Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

I am not under a state order, but I am under a city/county order to shelter in place until April 7th. However, I believe they are going to be voting to extend that out from what I am hearing...

I’m assuming that will be til 5/1 as well, based on the federal recommendations. Please post an update if it’s shorter than that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think the point is technically, if we keep pushing out the 'peak' date for this, then when does it actually end? If the 'peak' date without social distancing was April, but now the 'peak' date with social distancing is late July (once again, these are all based off models), do we all stay home through July? What happens if the peak ends up in September or October?

You're mixing things together to server your own predisposed conclusion.

One is a PREDICTION of when things will be the worse... the other is a MEASUREMENT of reality.

We'll know the peak because the data - not the models - will show things declining.

DCBaker

Premium Member
So, for those that say Mayors and city leaders should be making decisions?

"Hours after Gov. Ron DeSantis issued a statewide stay-at-home order Wednesday, he quietly signed a second order to override restrictions put in place by local governments to halt the spread of coronavirus.

The second order states that new state guidelines that take effect Friday morning “shall supersede any conflicting official action or order issued by local officials in response to COVID-19.” In other words, local governments cannot place any limitations that would be more strict than the statewide guidelines."

"DeSantis signed the second order at 6:36 p.m. — just five hours after he signed the statewide stay-at-home directive. But unlike that first action — which DeSantis unveiled at a well-attended press conference that aired on the state’s cable channel and was sent out in a press release — there was no announcement about the signing of the second order, no press release.

Instead, it was quietly added to the governor’s website."

Last edited:

hopemax

I think the point is technically, if we keep pushing out the 'peak' date for this, then when does it actually end? If the 'peak' date without social distancing was April, but now the 'peak' date with social distancing is late July (once again, these are all based off models), do we all stay home through July? What happens if the peak ends up in September or October?

The models predict the peak date of deaths in April. And by June 1, 91,000 people will have died. By August 1, the model predicts only 2500 more deaths (only!). That's 97.5% by June, 2.5% June-August.

Basically, the horses are all out of the barn. By June 1, the vast majority will have been corralled (resolve) on their own. The 10% still out there running around will have to be dealt with. But you can handle corralling 10% a lot easier than 100%. In June, we should be able to identify communities that still have clusters, lock down only those communities, aggressively test within that community, identify vectors early, and isolate. Communities that don't have clusters should be able to reopen. As long as people stay within their community. So no traveling, no congregating with people from a thousand different places (like WDW). Functions that happen within a 1, 5 10 mile radius can start to happen, things that make people move hundreds and thousands of miles can't. In June, we can be South Korea.

DisneyCane

That's the reality people are facing. Experts say it could be 47 million unemployed. There will come a day when the unemployment benefits run out. There will come a day when evictions have to happen because people just flat out have no other avenue to turn down and people will be out of their homes, with kids and loved ones, trying to figure out what to do next.

This is why there needs to be some kind of pragmatic approach and a plan to get the economy started again. I understand the immediate focus is to try and hold down the number of new infections and minimize the deaths but this type of mitigation is not sustainable for longer than another month or maybe two.

The government can't just keep printing/borrowing money to keep people going. Looking at things simplistically, the currency of any country is essentially backed by the economy/productivity. If you have no economy then the currency will eventually be worthless.

I don't know if the answer is wearing masks, temperature screening or what but I do know that there needs to be a plan to return to some level of normalcy before the summer. Also, to keep people from losing it, the plan should be talked about now and the milestones (statistical and technological) that will trigger phases of the plan should be made known.

RoyalPrinceLeon

So, for those that say Mayors and city leader should be making decisions?

"Hours after Gov. Ron DeSantis issued a statewide stay-at-home order Wednesday, he quietly signed a second order to override restrictions put in place by local governments to halt the spread of coronavirus.

The second order states that new state guidelines that take effect Friday morning “shall supersede any conflicting official action or order issued by local officials in response to COVID-19.” In other words, local governments cannot place any limitations that would be more strict than the statewide guidelines."

"DeSantis signed the second order at 6:36 p.m. — just five hours after he signed the statewide stay-at-home directive. But unlike that first action — which DeSantis unveiled at a well-attended press conference that aired on the state’s cable channel and was sent out in a press release — there was no announcement about the signing of the second order, no press release.

Instead, it was quietly added to the governor’s website."

Does this mean he override any local rules the conflict with the state rules or that the whole state has to follow his rules?

21stamps

Now Dr Acton is describing what the other side of the curve will look like... gradual openings, gradual loosening of social distancing restrictions, still at risk of hospitals being overwhelmed for many months to come. “It will be a slow process.”

This is not ending anytime soon. Life will not be normal in a month’s time.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Political Discussion is not allowed outside of the correct forum
So, for those that say Mayors and city leader should be making decisions?

There is merit to the question of 'is one size fits all' appropriate... especially when your state is very diverse and not necessarily facing the same issues. We have the same question in VA... very rural areas out in the west are dramatically different from the urban areas of NOVA.

But the FL orders have been garbage from the start.. lacking teeth, making wierd claims, full of loopholes, etc. This action defined here is even more curious.. hopefully the press will challenge him hard in his next Presser...

davis_unoxx

My mom's boss came into work with a fever, chills, and cough. Spent the whole day there because there was a lot of work to get done. Tested for covid: positive. Selfish and idiotic.

My father has copd, bad. On continuous oxygen, inhalers, etc. This type of selfish behavior is what gets people killed.
I smell a potential lawsuit...

21stamps

this type of mitigation is not sustainable for longer than another month or maybe two.

This statement is a lot more optimistic than my prediction. 2 more months would be 3.5 months of the mitigation we’re seeing now.
I don’t see how that is sustainable.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The government can't just keep printing/borrowing money to keep people going. Looking at things simplistically, the currency of any country is essentially backed by the economy/productivity. If you have no economy then the currency will eventually be worthless.

Simply put... eventually you hit a point where the normal rules can no longer apply. You potentially mortgage the future to just scrap together what you can now. Yes, all this has immense repercussions. That's why politicians were slow to make such moves. But they did it because they know the NOW is more critical than the future.... because without the NOW there is no future.

Go watch Independence Day if you need it broken down into entertainment form.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
No disrespect intended but, I don't know if to cringe, or laugh.

(Not guilty, btw!)

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

The real problem were all the authorities hedging their lockdowns week by week and constantly extending them. All one had to do was look at the other countries that got hit first and realize this was going to be a full two-month lockdown.

So you think telling the public to stock up 2 months of food would have been better than telling them to stock two weeks' worth of food and supplies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom