But still not practical -- Swab someone, then have them stand off to the side for 15-45 minutes??

But temp checks are more than a fake measure just to promote safe feelings.
Don't confuse elimination of disease transmission with reduction of disease transmission.

Yes, asymptomatic people *CAN* spread the disease. But symptomatic people are more likely to spread the disease. And coronavirus does produce symptoms in 50-75% of those infected.

So imagine -- No temperature checks, 50 infected people walk through the gates. Of which about 30 are symptomatic, and the most highly transmitting.
With temperature checks -- Only 20 infect people get through the gates, and they are relatively low transmitters.

Which scenario is better? 30 high transmitters + 20 low transmitters, or just 20 low transmitters?

Temperature checks are certainly not a guarantee... but they do make things safer. Extra handwashing stations are not a guarantee, but they make things safer. etc, etc.

celluloid

Not saying you did peter.
Quoting to further the conversation on how pointless it would be even if further questioning after a high temp reading.

celluloid

Swab tests don't provide immediate results... though testing is starting to become available with results in 15-45 minutes. But still not practical -- Swab someone, then have them stand off to the side for 15-45 minutes??

But temp checks are more than a fake measure just to promote safe feelings.
Don't confuse elimination of disease transmission with reduction of disease transmission.

Yes, asymptomatic people *CAN* spread the disease. But symptomatic people are more likely to spread the disease. And coronavirus does produce symptoms in 50-75% of those infected.

So imagine -- No temperature checks, 50 infected people walk through the gates. Of which about 30 are symptomatic, and the most highly transmitting.
With temperature checks -- Only 20 infect people get through the gates, and they are relatively low transmitters.

Which scenario is better? 30 high transmitters + 20 low transmitters, or just 20 low transmitters?

Temperature checks are certainly not a guarantee... but they do make things safer. Extra handwashing stations are not a guarantee, but they make things safer. etc, etc.

Again, what is done after a high temp read? And someone is suspect after questioning? Then you have them wait an hour for results. They are there. They are a family who have all arrived at this moment.

peter11435

Not saying you did peter.
Quoting to further the conversation on how pointless it would be even if further questioning after a high temp reading.
It wouldn’t have to be simply further questioning. Upon failing the temperature screening guests might be subject to a 15 minute test.

_caleb

Do we know how many (maybe percentage of total) CMs are still working? I mean actually going to work, not furloughed. Anyone?

eliza61nyc

lol, I went to the Doctors last week for a check up on my knee replacement, they checked my temperature before I was allowed into the waiting room. they also asked me if I went to NYC lately or if I have been around anyone who was sick.

I'll be sure to tell them all the doctors here said it was a waste of time.

Just makes me giggle,

there are no guarantees in life, if you feel the parks are not going to be safe, there is an easy solution.....

And if disney doesn't do anything I wonder who's going to be the first to lawyer up and say "they should have done some screening to protect me".

Lilofan

Guest Relations are stationed inside the parks. If Bob Iger gets his way and temp checks are a way of life, then some Guest Relations cast members should be stationed right at the temp check lines prior to entering the parks.

eliza61nyc

queue the lawyers... when PAID guests are denied entrance without factual evidence that they actually have this virus, this is going to blow up big time. No way Disney does this for guests. CM's, maybe, but not guests.

and if they don't do something, the first guest who gets sick is going to lawyer up. Americans are the most litigious people on the planet. no way can Disney win this fight.
Interestingly enough I have a friend who is seriously considering not reopening his bar and grill here in Philly for that very reason. First guest who gets ill after the "all clear" is going to lawyer up and say his establishment did not do enough to protect him from Covid-19.

peter11435

queue the lawyers... when PAID guests are denied entrance without factual evidence that they actually have this virus, this is going to blow up big time. No way Disney does this for guests. CM's, maybe, but not guests.
That’s the thing. Nobody would be denied entrance without evidence. The would be delayed entrance until the factual evidence was acquired or they were proven negative.

John park hopper

Temperature taking is not a waste of time it does screen for active cases but it does have its limitations. No fever in conjunction with distancing goes hand and hand to prevent spreading and how the heck do you distance in WDW

havoc315

Nonsense. As a lawyer, I'm telling you Disney has every legal right to exclude entry on almost any basis (except for race, etc). They would have to refund the ticket of course. Knowing Disney, they would likely provide a future return ticket.

"For the safety of our guests, all entrants will be screened for fever.Those with temperatures over 100.1 will not be permitted entry. Those excluded for fever can undergo on-site testing for Coronavirus and referral to appropriate medical providers. "
(by the time parks re-open, testing should be widely available).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom