Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

orlandogal22

Excellent. I actually paid for all my passes this year in full (Disney, Universal, and SW / BG) - which was huge for me (LOL) because I've been on payment plans for many years in the past.

But this is GREAT news for anyone with monthly payments!!!

EDIT - though I just read that monthly payment folks will NOT get their passes extended by number of days closed!??!

ImperfectPixie

I just heard on the radio Disney was suspending annual pass payments and refunding those taken out over the last two (or did he say few?) weeks?

Anyone know anything about this yet?
It's a little more convoluted than that, but there is a thread about it.

21stamps

The problem is the nature of the outdoors nature.

If you have a park that's dozens of acres with only a few dozen people. No problem. When you're governor said to go to the parks, that's probably what he was thinking because a lot of parks are like that.

But with almost everyone not working, then that park can be flooded by hundreds if not thousands of people. Social distancing just cannot take place in that situation. That's when local officials shut it down despite the governor's suggestion to go to parks for fresh air.

The same with beaches. They're pretty much design to densely pack people.

The same with aquatic recreation. You may think you're isolated on a boat... until people throw boat parties, or they pull up next to one another and pour a cup of wine and toast. Or they pull up to a restaurants dock where there are other people. On top of that, all those people in the water (whether swimming or in a craft) will eventually require one or more of them being saved by life guards or the coast guard... and that's just more contact with people. There is nothing about aquatic recreation that is *essential*, just like sports venues and gyms are closed, so are waterfronts that attract crowds.

Arguments that start with "surely, they must allow X..." are cut down with a simple counter-question: "Is X *essential*?"

It's time for sacrificing personal luxuries if they cannot be done without drawing people together for a possible virus transmission.

Most states with lockdown orders aren't even letting people congregate even though there may only be five of them and they're all keeping 6 feet apart. "Stay at home" means "stay at home." And "no group gatherings" means "no group gatherings."

With the exception of that which is essential for life and safety.

Depending the state orders, they'll stop you if you're joy riding in your car. Getting in your own boat is no different. Unless perhaps you own the whole lake.

"Stay at home" means "stay at home."

The allowance of local walking presumes being mostly apart from other. When it's seen that that can't actually happen, you're confined to home.

Where is this happening, though? What states? I looked up New York, sounds like their state parks are still open. So who has closed everything and restricted to neighborhood walking ONLY?

NedLand

thumbnail.jpg

orlandogal22

Picking up from my last edited comment, to be honest, I'm not sure if I'm keen on them extending the # of dates closed for paid-in-full and NOT extended # of dates closed for monthly payment-makers.

I'm sure something could be worked out to keep it consistent... ?

I mean, I paid for mine in full this year. However, BF is on the payment plan. So, essentially, I'm going to get extra time on my pass but he's not. Perhaps I'll have to investigate the refund option when the time is appropriate. Because I don't go to the parks by myself.

DCBaker

Premium Member
EDIT - though I just read that monthly payment folks will NOT get their passes extended by number of days closed!??!

They are getting refunded the money they paid while the parks had been closed, if they choose that option (so stop any and all upcoming payments).

If you choose the pause program, it says the passes will be extended by the number of days the parks are closed.

rowrbazzle

An inflexible belief that personal freedom always prevails regardless of the circumstances can be just as dangerous in times like these as an inflexible belief in a totalitarian state. That's why the federal and state government units have a lot more powers in a declared emergency situation like now that would otherwise go against what's stated in the Constitution - there's a practical recognition that the only way to preserve freedom in the long-term is to take certain painful actions in the short-term.

Set aside Constitutional protections for practicality? Rescind freedom as a way to somehow preserve freedom? No thanks.

I would rather be stuck in my house for a month if it meant this crisis would be shortened. You don't need a park in order to exercise lift weights, run in place, sit ups etc. plenty of ways to get exercise at home don't need a park. Sure it sucks being stuck in the house but I'd rather be in my own house than in a hospital on a ventilator.

I have been stuck at my house for a month. The numbers are still rising. I'll probably be here another month. I get it, but eventually you just want to say, "Enough. I'll take my chances." The odds are still in your favor.

orlandogal22

They are getting refunded the money they paid while the parks had been closed, if they choose that option.

If you choose the pause program, it says the passes will be extended by the number of days the parks are closed.

I see. So if you choose to be "postponed" rather than outright cancelled, they'll hit your account all at once w/ the onslaught of the "postponed" payments once they decide to open again?

I wonder if those payments would be calculated as prorated if they open mid-month or on some irregular date.

DisneyDebRob

Cuomo mentioned this yesterday on TV. NY left the parks open and asked people to just social distance. They kept having people show up to play basketball. Unless you are like me in my one year playing organized basketball and you just stand around but nobody passes you the ball, it’s not social distancing at all. They asked them to stop, but more showed up. The cops are short staffed with so many out sick. They don’t have time to police parks to make sure people are 6 feet apart. They closed the parks.
New Jersey mayor of a seashore town did the same thing. Had the boardwalk open and told the people please use social distancing. Very few listened so he closed it. Then he said I’m leaving the beaches open.. if you don’t listen this time, I’m closing them also. Kudos to him.

DCBaker

Premium Member
I see. So if you choose to be "postponed" rather than outright cancelled, they'll hit your account all at once w/ the onslaught of the "postponed" payments once they decide to open again?

I wonder if those payments would be calculated as prorated if they open mid-month or on some irregular date.

It isn't crystal clear - my understanding is your monthly pass will be extended the number of days the parks are closed, then those missed payments not made while the parks are closed will be paid starting at the original annual pass expiration date.

21stamps

New Jersey mayor of a seashore town did the same thing. Had the boardwalk open and told the people please use social distancing. Very few listened so he closed it. Then he said I’m leaving the beaches open.. if you don’t listen this time, I’m closing them also. Kudos to him.

Yes but people are talking about the waters, not just beaches. I don’t even know if it’s legal under these circumstances to prevent someone from being out on their own boat, or diving with immediate family, or again, choosing to co quarantine.. that sounds like a severe overreach.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Where is this happening, though? What states? I looked up New York, sounds like their state parks are still open. So who has closed everything and restricted to neighborhood walking ONLY?

Thank you. This is good news.

And there's your example of a park shut down. Also in the linked article above about the problems with tourists. Also, state and town beaches are essentially parks and you have already commented about them closing. And the post somewhere above about a park shutting down because people wouldn't stop playing basketball.

You should really read the posts and links provided to keep up.

Oh, and no one said neighborhood only walking is mandated. Though for some, that's probably all they can do if their local parks are closed. And many parks are closed because they can't accommodate crowds and keep social distancing.

orlandogal22

It isn't crystal clear - my understanding is your monthly pass will be extended the number of days the parks are closed, then those missed payments not made while the parks are closed will be paid starting at the original annual pass expiration date.

Interesting. I'll guess we'll just have to see. They said more information would be coming.

Let's hope it's not overly unnecessarily complicated. LOL

21stamps

And there's your example of a park shut down. Also in the linked above about the problems with tourists. Also, state and town beaches are essentially parks and you have already commented about them closing. And the post somewhere above about a park shutting down because people wouldn't stop playing basketball.

You should really read the posts and links provided to keep up.

Oh, and no one said neighborhood only walking is mandated. Though for some, that's probably all they can do if their local parks are closed. And many parks are closed because they can't accommodate crowds and keep social distancing.

Right. Not all parks, and people are not confined to their neighborhoods only.
There is no state who has made such an order.

DisneyDebRob

Yes but people are talking about the waters, not just beaches. I don’t even know if it’s legal under these circumstances to prevent someone from being out on their own boat, or diving with immediate family, or again, choosing to co quarantine.. that sounds like a severe overreach.
That is not who or what I was responding too. If you read the post I responded to, no mention of that.

MissingDisney

Michigan Governor shut down all water access.

The federal agency also reminded boaters that "routine small vessel travel for pleasure is non-essential."

Whitmer's order states: "Michiganders must stay in their homes unless they’re a part of that critical infrastructure workforce, engaged in an outdoor activity, or performing tasks necessary to the health and safety of themselves or their family, like going to the hospital or grocery store."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom