Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Too many people are focussing on DeSantis and not looking at what’s really happening in different areas in the state, particularly SoFla.

Zoe Leven, 46, tried to drive her Toyota Prius into the Keys and was stopped two separate times by deputies. She was arrested at U.S. 1 and Morris Avenue in Key Largo at 2:10 p.m. March 31.

People can do multiple things at once.

This new amendment means "Hillsborough County cannot mandate churches close their doors, a rule that drew national attention after the arrest of a Tampa megachurch pastor who held two large Sunday services."

The Hillsborough County State Attorney Andrew Warren said it’s now unclear whether churches and synagogues can hold large services with “500 people packed shoulder to shoulder.”

21stamps

This new amendment means "Hillsborough County cannot mandate churches close their doors, a rule that drew national attention after the arrest of a Tampa megachurch pastor who held two large Sunday services."

The Hillsborough County State Attorney Andrew Warren said it’s now unclear whether churches and synagogues can hold large services with “500 people packed shoulder to shoulder.”

You can find publication after publication, as well as plenty of citizens and politicians who are trying to turn this political... and you can continue to post such links in this thread.

Here’s the simple fact- It doesn’t override what has been put in place for South Florida, including the restrictions on accessing the Keys.
I know that for certain.

Jlasoon

From WSJ:

A record 6.6 million Americans applied for unemployment benefits last week as the new coronavirus struck the U.S. economy and sent a recently booming labor market into free fall.

The large number of claims was double the 3.3 million who sought benefits two weeks ago as the U.S. shut down parts of the economy in an effort to contain the virus. Jobless claims, a proxy for layoffs, provide temporary financial assistance for workers who lose their jobs.

About 6% of the U.S. labor force has filed for jobless benefits in the last two weeks, up from 0.3% at the end of February, showing the toll from the coronavirus is gripping an ever-larger share of the U.S. economy. States indicated people from an array of industries—including restaurants, retail, trade and construction—sought unemployment benefits last week.

“The speed and magnitude of the labor market’s decline is unprecedented,” said Constance Hunter, chief economist at KPMG LLP. Ms. Hunter said she expected that millions more claims will be filed in the coming weeks and projects 20 million jobs will be lost. “We didn’t see this in the global financial crisis. We didn’t see this in the Great Depression. There’s been a total decimation of consumption.”

Some politicos in DC want rolling lockdowns until late fall.

Rimmit

Will there be a time when we just say “ENOUGH, daily life must resume.”??

I have said this before and I will say it again. Life will resume When the governments action is not in line with the level of severity of our situation.

How many deaths/day at a consistent steady state that would be when the public feels a stay at home order is not warranted, I do not know. I suspect it partially depends on a combination of when our healthcare system stops being overwhelmed and a daily death toll less than 250/day nationwide. At that point the media and general public would likely feel some degree of safety in going back to their normal lives. That is a total guess. If the government at that point does not start to ease up, civil unrest could develop forcing the governments hand. However, as long as we are losing potentially a couple thousand people a day, the public will be content to stay at home.

Fear is a powerful motivator. Once the fear subsides a great deal of the the governments power to enforce these lockdowns is significantly weakened.

Last edited:

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
You can believe it - doesn't make you right.

You're talking about models in the same discussion about how to know when to stop. They won't use models to know when to stop -- They will use RESULTS.

The current peak date is all based on models. If you read through the posts, the point was that the models showed mid-April in some areas and are now showing mid-May as a result of the lock downs put in place. My question, and the point that others are trying to get across but are unable to do so because people like you are ready to jump down their throats and attack them, is if the MODELS show the peak is in August as we get closer to May, then what then? We continue to stay in doors? Obviously results will differ but you have people literally saying one thing two weeks ago and now are pushing that out BASED on the models.

Once again, not mixing anything. Stop jumping down people’s throats.

21stamps

You can believe it - doesn't make you right.

You're talking about models in the same discussion about how to know when to stop. They won't use models to know when to stop -- They will use RESULTS.

You’re misunderstanding. The stay at home orders are in place based on projections for the peak hospital capacity... trying to flatten the curve as much as possible.

21stamps

The current peak date is all based on models. If you read through the posts, the point was that the models showed mid-April in some areas and are now showing mid-May as a result of the lock downs put in place. My question, and the point that others are trying to get across but are unable to do so because people like you are ready to jump down their throats and attack them, is if the MODELS show the peak is in August as we get closer to May, then what then? We continue to stay in doors? Obviously results will differ but you have people literally saying one thing two weeks ago and now are pushing that out BASED on the models.

Once again, not mixing anything. Stop jumping down people’s throats.

Jinx. Lol.

Exactly.

Thelazer

How many deaths/day at a consistent steady state that would be when the public feels a stay at home order is not warranted, I do not know.

It's not deaths per day, it's can you afford to go thru the mcdonalds drive thru? Can you pay the rent this month? Is your cell phone bill shut off for non payment. Did you end up having domestic issues in your house from being cooped up... those are the things it will take and trust me.. all of that and worse is coming.

DisneyCane

I hope that this post isn't construed as political. I'm simply citing the text of the constitution in presenting my opinion. If the mods disagree, feel free to remove but my intention is not to discuss politics, it is to discuss law.

I have been one to question the constitutionality of a lot of the measures that have been put in place. I don't think it can be disputed that it is unconstitutional to ban worship services. Amendment I is pretty explicit.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. "

The other actions can be argued because they are restricting business activities, etc. which the constitution doesn't explicitly spell out. With respect to worship services (or political gatherings), the constitution forbids restriction.

Possibly they could force the services to be held outdoors using occupancy and fire code regulations as some kind of legal precedent.

DisneyCane

As we’ve seen elsewhere in the developed world, you either grow another brain cell or are forced to be compliant.

I believe you are in the UK. In the USA, I truly believe that at some point there will be legal challenges to these actions and many of them will be found to be unconstitutional. At the moment, people are complying for the most part because we accept the goal of "flattening the curve." The issue will be if we are into the tail of the curve and they keep extending the end date. At that point, people won't comply. The more practical of us will file lawsuits and not just start a civil disobedience campaign.

Lilofan

Political Discussion is not allowed outside of the correct forum
Things are going to start to brew soon. Though the official order is thru May 1, they’ve already strongly hinted that it faces a high probability of being extended.
If that happens, I just don’t think that people will remain compliant.
The National Guard can be called in to restore law and order and martial law can be declared if people want to test the system and not remain compliant. If you have been ever tear gassed, it sucks.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

Maybe "they've" finally decided to come down and save us. But then again....It is "The Daily Star"

Some levity guys and gals. Without it we'd be madder than a hatter. Especially as cooped up as we find ourselves.

LittleBuford

The argument that people won’t comply for more than a few weeks is really puzzling to me. Why wouldn’t they? This isn’t the first time society has had to make sacrifices for the greater good. The current restrictions may be unprecedented for most of us, but those who lived through WW2 put up with far worse for much longer.

Jlasoon

The argument that people won’t comply for more than a few weeks is really puzzling to me. Why wouldn’t they? This isn’t the first time society has had to make sacrifices for the greater good. The current restrictions may be unprecedented for most of us, but those who lived through WW2 put up with far worse for much longer.

If the result is you & your family becoming comfortable with the neighborhood park bench - I can see people not complying.

Virtual Toad

Everyone seriously needs to chill. This thread has totally strayed off topic and is now bordering on the incendiary. Which is somewhat less than responsible, no?

Keep cool and remember that we are ultimately-- for better or worse-- all in this together.

Disney has tried to show us all the value of imagination. If you'd like to join me, I'm off to imagine myself drifting down the lazy river at Typhoon Lagoon. Because finding any happy place I can-- real or imaginary-- has never been more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom