Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rimmit

And people disagree when I say that WDW would be packed if the parks opened tomorrow!

There is a big difference In a seafood market and WDW. I will not go into the extensive laundry list of differences, but one of the biggest ones is the cost. If the economy is going to be as awful as you predict (and I also agree it will be awful) WDW will need some people with cash to be able to go.

You have a bit of a paradoxical argument in that you state the economy Will be garbage (which I and most agree it will be in the tank), yet believe it will be packed when it opens.

DisneyCane

There is a big difference In a seafood market and WDW. I will not go into the extensive laundry list of differences, but one of the biggest ones is the cost. If the economy is going to be as awful as you predict (and I also agree it will be awful) WDW will need some people with cash to be able to go.

You have a bit of a paradoxical argument in that you state the economy Will be garbage (which I and most agree it will be in the tank), yet believe it will be packed when it opens.
That isn't a paradox. I've stated that people will run up credit card debt to go to WDW like many do now. Also, my comment above is bases upon comfort level, not economics.

DisneyCane

The flattening of new cases per day may also be caused by testing limits.

If they're only able to test 10,000 per day and ~ 10% are positive you won't get more than 1,000 new cases per day on the graph.
Testing per day has been increasing. There's no chart but I've watched the numbers.

Rimmit

That isn't a paradox. I've stated that people will run up credit card debt to go to WDW like many do now. Also, my comment above is bases upon comfort level, not economics.

Going to Disney is not as simple as going to a park. It’s not just comfort level. Going to Disney requires some “economics”. No matter how comfortable I am walking into the park, Disney ain’t letting me in the gate unless I am paying for that ticket.

It is paradoxical. While credit cards get you fast cash, If it’s maxed out it doesn’t matter. Given most people’s credits are now wrecked and maxed out per yours and all the economic doomists on this forum (which I again am not arguing that people are in a financial bind), how are you gonna get another credit card or a credit card card with the credit line required for a Disney vacation. You can’t just get a low hanging fruit CC with $800 credit to go to Disney. That’s just not enough.

You can’t keep saying the “The economy is a disaster, How can we do this to the economy? People will die because of the economy. People will starve because of the economy. The tanking of the economy will cost more lives than the virus. We can’t let the cure be worse than the disease!” And then turnaround and state people have enough credit and money left to go to Disney. You can’t have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited:

Lilofan

The slaves to debt mentality is what fuels the USA economy but with what is going on right now current-corona, millions unemployed and climbing, peoples investments and retirements taken huge paper losses etc, for Americans as you think will pack the parks and keep running up their debt is outright suicidal.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Going to Disney is not as simple as going to a park. It’s not just comfort level. Going to Disney requires some “economics”. No matter how comfortable I am walking into the park, Disney ain’t letting me in the gate unless I am paying for that ticket.

It is paradoxical. While credit cards get you fast cash, If it’s maxed out it doesn’t matter. Given most people’s credits are now wrecked and maxed out per yours and all the economic doomists on this forum (which I again am not arguing that people are in a financial bind), how are you gonna get another credit card or a credit card card with the credit line required for a Disney vacation. You can’t just get a low hanging fruit CC with $800 credit to go to Disney. That’s just not enough.

You can’t keep saying the “The economy is a disaster, How can we do this to the economy? People will die because of the economy. People will starve because of the economy. The tanking of the economy will cost more lives than the virus. We can’t let the cure be worse than the disease!” And then turnaround and state people have enough credit and money left to go to Disney. You can’t have your cake and eat it too.
You can’t even have a cake these days. They are sold out of flour everywhere ;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No. I'm basing it on a chart. If you don't see 3 days of leveling off then you need to look more carefully.
There is also a data lag on a number of fronts...which the intelligent people in the room have been warning you from the start

The warnings from day one is that if you don’t test, there will be a huge problem tracking and containing due to the lifespan of the germ and the latency periods of case development.

You don’t declare victory based on one graph with assumed holes in the data and start complaining about lost park time or money...you wait.

New York had a drop in deaths yesterday - far more serious than your graph - and did the Governor hold a parade in the hamptons?

No...he said it’s too early to make a statistical correlation and reaffirmed hot spot danger and precautions.

And as an aside...this just made me cry - in a good way: they have had 88,000 volunteer medical workers show up in New York...22,000 of them from out of state.

Retirees, veterans, scared students, people that just needed to do something.

Warriors. You can’t win a battlefield without the infantry.

I’ll listen any of those New York/New Jersey jokes people want to sling...just bring it.🇺🇸🦅

Last edited:

Flugell

In the U.K. supermarkets have lines outside painted on the floor the required distance apart to ensure compliance. They also have the normal security to make certain that people are abiding by the lines. Limits of 100 people in most, lines in the supermarket to remind people not to encroach on other customers space and lines on floor for the checkout as well. Seems to be working so not impossible. Inconvenient yes, but the best it can be.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I hope you are wrong and he’s right...but my hope doesn’t make it so :(

Obviously we are all worried about "now". And hopefully "now" will begin to level soon. I'm caught up thinking about "later". The second wave. The Spanish Flu came back with a fury. The second wave was lethal. Much more so than the first.

Now, sure there are a lot of reasons for that - including WWI troop movement and the like (which we don't have to that extent today) - but in today's world, with air travel, car travel, and the like......I'm praying we have something a lot stronger to fight this come Sept/Oct.

ImperfectPixie

Obviously we are all worried about "now". And hopefully "now" will begin to level soon. I'm caught up thinking about "later". The second wave. The Spanish Flu came back with a fury. The second wave was lethal. Much more so than the first.

Now, sure there are a lot of reasons for that - including WWI troop movement and the like (which we don't have to that extent today) - but in today's world, with air travel, car travel, and the like......I'm praying we have something a lot stronger to fight this come Sept/Oct.
I have a feeling international travel will be kept to the bare minimum for a while.

Lilofan

There is also a data lag on a number of fronts...which the intelligent people in the room have been warning you from the start

The warnings from day one is that if you don’t test, there will be a huge problem tracking and containing due to the lifespan of the germ and the latency periods of case development.

You don’t declare victory based on one graph with assumed holes in the data and start complaining about lost park time or money...you wait.

New York has a drop in deaths yesterday - for more serious than your graph - and did the Governor hold a parade in the hamptons?

No...he said it’s too early to make a statistical correlation and reaffirmed hot spot danger and precautions.

And as an aside...this just made me cry - in a good way: they have had 88,000 volunteer medical workers show up in New York...22,000 of them from out of state.

Retirees, veterans, scared students, people that just needed to do something.

Warriors. You can’t win a battlefield without the infantry.

I’ll listen any of those New York/New Jersey jokes people want to sling...just bring it.🇺🇸🦅
If you can make it in NYC, you can make it anywhere. I'm impressed with the multi-tasking residents of the Big Apple. They can walk, talk, eat and hail a cab on 5th Ave all at the same time..

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In the U.K. supermarkets have lines outside painted on the floor the required distance apart to ensure compliance. They also have the normal security to make certain that people are abiding by the lines. Limits of 100 people in most, lines in the supermarket to remind people not to encroach on other customers space and lines on floor for the checkout as well. Seems to be working so not impossible. Inconvenient yes, but the best it can be.
My local supermarkets do the same thing. We have a smaller store that’s only allowing 25 people in at a time. If more people arrive they hold them outside and everyone stands 6 feet a
art waiting. 1 comes out and 1 goes in. I haven’t seen the mobbing or crowding seen in some of these pictures. I’m also in a suburban area where homes are more spread out. It’s possible in an urban area the crowds would be larger with less room to spread out. Stores just need a plan.

Flugell

Good, I’m talking big supermarkets in large cities, though not as big as most Walmart’s I agree. All good natured......... so far .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom