Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

natatomic

I wouldn't be 100% confident to be honest. With parks and resorts predicted to open up slowly later in the summer , the parks would have limited offerings ( aka dining, parts of resorts shuttered, limited park hours, not all venues open including entertainment, parades, fireworks ). I'm sure there are cast that work directly and behind the scenes so I say areas will be impacted including the difficult call by Disney on what gets cut / streamlined and how many staff are actually needed to work. It's strictly a business decision but it also is very personal. NOTHING is safe.

but again, why keep all salaried employees - I.e. the bosses of those they would supposedly let go? They make far more money, they aren’t unionized, and there wouldn’t be enough of them on the front lines for when that particular area reopened. They’d have to retrain and entire staff. It would make more sense to fire the salaried of area X - saves them some money when they reopen, and they aren’t unionized so they couldn’t fight for their job back - and then just transfer salaried people from various areas (just one per area) to fill the hole for that role. Leaders (for example) are always transferred around every few years anyway, and it’s still possible to run an area if you’re missing just 1-2 leaders.
And I’d like to see how the Unions would take the news if any union folk were fired while their non-unionized salaries or executive counterparts go to keep their jobs. No, I don’t think that would go over well.
I’m confident the hourly folk will just be furloughed as well. Today, at least.
I will fully admit, however, that long term, no one is safe. Maybe I didn’t make that clear, because I definitely agree with you there. But cuts would be made to salaried and no -union roles first, I think. I mean I could be wrong. But that’s what makes sense in my pea brain unless someone with more knowledge could explain why doing the opposite would make more sense. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:

phillip9698

Internet...I agree with you. Cable - Not what it once was. Cable is becoming a cassette tape.

Comcast seems to be getting their money either way. You want their internet without cable, ok you pay a premium. You want their cable without internet, ok you pay a premium. You have to have both to get a decent price on either.

FullSailDan

but again, why keep all salaried employees - I.e. the bosses of those they would supposedly let go? They make far more money, they aren’t unionized, and there wouldn’t be enough of them on the front lines for when that particular area reopened. They’d have to retrain and entire staff. It would make more sense to fire the salaried of area X - saves them some money when they reopen, and they aren’t unionized so they couldn’t fight for their job back - and then just transfer salaried people from various areas (just one per area) to fill the hole for that role. Leaders (for example) are always transferred around every few years anyway, and it’s still possible to run an area if you’re missing just 1-2 leaders.
And I’d like to see how the Unions would take the news if any union folk were fired while their non-unionized salaries or executive counterparts go to keep their jobs. No, I don’t think that would go over well.
I will fully admit, however, that long term, no one is safe. Maybe I didn’t make that clear, because I definitely agree with you there.

Continuity of operations, leaders are harder to train.

Theoretically you can work a salaried person harder without paying more.

It will be much easier to higher lower wage workers if needed upon re-opening.

Keep in mind, many of these salaried employees are not really making bank here. In 2005 a new front desk manager made just about 30K a year. Given most of Disney's leadership teams in the parks is paid based on level, it should be pretty close everywhere. I don't imagine they've seen a large pay increase relative to hourly since then. That was about 1.5 times the cost of a full time hourly employee. So laying off the salaried folks, wouldn't save a lot of hourly guys.

JoeCamel

Comcast seems to be getting their money either way. You want their internet without cable, ok you pay a premium. You want their cable without internet, ok you pay a premium. You have to have both to get a decent price on either.
That won't last much longer. Frontier bought Verizon's Fios service in this area about 6 years ago and only offered a bundle. This year they unbundled so I now have Fios/Frontier internet and over the air TV from my own antenna for less than I paid Spectrum for internet and it is faster. The days of bundles only for a good price are over.

seascape

5G will change the profit margins on internet. Yes, parts of the US will not have 5G but for 80% of us we will and as a result will play less and the ISPs will make less. Competition is great for the consumer.

DisneyDebRob

We just cut the cord and actually got a decent price from Comcast with just internet and local stations. Saving a hundred and 20 bucks a month. Is a hundred and 20 bucks still expensive for that? Probably but right now it works for us.

JoeCamel

5G will change the profit margins on internet. Yes, parts of the US will not have 5G but for 80% of us we will and as a result will play less and the ISPs will make less. Competition is great for the consumer.
When I live in a place with 5G I will know I am living in the wrong place. I just did 8 months mostly in Orlando and couldn't wait to get back out here. Your traffic is absurd.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As a stockholder, Platinum Plus passholder and DVC owner, I am upset over the layoffs of our Cast Members. Especially DVC Cast Members. We are biilled annual maintenance fees which pay for these services. Disney never asked us if we want to have them reduced or to keep paying the people who actually work for us and are paid by us. This is not money Disney should be allowed to cut because it is not their money. I do not want a refund, I want the housekeeping employees, landscapers, engineering and others to keep their jobs. Disney is wrong here. It is just wrong this is happening.
As a fellow DVC owner I would also be glad to continue paying my normal dues so the CMs could get paid. The big issue at many of the resorts is there are both hotel rooms and DVC rooms and they share workers. It may be difficult to separate the DVC CMs vs the hotel ones. The other issue is they are still keeping a skeleton crew to do security, maintenance and landscaping so those people are still getting paid. Things like housekeeping, front desk, bell services and recreation staff are probably all off at this point. The employees are also furloughed not laid off so they still get benefits which are paid out of our dues. It’s possible we will see a dip in dues from this, but they have the ability to instead put that excess into the capital reserves account for later use. I would assume that’s what they will do since it should be a 1 year dip (God willing).

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
"Vietnam has banned public gatherings of more than two people. Hong Kong has closed nightclubs, karaoke bars and mah-jongg parlors, and deployed health inspectors to check that restaurants are seating parties at least six feet apart. Singapore on Friday said that schools and nonessential businesses would close for a month, a sweeping shutdown it had avoided until now."

If you can’t have more than 2 people together does that mean I can send my kids somewhere else so someone other than me can deal with this home school crap? ;)

DisneyDebRob

As a fellow DVC owner I would also be glad to continue paying my normal dues so the CMs could get paid. The big issue is at many of the resorts is there are both hotel rooms and DVC rooms and they share workers. It may be difficult to separate the DVC CMs vs the hotel ones. The other issue is they are still keeping a skeleton crew to do security, maintenance and landscaping so those people are still getting paid. Things like housekeeping, front desk, bell services and recreation staff are probably all off at this point. The employees are also furloughed not laid off so they still get benefits which are paid out of our dues. It’s possible we will see a dip in dues from this, but they have the ability to instead put that excess into the capital reserves account for later use. I would assume that’s what they will do since it should be a 1 year dip (God willing).
I have absolutely no problem paying my dues either. If it’s helping someone collect a salary it’s fine with me.

natatomic

What is the point of saying this to her? Seriously...did you not see the part where she has two kids too? Just stop.
It’s okay, he’s not scaring me. I mean, we’re fully aware my husband could lose his job any time between now and when the park reopens. Our heads aren’t in the sand. But he also has a side trade, so he would just do that full-time if he lost his Disney job. I’m more worried over the economy as a whole than I am my husband’s job. If we end up in a depression, we’re all gonna be screwed.

21stamps

It depends what area of maintenance you are talking about. There is still a core team on-site. They aren't going to let multi-billion dollar assets rust away or become overgrown - the Magic Kingdom is no River Country.

Kings Island shared an IG post showing a ride being painted, currently.

If a Cedar Fair park still has maintenance going on, I can’t be certain, but I would think that WDW would as well.

Lilofan

I will fully admit, however, that long term, no one is safe. Maybe I didn’t make that clear, because I definitely agree with you there. But cuts would be made to salaried and no -union roles first, I think. I mean I could be wrong. But that’s what makes sense in my pea brain unless someone with more knowledge could explain why doing the opposite would make more sense. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Good points. When some of the staff do lose their jobs for different business reasons and executives still are employed that's really a normal thing. There will be critics of this of course. The direction Disney was headed in furlough wise was when the executives took a 20-30% pay cut. After all said and done not all of them ( that includes all levels) will be kept on when eventually restructuring of operations is finished. It's just logical.

21stamps

In New York and New Jersey my landscapers are still mowing the grass and pruning the bushes. I guess the states decide they are essential. Anyway if they weren't my grass would grow too high.

Same. My lawn service was here a few days ago. Fertilized and mowed. I hope most states kept them as essential.

monykalyn

(Somewhat in jest) WDW is never reopening.
Oh good gravy it’s pretty well known strong flushing lidless toilets do this. You’d think CV19 is the ONLY pathogen EVER anywhere to cause issues by the way media breathlessly hypes each “new” discovery :rolleyes:

There should be an announcement soon of Mayo Clinic coordinating clinical trial of treatment for CV19 using recovered patient plasma. DH oldest daughter is involved with helping set it up, registries etc. she’s been working 18 hour days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom