Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

View attachment 459607

This is promising.

A thermometer company with access to online connectedness of their devices can 'see' where the fevers are. They are currently dropping in frequency almost everywhere.

The big take away is that pleas for hygiene and restrictions on crowds weren't as effective as a lockdown. Lockdowns have immediate results.

Keep in mind CV is still spreading and the number of critical cases and deaths are piling up. Just not as fast once lockdowns are in place.

I had no idea people had “smart thermometers”. Lol

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Sorry MrP, as much as I try to follow on English phrases and popular sayings, I still miss on some. What does this mean? 🙂

From a Twilight Zone episode there was a boy with reality bending powers of whom everyone in the small town was afraid. If you crossed him, he would turn you into a horrible 'thing'. His mother would beg him to 'wish' the 'thing' into the 'corn field' so they wouldn't have to look at it.

So, sending things to the corn field is an idiom for instantly making horrible things disappear with ultimate power.

Like political posts outside the Politics forum.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
From a Twilight Zone episode there was a boy with reality bending powers of whom everyone in the small town was afraid. If you crossed him, he would turn into a horrible 'thing'. His mother would beg him to 'wish' the 'thing' into the 'corn field' so they wouldn't have to look at it.

So, sending things to the corn field is an idiom for instantly making horrible things disappear with ultimate power.

1585611268283.png

Patcheslee

BTW try to keep at 10 foot distance just to be safer than 6 feet.
I'd be happy with 3ft space at this point, multiple times I've had coworkers getting to the point of touching me or elbowing me. Considering my job means me doing solo work, it's literally just looking over my shoulder because they don't have anything to do. It bugged me before this with people not giving personal space which they thought was amusing, now it's just ridiculous to continue.

21stamps

Off topic
On another note.. I joked a week ago about my son’s dental appointment being cancelled. I received an email today, after DeWine’s announcement, that his Dentist’s office is now closed thru April. We were told that it was imperative to have 4 teeth pulled in March, that the adult teeth above those teeth are coming in severely incorrectly, because the baby teeth aren’t coming out..basically they are being forced to go sideways and harming the surrounding teeth as well. Pulling the other teeth would allow them to come in correctly, and save major corrections later on.

I’m sure we’re not the only family who needs that type of work... I guess we all just shrug our shoulders and let the damage be done?

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
From a Twilight Zone episode there was a boy with reality bending powers of whom everyone in the small town was afraid. If you crossed him, he would turn you into a horrible 'thing'. His mother would beg him to 'wish' the 'thing' into the 'corn field' so they wouldn't have to look at it.

Ah yes, I remember that Twilight Zone episode. Got it, thanks.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My company just 'canceled' our 30,000 person global sales conference that is held in Vegas every year in end of August and moving it to virtual. Now... this isn't solely about covid as they keep toying with undoing it each year... but think about that chunk of business disappearing from Vegas. It normally takes over all of Belligo and MGM's convention facilities... utilizes fleets of buses to shuttle people between the 6 or so hotels it swamps, etc.

Now think how many companies are making similar decisions... and how far out the impact is from those choices.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
My company just 'canceled' our 30,000 person global sales conference that is held in Vegas every year in end of August and moving it to virtual. Now... this isn't solely about covid as they keep toying with undoing it each year... but think about that chunk of business disappearing from Vegas. It normally takes over all of Belligo and MGM's convention facilities... utilizes fleets of buses to shuttle people between the 6 or so hotels it swamps, etc.

Now think how many companies are making similar decisions... and how far out the impact is from those choices.

I had a couple of conferences cancel too. Got 1 at the Venetian (LAS Convention Center) in Oct. Not cancelled yet. Corp/Business Travel is in a bad way right now.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I keep looking for conventions at the luxury resorts at WDW so I can sign myself up at the cheap conventioneers' room rate!

Get in early at Gartner. It's funny. One of the best trips I had - was at Dolphin. Didn't know it - MLB was holding Owners meetings. My wife couldn't understand why I wanted to "hang around" the hotel.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

Would you like another church example with real cases?
"A patient in Arlington County was "associated with Christ Church in Georgetown," where Washington, D.C.'s, earliest cases were found, county officials said."
"A Loudoun County resident in their 40s tested positive after "attending Christ Church Georgetown," the county announced."
"A rector in his 50s at Christ Church Georgetown was the first person to test positive. He had "no history of international travel and no close contacts with a confirmed case," Bowser said. A 39-year-old organist at the same church later tested positive."

Or this one

or this one

could keep going on and on...

None of these stories prove that the church service/gathering was the source of the spread. People who attend church tend to mingle with each other, dine with each other afterwards, etc.

I am hoping that a scientist who studies infectious disease spread will design simulations or experiments to show the actual mechanics of transmission in various settings. There is no way that one person sitting around a handful of people is going to be able to infect half the attendees. In a church setting, if that one person is interacting with a large percentage and greeting them/mingling with them at various times then it would be possible.

A movie theatre or sports arena does not have the same type of interaction between attendees. If a single person in a 20,000 seat arena could infect a large percentage of the crowd at the event then the whole world would have it by now. If it spread that easily, the whole population would have been infected before any government could react at all. Every passenger on every flight with a single case would have been infected and they would have spread it to huge swaths of their community.

Even on the Diamond Princess, only 20% of the passengers were infected and that is with the cruise ship petri dish environment. Since Japan tested all of the passengers, that is the true number of infections.

flynnibus

Premium Member
None of these stories prove that the church service/gathering was the source of the spread. People who attend church tend to mingle with each other, dine with each other afterwards, etc.

It's cited in the stories because that's what the investigation found - even if you don't like it. Want another? Read this story and try to keep that same face..

I am hoping that a scientist who studies infectious disease spread will design simulations or experiments to show the actual mechanics of transmission in various settings. There is no way that one person sitting around a handful of people is going to be able to infect half the attendees. In a church setting, if that one person is interacting with a large percentage and greeting them/mingling with them at various times then it would be possible.

You never seen the priest greet every person as they leave? You never seen the donation bearers move through the crowd? You never seen communion? You never seen people great friends at an event like church?

You can keep the blinders on... but it's only you that you're hurting.

Notes from Neverland

A movie theatre or sports arena does not have the same type of interaction between attendees. If a single person in a 20,000 seat arena could infect a large percentage of the crowd at the event then the whole world would have it by now. If it spread that easily, the whole population would have been infected before any government could react at all. Every passenger on every flight with a single case would have been infected and they would have spread it to huge swaths of their community.

Even on the Diamond Princess, only 20% of the passengers were infected and that is with the cruise ship petri dish environment. Since Japan tested all of the passengers, that is the true number of infections.
We shall see. Early studies are pointing a finger at one major sporting event as a big reason behind some of the spread. Time will tell, but it doesn't look great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom