Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Interesting they mentioned earlier this year. That is very possible that many died of pneumonia and it was calculated in the seasonal flu. I have maintained that this virus has been here months before we started counting it.

NO - that's not what this article is talking about AT ALL.

This "oh we got sick in december.. I wonder if it was covid-19" is NOT THIS.

ifan

Unfortunately you don't know your peak until after you've passed it - but this data is hopeful for the rest of the country. NYC tapering off.

Attachments

• EU3PuD-UEAAPdrx.jpg
    EU3PuD-UEAAPdrx.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 76

Polynesia

Lots of positive info out there today!
NY new hospitalizations vs discharges peaked on April 1 and has been decreasing for 4 straight days now.
Many other hotspot areas today have seen decreased numbers (Chicago had fewer cases and deaths today vs yesterday even with increased testing.)

Deaths continue to increase nationwide - but that is a lagging number (these people were likely infected 18-21 days ago before lockdowns.)

I predict our resource needs (beds/ventilators) will start to decrease after this week. The question is what do we do next?! How do we re-open safely? No country has figured this out yet (even the asian countries have seen some increases over the past week.)
Thank you for a positive update. We tend to dwell too much on the negative. It will definitely be a challenge to reopen the world.

Josh Hendy

Ok, but don't sensationalize this. The story equates to "In the early phases of the outbreak, due to lack of testing, not all deaths may have been fully accounted for as covid-19". This highlights an inaccuracy in count -- not things like "attempts to obscure", or "this goes all the way back til...", or that this is a growing or ongoing problem now, or anything necessarily nefarious.

It's pointing out that with lack of testing, death numbers can also be inaccurate due to variations in procedures across the country. And note, it's not calling out that these inaccuracies are even statistically relevant... just points out that precision takes time, and that many are even trying to backtrack and tighten up their data.

Don't sensationalize what is effectively saying "early data may have been under reported due to variations in methods"

And it's completely ingenious to use this article when discussing the rate NOW.
Hey ... please read the following sentences very carefully ... all I did was paste an article. No need to imply (twice) that I'm "sensationalizing" and imply that I said there is something nefarious going on ... I didn't add a single word of opinion about the story to what I posted and I doubt that you can read my mind
🧙‍♂️🔮🎱

Thank for calling me "ingenious" though, I don't hear that very often👍

flynnibus

Premium Member
Hey ... please read the following sentences very carefully ... all I did was paste an article. No need to imply (twice) that I'm "sensationalizing" and imply that I said there is something nefarious going on ... I didn't add a single word of opinion about the story to what I posted and I doubt that you can read my mind
🧙‍♂️🔮🎱

Thank for calling me "ingenious" though, I don't hear that very often👍

The opening line of your post
Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 4.35.35 PM.png

I mean.. you can even look at your posts... why bother writing stuff that contradicts YOURSELF?

Any discussion of 'flattening' would be referring to counts NOW. Your comment suggests this article supports the idea that counts now are being undercounted like this article covers. And that's NOT what it's saying.

Virtual Toad

The NYTimes is the harbinger of fear during this crisis. If I only read their reporting I'd think it was a zombie apocalypse and half the country was dead. Sensationalist articles.

Maybe spend some time in NYC right now to see it from their perspective. Or read the article I posted here from the NYT earlier today about what's going on right now in the Brooklyn ICU they reported on.

Not sure where you read in the NYT that half the country is dead. As a former member of the media I grow tired of reading people's armchair analysis that the media, or certain members of it, are "harbingers of fear" when the facts they are reporting on are indeed truly scary.

MagicRat

Perhaps instead of reading everything in the media just read the statistics even as poorly it is flowing out right now because of testing.

Math is always right. If you were following this when the OP made this thread you could easily come to a close outcome of what has and is happening. Unfortunately we are a global economy and we did not do enough in the beginning to stop the spread. We had a Super Bowl and a Mardi Gras and now they are hotspots, go figure.

By staying at home and limiting who can work, you are bettering the percentages. Sure, I have a chance of getting it today because I went to a grocery store for the first time in a week but I have a far better percentage than if I kept my construction office open or if I took my Disney trip starting 3/13 which I canceled the week before the company canceled it for us. I started prepping my wife to cancel at the end of January and she finally understood the math and relented in the beginning of March.

Do the math and do yourself a favor stay at home.

Sheri M

The problem may not be you, the problem is the few bad apple saying. From the picture in your twitter quote it shows the people packed up on the shore. That’s why it’s shut down because idiots can’t help themselves.

I have the same thing where I live. I live in Missouri wine country where there are numerous biking paths and nature walks. Even though the county and the State has shut down the parks people are flocking to them and to the allowable takeout restaurants right now. Where are they eating the takeout food? In the parking lot right next to car parked by them who is also eating in said spot. So these fools are aiding in prolonging the virus.

I apologize people are inconvenienced right now, but stay the .... at home. Listen to Sam Jackson.
Guessing you live somewhere close to the Katy Trail?

hopemax

Undercounting deaths has happened in other countries so far, so I don't know why we would think it wasn't happening here. I don't have any reason to assume the people who die at home or do not have a confirmed positive test are being counted.

But I do think it's helpful for reporters to document it. Because, as our death count is not near the predictions (yet), I imagine the economy/death crowd will ratchet up with their "was it worth it" and will conveniently forget that there are other deaths than just those in the official count.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
I would guess she lives near the area as well or has at least been on the trail. My post had bike path, Missouri and wine country.

Just like the virus and math, she followed the clues.

Never mind. I thought she quoted your last post and was positive she was straight out of a Dan Brown novel.

MaximumEd

Do we know with good certainty the guy in Washington state was the actual beginning for the outbreak in the US? Since it appears China wasn’t completely forthcoming with when it started there, is there any chance it actually started here in, say, November instead of January? Would that put us, on average because each state is a bit different, peaking now instead of 4-6 weeks, or whatever it is, from now? Just curious if anyone has any info on this.

ImperfectPixie

Do we know with good certainty the guy in Washington state was the actual beginning for the outbreak in the US? Since it appears China wasn’t completely forthcoming with when it started there, is there any chance it actually started here in, say, November instead of January? Would that put us, on average because each state is a bit different, peaking now instead of 4-6 weeks, or whatever it is, from now? Just curious if anyone has any info on this.
I've seen tons of speculation, but nothing definitive.

Polynesia

There’s also speculation that Italy started with this the end of last year. They had a higher than normal amount of pneumonia deaths. It makes sense that this was here earlier than January. Many people were sick earlier in the year and it wasn’t the seasonal flu or cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom