Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

Political Discussion is not allowed outside of the correct forum
And somehow our Governor (FL) still will not issue the order statewide.

When all the dust settles, we’ll be able to look back and see what the right call was- Statewide, or leave it up to individual mayors.. and when actions were taken.

We’ll have plenty of examples to study. It’s also a great example of how the government works in this country, a good reminder of how local/state/federal have their own roles and also communicate and work together.

Right now though, we don’t know the right or wrong decisions of each.

ImperfectPixie

When all the dust settles, we’ll be able to look back and see what the right call was- Statewide, or leave it up to individual mayors.. and when actions were taken.

We’ll have plenty of examples to study. It’s also a great example of how the government works in this country, a good reminder of how local/state/federal have their own roles and also communicate and work together.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Cuomo was late to the game and poor NY is getting hammered. We can also look to how countries who are further ahead in the arc responded and the corresponding results.

21stamps

I don’t understand that. I wish he would just order statewide so we can get moving on this. Hopefully it’s coming. I believe that orange and Osceola counties stay at home orders will be extended to April 30. It makes sense

I understand it. He’s allowing individual areas to make their own decisions based on what’s happening in their area.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes

The issue is with the lack of uniformity, you end up with the risk of potentially extending this further out than necessary. If you're someone under a lockdown and others aren't that live in a county over from you, there's still a chance they can contaminate your county or bring it to their county and thus cause a longer lockdown. In addition, there's animosity building because you're taking the time to do the right thing, legally, and could be punished as the result of another county not enacting it sooner.

We should've just this country down two-three weeks ago and just get it over with.

hopemax

I don’t understand that. I wish he would just order statewide so we can get moving on this. Hopefully it’s coming. I believe that orange and Osceola counties stay at home orders will be extended to April 30. It makes sense

DeSantis said, that he asked the White House Coronavirus Task Force if they would recommend a state order. They have not recommended it, so he is not doing it. If you are looking for something in FL to change, you will need to look farther north, since DeSantis is deferring to them.

Rimmit

Although I agree, I can understand why no administration prepared for this no matter who was President or which party held the house, senate or both.

Nothing like this has happened since 1918/1919 with the Spanish flu. I can understand why, starting a few decades later, nobody would think it would be necessary.

Even experts that thought a pandemic was possible never envisioned a disease that could be very serious and deadly for a small, but significant percentage of patients but also have extremely mild symptoms (or no symptoms) in a large percentage and, at the same time, be highly contagious. It is a truly unprecedented situation.

Yep. For those that deal with safety basically this disease nailed the “Swiss cheese model” of pandemic viruses. For those not involved in Root Cause Analysis and safety evaluations, basically the “Swiss cheese model” is when there are many safeguards in place to prevent an event from occurring but everything has to line up just perfectly for that outcome to happen or if using Swiss cheese slices, fall through the holes in cheese slices to get to the bottom.

This virus beat every safeguard.

1.) Asymptomatic spread - Not only allows transmission without killing the host, but also allows people to be go about their daily lives thinking they are healthy when in fact they are infecting others.
2.) Long incubation period - Allows host to spread disease for long periods of time without symptoms
3.) Human to Human transmission - This is obviously vital to continue the epidemic otherwise if you eliminate the source you stop new infections. Many forget back in Jan. This was still believed to be a disease only found in people who visited the Wuhan wet market.
4.) Droplet transmission - Unlike HIV which is sexually transmitted or Hep A which requires touching a contaminated surface you only need be in vicinity of someone with this to catch it.
5.) Low death rate - While 1 percent isn’t great it is still relatively low in the grand scheme of things. The deadlier something is, the harder it is for the host to transmit as they die before transmitting it to anyone. Hence Part of the reason MERS and Ebola had such a hard time taking off.
6.) Not température dependent - Given outbreaks in warm humid climates, Such as New Orleans, FL, HK, and Philippines it’s safe to say this doesn’t follow a flu seasonal pattern despite everyone at the beginning saying this would be done once spring and summer hit. This allows it to spread unopposed at all times of the year without a break.

Every single safeguard we had against this virus landed on the wrong side of the coin.... and here we are. In a worldwide war against an invisible enemy.

ImperfectPixie

DeSantis, said last week, that he asked the White House Coronavirus Task Force if they would recommend a state order. They have not recommended it, so he is not doing it. If you are looking for something in FL to change, you will need to look farther north, since DeSantis is deferring to them.
He's looking for a way to pass the buck for blame. The Federal Government cannot tell a state to lock down. DeSantis needs to look to other governors if he wants an opinion...and they're all shutting down.

The Mom

Premium Member
It's sad it's taken this long for JAX to announced this.

These have actually been in effect for much longer. I think this is to put some "teeth" in the restrictions, as I have noticed a few non-essential businesses still open in my neighborhood. A couple of local second hand stores were still open - even while the hair salon, bar, and yoga studio in the same strip mall were closed, and the restaurant across the street was take-out only.

So, the majority of businesses were honoring the original social distancing orders - but now they will be mandatory with fines and jail time possible for those ignoring them.

Virtual Toad

I understand it. He’s allowing individual areas to make their own decisions based on what’s happening in their area.
Except that the virus does not respect municipal borders. Jacksonville-- a sizable city with more than 890 thousand residents-- dragged its feet for far too long. That will have a tangible negative impact on the entire state, region and possibly the country.

Sure, it's just one city. But multiply Jacksonville's inaction by all the other slow-to-react cities around the country, and then remind yourself that the virus spreads-- and kills-- exponentially.

The governor issuing an order for the entire state would immediately save lives. Doing it days or weeks ago would have forced the hand of irresponsible communities and prevented them from dragging their feet.

Every day we argue about and delay the inevitable does nothing more than make matters exponentially worse.

ETA: Apparently my comments may have been misconstrued as political in nature. For anyone who thought that, I sincerely apologize. My frustration with the Florida Governor comes from experience in municipal government (in a party-neutral environment) and was not intended to portray or reflect upon political views. I see this as an emergency health crisis, not as a political crisis. Again, I apologize if my comments have been misconstrued as political as that was definitely not my intent.

Last edited:

Virtual Toad

DeSantis said, that he asked the White House Coronavirus Task Force if they would recommend a state order. They have not recommended it, so he is not doing it. If you are looking for something in FL to change, you will need to look farther north, since DeSantis is deferring to them.

Except that a member of the White House task force actually did reach out to state officials-- urging them to issue a blanket stay-at-home order. From the Tampa Bay Times:

"Ali Mokdad, a professor at the University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, said he told Florida’s top health official Monday night that the governor should issue a blanket stay-at-home order mandating the closure of non-essential businesses and social isolation in order to control the spread of the virus. This is the kind of blanket decree that Gov. Ron DeSantis has so far insisted is unnecessary.

When a reporter at a news conference Tuesday asked DeSantis about the Times/Herald story, the governor expressed surprise and said the White House’s coronavirus task force hadn’t made that recommendation to him."

ImperfectPixie

Except that the virus does not respect municipal borders. Jacksonville-- a sizable city with more than 890 thousand residents-- dragged its feet for far too long. That will have a tangible negative impact on the entire state, region and possibly the country.

Sure, it's just one city. But multiply Jacksonville's inaction by all the other slow-to-react cities around the country, and then remind yourself that the virus spreads-- and kills-- exponentially.

The governor issuing an order for the entire state would immediately save lives. Doing it days or weeks ago would have forced the hand of irresponsible communities and prevented them from dragging their feet.

Every day we argue about and delay the inevitable does nothing more than make matters exponentially worse.
Yup. Just look at NY and NJ. I'm waiting for a big rise to happen in Boston, too. 😔

MissingDisney

I don't know any of you personally, but I love this forum.

I live in the NY/NJ/CT metro area. One of my best friends was just killed by the Chinese/Wuhan/COVID-19/Coronavirus. He was only 36 years old. He didn't know how he got it. He was tested and told to self-quarantine, which he did. 9 days later, this past Saturday he had bad breathing problems and decided to to the Emergency Room. It was too late.

He died yesterday. Alone. I loved my good friend/little brother dearly.

We can't even mourn him properly, as only limited numbers of people can gather...even for funerals.

PLEASE FIGHT THIS IN YOUR OWN LIVES LIKE A WAR! PLEASE FIGHT FOR YOURSELF & YOUR LOVED ONES! STAY HOME! DISINFECT OFTEN!

Sending love & prayers to you all.
I am so sorry for your loss and know your pain. Our friend‘s wife and children were not allowed to see him once he entered the emergency room due to possible exposure. They couldn’t even say goodbye. He was 40.
Our neighbor’s grandchild, a teenager, was with nurses when he passed while his parents/grandparents begged to see him. They were willing to take the risk but obviously the hospital couldn’t allow it.

Touchdown

i doubt international travel into the US is going to be allowed for a long time due to multiple reasons:

1. COVID is blowing up in the Southern Hemisphere which is about to experience winter, suggesting there will be a seasonal cycle to this. The best way to prevent it bouncing back to the US will be a travel ban.

2. This is ravaging the world, most estimates suggest a US peak in late April/Early May and the outbreak being contained by June. Americans are going to want to avoid this happening again.

3. Our current President is predisposed to close borders for any reason and will likely keep these restrictions in place until long after experts tell him it’s no longer needed (I’m not trying to be political and not going to commentate on this but like it or not this is a fact.)

Unless we find an effective treatment, develop a vaccine or have a change in leadership the US will be continue to be closed to international visitors. Seeing as all but one of those things has no realistic chance of happening this calendar year (treatment, the election while it happens this year does not take effect until January of 2021) I think that any international guests should assume they will not be going to WDW this year.

Last edited:

21stamps

ETA: Apparently my comments may have been misconstrued as political in nature. For anyone who thought that, I sincerely apologize. My frustration with the Florida Governor comes from experience in municipal government (in a party-neutral environment) and was not intended to portray or reflect upon political views. I see this as an emergency health crisis, not as a political crisis. Again, I apologize if my comments have been misconstrued as political as that was definitely not my intent.

Agree on the politics portion... I wasn’t trying to sound political either. I think it’s interesting how different governors and mayors are choosing to handle it.. and I think it will be interesting to learn from when it’s all said and done. Even looking at outside the USA as well. That’s all my post was about, apologies if it sounded like something else.

Ohio has been the most proactive out of any state in the USA, and really more proactive than any other country has been, to my knowledge.
Was it enough? When will the restrictions end?
These questions remain unanswered at this time.

flynnibus

Premium Member
British Airways will suspend all flights to and from London's Gatwick airport amid a collapse in demand due to the coronavirus.

Gatwick is the main UK airport that serves flights to Orlando for British Airways.

but.. but... people need to think about their vacations...

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom