Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polynesia

I ho
From what I've gathered, they don't believe it will stop it altogether, but rather it would slow the rate of "community spread." However, there are other experts who believe the impact will be negligible. Another instance where we just don't have the data to confirm one way or the other. Living in Florida, I hope it slows the spread though!
i hope it slows it, too. Supposedly the droplets in the air don’t last as long creating less transmission.

21stamps

Well, 10M out of work in the last 2 weeks - Car sales fell off a cliff in March - Boeing looking at 'voluntary buyouts' for 160,000 employees, 60% of all planes around the world are grounded, cruise ships grounded, stay at home orders everywhere, local businesses decimated.

I hope it was worth it Dr. Fauci - Remember, those same people who are now unemployed or find themselves with reduced work hours & reduced pay are the same people we need for a bounce back. Ugly!

To add a comment about cars.. There will be a shortage soon.

Jlasoon

If more thought like you, we'd all be in worse shape beyond belief death count wise.

It's easy to hide behind - 'We'd be in worst shape'.

I've worked financial markets for decades. What's unfolding in this country & around the world makes me want to cry. The current devastation & shock to our financial system is immeasurable & beyond extreme. Equity markets are always hit first, unemployment comes second (happening as we speak), liquidity will start drying up as more & more people including business can't meet obligations, & housing will follow. This ain't a joke - and it's definitely not a car - you don't just hit the 'start' button and 'voila', economic growth! This is a self-induced government mandated depression. We're looking at 20% unemployment - companies that I love such as Disney are in for a world of hurt - they're already bleeding too much cash. Small business bankruptcy rates have already hit double digits in Central Florida. Local .gov has no idea what to do. They're all scared.

And you know what won't be reported by the media when this is all said and done? The death count from 10 years of economic 'malaise'.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
True, but we're a long way from that perfect workplace environment - across every industry and in every part of the world.

In the meantime, I would shy away from branding innocent people stuck in that "system" as being "selfish." ;)

I generally would agree with you...but the scenario laid out is somebody’s boss did this LAST WEEK because they had “too much to do”

Sorry...that is selfish In the context of this environment. Applied to this example.

Even if she had the flu...spreading that to another could weaken a person and provide a synergistic effect to someone if they were then to get corona on their own.

It ain’t right.

hopemax

Well, 10M out of work in the last 2 weeks - Car sales fell off a cliff in March - Boeing looking at 'voluntary buyouts' for 160,000 employees, 60% of all planes around the world are grounded, cruise ships grounded, stay at home orders everywhere, local businesses decimated.

I hope it was worth it Dr. Fauci - Remember, those same people who are now unemployed or find themselves with reduced work hours & reduced pay are the same people we need for a bounce back. Ugly!
Boeing, the Airlines and the Cruise ships were going to get hit whether Americans stayed home or not. Too much of their business is global. Not at Dr Fauci’s feet. We know how damaging the cascade was from the collapse of a couple financial companies, let’s not pretend this would have had an alternative economic outcome. That’s why I liken this to a house on fire. The house is already a loss. We are only deciding whether we try to save some of the people trapped inside or not.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Accuracy is controlled by how it is used, on a wet or reflective surface it is not accurate and the people doing the scan have to use it properly. On another note I am getting ads for infrared security cameras to be used for mass temperature screening.

Now I'm picturing virus robots swooping down from the ceiling and pulling the sick out of crowd to be placed in quarantine containers (one cargo container tiny homes) for 2 weeks.

I’m not disputing that instinct at all...which is why I am blaming a “system” that punishes people valuing their paycheck/job status over their health and those around them - which is healthy production of the employer as well.

There also a cultural thing where people are patted on the back for powering through sickness. Peer pressure is really effective. If coming into work sick is frowned upon by most after this it will have a big impact.

MickeyLuv'r

Well put.

2. American “exceptionalism” has been weaponized. My entire life I have watch dismissal of societies that taught us much of what the principles we value as “our own”...and we dismiss those countries we are inevitably tied too.

Ok...back to park ops 😉

A stunning tidbit I learned ages ago: many of the little pearls of wisdom that supposedly from Poor Richard's Almanac, attributed to Ben Franklin, actually LONG predate him.

Most were old sayings that were straight out of Latin lessons of the day. Learners of Latin had to translate the sayings in their lessons.

Some these sayings live on in our culture today:

No pain; no gain.

Trouble springs from idleness and grievous toil form needless ease.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

Jlasoon

Boeing, the Airlines and the Cruise ships were going to get hit whether Americans stayed home or not. Too much of their business is global. Not at Dr Fauci’s feet. We know how damaging the cascade was from the collapse of a couple financial companies, let’s not pretend this would have had an alternative economic outcome. That’s why I liken this to a house on fire. The house is already a loss. We are only deciding whether we try to save some of the people trapped inside or not.

Beautiful paragraph! Only one problem, the people getting hit the hardest right now are small business. Not sure small business can tap billion dollar credit lines.

Do you know how many people cruise lines employ directly & indirectly in the state of FL?

Disney Analyst

It's funny. I am sad for those struggling, for small business and the like. But I am also not sad that the economy is tanking... Like, we are all in the same boat. It's our system, we created it. Put it on pause, don't allow anyone to starve, or lose their business, and let's focus on the real issue.... saving lives.

I hope my mindset makes sense. I just have a hard time being upset, I know it is scary... but this is all out of our control/hands, so I can only focus on or be upset about the things I can control.

LittleBuford

I've worked financial markets for decades. What's unfolding in this country & around the world makes me want to cry. The current devastation & shock to our financial system is immeasurable & beyond extreme. Equity markets are always hit first, unemployment comes second (happening as we speak), liquidity will start drying up as more & more people including business can't meet obligations, & housing will follow. This ain't a joke - and it's definitely not a car - you don't just hit the 'start' button and 'voila', economic growth! This is a self-induced government mandated depression. We're looking at 20% unemployment - companies that I love such as Disney are in for a world of hurt - they're already bleeding too much cash. Small business bankruptcy rates have already hit double digits in Central Florida. Local .gov has no idea what to do. They're all scared.

And you know what won't be reported by the media when this is all said and done? The death count from 10 years of economic 'malaise'.

What would your response to the crisis be, then? Can you suggest an alternative strategy?

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
It's funny. I am sad for those struggling, for small business and the like. But I am also not sad that the economy is tanking... Like, we are all in the same boat. It's our system, we created it. Put it on pause, don't allow anyone to starve, or lose their business, and let's focus on the real issue.... saving lives.

I hope my mindset makes sense. I just have a hard time being upset, I know it is scary... but this is all out of our control/hands, so I can only focus on or be upset about the things I can control.

We have ventured far into the political side at this point so I know we're all about to get a slap on the wrist.

Government is not stepping up to do that. Absent that, people are going to starve, businesses will go under, and the thought of saving lives takes a back burner because many could be in that same predicament (losing their lives in addition to their livelihood) without actually having the virus.

MickeyLuv'r

Crazy seeing the US numbers, 6 days ago the US became highest with 85,000 cases. I know this is due to better and more frequent testing. But just nuts. Really shines the light that China is fudging their numbers

We don't know that for sure.
It may well be that human genetic variation is at play.

Just as some bacterial are resistant to antibiotics, and some roaches aren't killed by certain pesticides, some people will have greater immunity to this. Even 100 years later, we still don't know why some people were immune to the 1918 flu.

MissingDisney

Ya know what makes me actually cry? The friends and colleagues I’ve already lost to this horrific virus.
$ < people‘s lives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom