Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flugell

As a citizen of the U.K. I have to say that all the Americans I have met personally have been delightful and charming, and are one of the main attractions in returning to Florida and WDW as frequently as money will allow. However the claim that the USA has helped out more than any other country on the the planet is, in my opinion, somewhat exaggerated and patronising. The U.K. have stood with you when others chose not to and there are occasions that the special relationship has not been reciprocated, on both sides. Yes the USA is a great country but so are many others............ I am not denying that the USA have helped but so have many other countries ....even when the USA did not. I realise that this may be too provocative and political for this forum. However it is intended to remind us that this is a WORLD pandemic and if we are to see the earliest possible return to a near normality and the longed for opening of WDW we need to work together and not points score across the continents. Stay home, stay safe and be kind to each other!

DCBaker

Premium Member
27 new deaths reported in FL from the update last night to the 11:30am update today.

Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 11.49.54 AM.png

Here is a link to the Florida DOH dashboard for current information -

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Agreed! As you imply, there's no reason now to issue I-told-you-sos to those who may have been slow to process the facts, or who actively chose to rebrand-and-dismiss all expressions of caution as "panic," although it was dismaying to see some of those arguments devolve into ad hominem attacks. At that time, there were a number of influencers on the national stage who were actively promoting those views to their followers, and accepting difficult truths is not easy for any of us.

Without 'I told you so' -- people can still have a retrospective. We don't learn and improve if we don't assess ourselves objectively and look to learn from an experience. See what things you may have dismissed... was it for the right reason? What things did we trust, was it really for the right reason? What was fact driven vs platform, etc.

Point being.. history is still very valuable no matter if you 'guessed right or wrong'. People have a ton to gain if they review and look at thoughts and processes after the fact and be willing to be critical of 'what worked or not'. Not so much about 'what answer was ultimately correct' - but how each worked.

It's a methodology we use in team lead development. After each project we hold a retrospective and the critical element is that we are open to changing what we do... based on our assessment of what we have done. That's the most critical thing for people... don't focus on 'was I right or wrong' - but be willing to adapt based on what we saw working or not.

Not a sermon... just a thought :)

Brer Oswald

Remember the Swine Flu? Remember how bad that got? Did the parks close then? The major difference between that and this is how much more mainstream social media is, and how much more prone the younger generations have been to overreact because of it. WW3 was declared to be happening just this January.
It seems like someone read back and had the audacity to laugh at this. A lot has happened in the past month, and I was clearly wrong about the parks not closing.

And while this crisis is certainly worse than I thought, I’ll double down on what I said about social and even news media for that matter.

10% helpful facts
90% useless and negative energy

That 90% is dividing us in a time where we need to stick together. It’s time to cut the crap people.

JoeCamel

Depends which was used. I take my temp at home before work, and the nontouch they use at work is within .1 degree and hour later.
Accuracy is controlled by how it is used, on a wet or reflective surface it is not accurate and the people doing the scan have to use it properly. On another note I am getting ads for infrared security cameras to be used for mass temperature screening.

Touchdown

Depends which was used. I take my temp at home before work, and the nontouch they use at work is within .1 degree and hour later.

Its also highly dependent on the air temperature. It’s all well and good if the outdoor temperature is close to the indoor temperature. However if it is hot, what will happen is your skin will increase blood flow near your surface to cool your body off and when you arrive at your job your temperature will be falsely elevated, obviously the opposite happens in cold weather.

orlandogal22

Its also highly dependent on the air temperature. It’s all well and good if the outdoor temperature is close to the indoor temperature. However if it is hot, what will happen is your skin will increase blood flow near your surface to cool your body off and when you arrive at your job your temperature will be falsely elevated, obviously the opposite happens in cold weather.

Also, a perfectly healthy woman's temp can be typically a tiny bit higher around ovulation; that is, a low-grade fever.

(TMI? 🤪 )

It's a slippery slope to go down for sure...

Timmay

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Is Hobby Lobby an essential retailer? Some forced to close because of COVID-19 shelter-in-place orders

This guy just doesn’t get it. Now he’s claiming he’s “essential “ because he got in a few masks and educational materials. Glad they are taking strong action against him.
My wife works at a store that is doing curb side pick up only. They do sell needed educational materials and moving a lot of those out the door. They have some guidelines in place. Work is of course compensated, but purely voluntary.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

Ravenclaw78

Has anyone gone back and started reading this thread from the original post? It's kinda stunning to read the conviction with which some folks posted that this was not going to be a big deal. Sure, hindsight is 20/20, but just a thought... when discussing matters of health or life/death, we should probably avoid giving advice or making an argument on a topic we know nothing about. Just sayin' because people are literally dying due to either themselves, or others being too casual with the dangers of this situation.

Btw, I'm not attacking anyone. I understand that we've never seen anything like this, but some of the early posts surprised me since this is the first time I've clicked on this thread.
One particular major US news source's "talking heads" spent the first two months of the outbreak insisting that it was a hoax or blown way out of proportion. Many viewers of that network believed them, or at least failed to recognize the severity of the situation due to the incorrect information being provided to them and their bias against other news services that were reporting more accurately. They're taking it more seriously now, though even still they're going with a narrative that the economic damage from stay-at-home orders vastly outweighs the impact of the hundreds of thousands or even millions of deaths we'd have without social distancing remaining in place.

Lilofan

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Medical grade infrared thermometers are accurate enough according to the FDA and NIH, providing they're used correctly. They take into account the ambient temperature of the room, so, you can't use them where there is wind or breezes. The skin needs to be dry (wet skin is obviously cooler thanks to evaporation). And they need to be at the correct distance from the target (some models have converging light beams to achieve the proper distance).

Jlasoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom