Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polynesia

sorry, not shooting the messenger, but it seems unlikely the demand will be there that soon. If the number of cases drops to a level of single digits per day or something than I could see ramping up. I don’t think we’ll be there in May yet. Who knows. My gut is the parks will re-open well before the cruise line.
That’s ok. I understand. I was surprised by the website update. Disney is takkimg with Canada to see if they can get their ships in there before July 1. At least things are moving along to some degree

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
To add some context, as cruise season would be starting here in Vancouver, Victoria etc. around this time... the season is currently banned until July... and even that is a soft date.

Yep. Was supposed to be at 360 this year (May). In Vancouver. Also was going to ITB Berlin (which got cancelled) and Phocuswright in Amsterdam (also cancelled - well they called it "postponed"). ASTA conference in DC in August is still on - for now at least.

hopemax

I have seen reports of many cases of COVID-19 linked to a single nightclub or party. I haven't seen reports of any outbreaks linked to a movie theatre or sports stadium.

You haven't been paying attention then. The Champions League game on February 19th between Valencia (Spain) and Atalanta (Bergamo, Italy) that was played in Milan is what is being looked at as a primary Super Spreader event and why Spain & Italy are the mess that they are. Epidemiologists are planning on, once this is done, conducting serology tests on the people who attended that game and see how many ended up becoming infected.

21stamps

My church (at the direction of a larger order) decided to stop holding devices even prior to the stay at home order, I know that was difficult for them, but I applauded the decision.

However, I am extremely uneasy about a pastor being arrested for holding a service in Tampa.

Disney Analyst

Yep. Was supposed to be at 360 this year (May). In Vancouver. Also was going to ITB Berlin (which got cancelled) and Phocuswright in Amsterdam (also cancelled - well they called it "postponed"). ASTA conference in DC in August is still on - for now at least.

Sorry to hear! Such a bummer. It's a huge impact for everyone, especially tourism. Vancouver had 1.1 million cruise passengers last year, with even more expected this year. And I mean, our season is generally April-October.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Looking less likely by the day my kids will go back to school before the fall :(

Pa. stay-at-home order extended until April 30, schools closed indefinitely
A pedestrian is seen through a closed shop at 5th and South Street on Saturday, March 28, 2020. A stay at home order has been issued in Philadelphia due to the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19). All nonessential businesses are closed. Restaurants are now takeout or delivery only.

HEATHER KHALIFA / STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER
A pedestrian is seen through a closed shop at 5th and South Street on Saturday, March 28, 2020.

A stay at home order has been issued in Philadelphia due to the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19). All nonessential businesses are closed. Restaurants are now takeout or delivery only.
Pennsylvania schools and nonessential businesses will be closed until further notice, Gov. Tom Wolf said on Monday, extending the closure due to the coronavirus pandemic indefinitely.
“We’re going to keep our schools and businesses closed as long as we need to keep them closed to keep Pennsylvania safe,” Wolf said. “I know this isn’t easy to hear... [but] if we want to save lives we must continue to distance ourselves from each other.”
His stay-at-home order will remain in place until at least April 30, for all 26 counties currently under the order.
He expanded his stay-at-home order to Carbon, Cumberland, Dauphin and Schuylkill Counties.
» READ MORE: Full list of what you can and can’t do under Gov. Tom Wolf’s coronavirus ‘stay-at-home’ order
The state corrected an earlier Monday announcement on the death toll, saying there have been 48 deaths to date.
Wolf said officials were working on a alternative learning plan that they hoped to have in place by the start of next week.
“We are working on a plan to make sure that we have a way to provide an education for the kids who are not getting the education for the next 2 months, so we are looking at that,” Wolf said Monday. “The hope is that we have that in place in the next few days.”

Disney Analyst

My church (at the direction of a larger order) decided to stop holding devices even prior to the stay at home order, I know that was difficult for them, but I applauded the decision.

However, I am extremely uneasy about a pastor being arrested for holding a service in Tampa.

I can see why you feel that way, I also think it seems heavy handed. But at the same time I support what all our levels of government are trying to achieve here in Canada. I think if state emergencies and public health orders are issued, and large prominent leaders of our communities are ignoring them... it really sends a terrible message and puts more at risk. I don't know what else they can do but be serious, and follow the law by arresting/punishing these people.

I know the city of Vancouver has already given business license suspensions to businesses not complying with orders/physical distancing regulations.

DisneyDebRob

Because logic dictates, and thus I assume the most logical scenario is an environment like a Cruise Ship won't be viable for public use until at least the fall. Remember, the virus is not going to just vanish. As public life ramps us, we will likely see a second surge, and then potentially a third surge before vaccines are available.
While reading your post, I thought Spock wrote it. Lots of logic in it.🙂 RIP Mr. Nimoy

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If this is as strict as the typical shelter in place orders...not gonna work for people (and businesses)...I can tell you right now.
seems the same to me:

Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam will order state residents to remain at home with some exceptions, as the state steps up its effort to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, a source familiar with the order said.

Northam’s order will allow people to leave their homes to seek a wide array of essential services like medical attention, food, banking and more.

The order will also limit access to the state’s beaches, barring swimming and sunbathing.

People will still be allowed to engage in outdoor activities, as long as they follow the state’s ban on gatherings larger than 10 people and remain 6 feet apart from others. The state’s parks will remain open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom